Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

This Is What Happens When One Doesn't Look At The Side Mirror When Changing Lanes

• Please log in to reply

ryder

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Highway tragedy: Downed superbikes and rider in the accident near the
Subang Jaya exit. — Picture courtesy of Hodaka Motoworld PJCC

The Star : Superbiker Dies In Crash
PETALING JAYA: A fun roadtrip among superbike enthusiasts ended in tragedy after one rider died and five others were seriously injured in an accident.

Ishak Jaafar, 53, died on the spot in the accident which occurred at about noon yesterday on KM13.6 of the North Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE) near the Subang Jaya exit.

The accident happened when a car driving on the middle lane of the highway suddenly swerved into the fast lane on the right, hitting six bikers.

It is believed that one of the injured bikers is a traffic policeman from Johor.

The convoy was heading north from Kota Tinggi, Johor.

The other injured bikers in the 12-man convoy were rushed to Hospital Sungai Buloh for treatment.

Ishak's body has been taken to Universiti Malaya Medical Centre for a post mortem.

The superbikes involved are estimated to cost between RM80,000 and RM150,000 each.

A post on the accident at the Fire and Rescue Department's official Facebook page saw over 500 users offering their condolences to Ishak's family.

br1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (ryder @ Nov 23 2012, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Highway tragedy: Downed superbikes and rider in the accident near the
Subang Jaya exit. — Picture courtesy of Hodaka Motoworld PJCC

The Star : Superbiker Dies In Crash
PETALING JAYA: A fun roadtrip among superbike enthusiasts ended in tragedy after one rider died and five others were seriously injured in an accident.

Ishak Jaafar, 53, died on the spot in the accident which occurred at about noon yesterday on KM13.6 of the North Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE) near the Subang Jaya exit.

The accident happened when a car driving on the middle lane of the highway suddenly swerved into the fast lane on the right, hitting six bikers.

It is believed that one of the injured bikers is a traffic policeman from Johor.

The convoy was heading north from Kota Tinggi, Johor.

The other injured bikers in the 12-man convoy were rushed to Hospital Sungai Buloh for treatment.

Ishak's body has been taken to Universiti Malaya Medical Centre for a post mortem.

The superbikes involved are estimated to cost between RM80,000 and RM150,000 each.

A post on the accident at the Fire and Rescue Department's official Facebook page saw over 500 users offering their condolences to Ishak's family.

This is problem of inexperienced superbike convoy riders, cant blame other for this tragedy! They caused other to caused an accident and they really it is their fault from my point of view!!!
From one of my experience - they keep flashing their headlight and sirens!!!!! who are they to do that? God know what I did that day!

Why most drivers suddenly change lane? It is because the superbikes is so fast & loud, and worst when in a convoy and when the 1st bike past a car in the fast lane (and they do it on the left side) with their their sudden loud exhaust that scared and shocked the car driver, who immediately reacted by checking his/her side mirrors and when he/she see more bikes coming from the back? out of normal reflect action they are sure to steer left and into the middle lane for these bikes to pass without thinking these inexperienced (thinking they are king on the road) superbikes that are doing at easily from 160kph onwards, and there it goes!!!! I have adviced all my family members, friends, and relatives to keep calm and just stay put on the same lane you are driving and don't steer to avoid this tragedy!!! my experienced superbikes friends (many had died this way) are aware of this problem - always happens and it is not the car drivers fauls, so he usually do drive alone or max 1 -3 riders at 260kph!!!!!!!! Experience riders never rides fast in convoy!!!!! they have money to buy superbikes - no money to pay for track maybe?

ryder

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
QUOTE (br1 @ Nov 24 2012, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is problem of inexperienced superbike convoy riders, cant blame other for this tragedy! They caused other to caused an accident and they really it is their fault from my point of view!!!
From one of my experience - they keep flashing their headlight and sirens!!!!! who are they to do that? God know what I did that day!

Why most drivers suddenly change lane? It is because the superbikes is so fast & loud, and worst when in a convoy and when the 1st bike past a car in the fast lane (and they do it on the left side) with their their sudden loud exhaust that scared and shocked the car driver, who immediately reacted by checking his/her side mirrors and when he/she see more bikes coming from the back? out of normal reflect action they are sure to steer left and into the middle lane for these bikes to pass without thinking these inexperienced (thinking they are king on the road) superbikes that are doing at easily from 160kph onwards, and there it goes!!!! I have adviced all my family members, friends, and relatives to keep calm and just stay put on the same lane you are driving and don't steer to avoid this tragedy!!! my experienced superbikes friends (many had died this way) are aware of this problem - always happens and it is not the car drivers fauls, so he usually do drive alone or max 1 -3 riders at 260kph!!!!!!!! Experience riders never rides fast in convoy!!!!! they have money to buy superbikes - no money to pay for track maybe?

You certainly got a point there. However, in this accident no one knows who is more at fault, but from the reporting and also the manner which the mishap has occured, the driver certainly appears to be more at fault here irrespective of whether the noise from the superbikes are too loud or they are going too fast on the highways or whether they are permitted to be on the highways in the first place.

There may be motorcyclists who cause accidents, but it is almost always the driver's fault when a motorcyclist is knocked down or worse, a life is sacrificed.

You have mentioned the superbikers may have flashed their sirens or headlights. Even they have done so, the driver of car in front will definitely have looked at the side or rear mirrors. Even if the driver is slightly perturbed or for the lack of better term, panicked, he/she shouldn't have changed lanes abruptly, due to inexperience or something else. And nobody knows what happens on this day. The superbikers may have been driving on legal speed limits but the driver of the car didn't look at the side mirror and suddenly changed to the fast lane, knocking down the superbikers.

At any rate, this accident could have been avoided if the driver of the car looked at the side mirror before changing lanes. You have a point that the driver is inexperienced and may have panicked, but that if all the assumptions have translasted to real life. Nobody knows what happens on that day. The laws do not prohibit superbikers from using the highways.

Yes, race tracks may be more appropriate for superbikers who want to have their adrenalines running, but the superbikers may not be in race mood on this day. In the news article, it was mentioned that the convoy was heading up north from JB.

In summary, I suppose any vehicle that knocks down a motorcyclist will always be held accountable ie. in the wrong, especially when a life is lost, irrespective of who is more at fault with regards to highway rules or ethics. It is always wise to be more alert when on the road, especially with motorcyclists weaving in and out in between lanes in heavy traffic. And I agree there are equally as many irresponsible motorcyclists on the road as with other vehicle drivers.

br1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (ryder @ Nov 24 2012, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You certainly got a point there. However, in this accident no one knows who is more at fault, but from the reporting and also the manner which the mishap has occured, the driver certainly appears to be more at fault here irrespective of whether the noise from the superbikes are too loud or they are going too fast on the highways or whether they are permitted to be on the highways in the first place. of course the report will be at driver fault as there are most probably all the bike riders said so, so majority win, but in this sort of accident the bike riders lost in their life and at disavantage - due to it lees protective & fragile 2 wheels situation.

There may be motorcyclists who cause accidents, but it is almost always the driver's fault when a motorcyclist is knocked down or worse, a life is sacrificed. Is this the new Malaysia law now, I really do not know about this, then bike riders win.

You have mentioned the superbikers may have flashed their sirens or headlights. Even they have done so, the driver of car in front will definitely have looked at the side or rear mirrors. Even if the driver is slightly perturbed or for the lack of better term, panicked, he/she shouldn't have changed lanes abruptly, due to inexperience or something else. And nobody knows what happens on this day. The superbikers may have been driving on legal speed limits but the driver of the car didn't look at the side mirror and suddenly changed to the fast lane, knocking down the superbikers. this reflect action is all human instinct

At any rate, this accident could have been avoided if the driver of the car looked at the side mirror before changing lanes. You have a point that the driver is inexperienced and may have panicked, but that if all the assumptions have translasted to real life. Nobody knows what happens on that day. nobody know, agreed

The laws do not prohibit superbikers from using the highways. they are legal to use the highway, but still have to maintain at legal speed

Yes, race tracks may be more appropriate for superbikers who want to have their adrenalines running, but the superbikers may not be in race mood on this day. In the news article, it was mentioned that the convoy was heading up north from JB. no body know, but.... a superbikes doing at legal speed is not easy to tolerate, frankly I personally cannot tahan doing at legal speed, I dont own one but occassionaly do take a short ride - alone on empty road

In summary, I suppose any vehicle that knocks down a motorcyclist will always be held accountable ie. in the wrong, especially when a life is lost, irrespective of who is more at fault with regards to highway rules or ethics. It is always wise to be more alert when on the road, especially with motorcyclists weaving in and out in between lanes in heavy traffic. And I agree there are equally as many irresponsible motorcyclists on the road as with other vehicle drivers. Hope so, more responsible road users to avoid this from happening

seraicar

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

seraicar

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

As usual Malaysian trafic enforcement is next to useless other than showing hands to go here or there. Should arrest drivers who beat red lights and change lanes recklessly and drive dangerously instead of issuing useless summons.

crusader2

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

crusader2

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
If the bikers are cruising within speed limits, there should only be injuries, not life threatening. The result is obvious. The bikers were going way beyond speed limit and this caused them to lose control even with their powerful brakes. I have been on the bike for more than 10 years and witnessed almost all convoys speed beyond 140kmh on highways. The law is not perfect. Hope ppl start to see from the broader view.

br1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (crusader2 @ Nov 24 2012, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the bikers are cruising within speed limits, there should only be injuries, not life threatening. The result is obvious. The bikers were going way beyond speed limit and this caused them to lose control even with their powerful brakes. I have been on the bike for more than 10 years and witnessed almost all convoys speed beyond 140kmh on highways. The law is not perfect. Hope ppl start to see from the broader view.

smile_thumbup.gif , agreed 140 - 200 kph is very normal and even more are standard for super bikes, so really it a risks to bikers and other innocense road users.

rallychamp

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
i agree if they obey speed limit, the accident could be lesser than that...

BUT

even those biker ride within speed limit,accident still occurs as long as there is idiot driver changing lane without looking in ther rear,side mirror....

in fact...even at snail pace 40-60kmh in town,most accident happens due to cars abruptly change lane without thinking for other road users safety...especially when the driver from a junction of left lane suddenly went to the right lane for nothing...just because right lane is "king lane" year...act like a king driving on the right and hogging the lane at snail pace

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

crusader2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

crusader2

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ Nov 24 2012, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i agree if they obey speed limit, the accident could be lesser than that...

BUT

even those biker ride within speed limit,accident still occurs as long as there is idiot driver changing lane without looking in ther rear,side mirror....

in fact...even at snail pace 40-60kmh in town,most accident happens due to cars abruptly change lane without thinking for other road users safety...especially when the driver from a junction of left lane suddenly went to the right lane for nothing...just because right lane is "king lane" year...act like a king driving on the right and hogging the lane at snail pace

I agree on perhaps it was partially the driver's fault.

Keep in mind that the news was reported by local media and the 'victim' is a police officer. I'm sure we understand how incidents are being reported involving polis DIRAJA. We don't even know the REAL story behind this case. The Subang exit on NKVE is always on relatively heavy traffic. The cars coming out from Subang will cause the cars to gradually change to the fast lane to accommodate the traffic. Anyone who is arrogant enough to speed in this section will have its fate.

rallychamp

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
QUOTE (crusader2 @ Nov 25 2012, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree on perhaps it was partially the driver's fault.

Keep in mind that the news was reported by local media and the 'victim' is a police officer. I'm sure we understand how incidents are being reported involving polis DIRAJA. We don't even know the REAL story behind this case. The Subang exit on NKVE is always on relatively heavy traffic. The cars coming out from Subang will cause the cars to gradually change to the fast lane to accommodate the traffic. Anyone who is arrogant enough to speed in this section will have its fate.

yup...speeding also was the contributing factor smile_wink.gif

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)