Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

2010 Hyundai Tucson (showroom Visit)

• Please log in to reply

Informer

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
2010 Hyundai Tucson (Showroom Visit)
Personal Review
PART 1
- First look

It was almost about 5pm when I reach the Hyundai Showroom.
From a far, I can see a silver Tuscon outside the showroom under a tent.
Nice design, I must say.

I look around, admiring the sculptured design lines and must admit, at certain angle, it looks really good and futuristic.
I then open the rear door, and felt a bit disappointed with the interior.
The dashboard is a bit plasticiky to my liking, compared to the soft plastic of the Starex unit in the Showroom.
The interior with gray leather with no tone between the seats and side interior door panel looks dull.
It just doesn't connect to me to see everything just in one tone outlook.

On the other hand, the dashboard design feels somewhat weird looking, but symmetrically arranged.
As I see it, the center air-con vent on the driver side is too close to the steering wheel as from my experience driving the Avante, one can get cold fingers from it.
It also hinders the air-flow to the rear passengers.
The air-con vent on the passenger side seem to at an angle, that makes me wonder how practical is it to be design in such a way.

The speedometer is somewhat enclosed in a binnacle, as if, it looks like you need to look inside a periscope kind of thing.
Why can't people just stick to flat-screen meter dashboard nowadays, instead creating curvy, angular, circular shapes like seen here. smile_disapprove.gif

Steering design looks normal with a few buttons situated on the left side.
Gated gear-shifts with +/- shiftronic seems to be standard nowadays.
The side door pocket looks a bit too small and shallow to put any maps or your things in it. It's also weird looking on my point of view.

The only thing that make me smile is the sunroof. Since the switch was off, unable to test it.
The best view of the Tucson, is the rear end. The design look different from any other SUV's like the Harrier, RX, Murano etc.
Hopefully, can get a test-drive and share my view here later.
Don't take my word here, it's just my thoughts. Visit the showroom, see it for yourself, and share your thoughts here also. smile_big.gif

Front view looks nice

Rear end looks sexy
Explore more about the Tucson...
Click here...

Download the e-brochure...
Click here...
---

Updated: 10 May 2010
Part II - DRIVEN
Read review...
Click here...

Amendended Specifications, features and price-list;
Click here...
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

Kevin

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
You must let us know which model you looked at specifically else we will be guessing here and there.

Good points raised and my comments on them. All comments are my own opinion only smile_approve.gif

I would consider it as a black interior instead of grey. I personally like the monotone scheme used as I have seen very distasteful colour combinations in other cars. To me, the black monotone interior is a non-issue.

The door bins are actually very big for me. What car do you drive? Does it have bigger door bins than the Tucson? I cannot imagine anything bigger than those on the Tucson. You will realise that there are indents in the door bins to allow for mineral water bottles and other various-sized commonly-used everyday objects, to prevent them from moving around the door bin. A lot of other cars just have a straight leading edge for the door bins which lets items inside slide front, back, and everywhere.

Yes, the dashboard is made of hard plastic when compared against the soft-touch plastics used on the upper dashboard of the Starex and the Sonata NF but the textures and colour are spot on in projecting a perception of quality. It is the same with the Honda CRV. Dashboard looks top-notch but upon closer inspection, it's all hard plastic as well! One thing about the Tucson's dashboard is that it does not creak when pressure in applied across the entire dashboard. I cannot say the same for its nearest competitor which has certain areas that creak with applied pressure.

Yes, air vents MAY be angled too much towards the front passengers but it has to be confirmed during an actual drive. As for your comment on getting "cold fingers", can't you close the offending air vent?

As for the binnacles around the speedo and tacho, you can thank Alfa Romeo for starting that design language. I like it because it only means that my passengers cannot tell my actual vehicle speed smile_tongue.gif Binnacles are better than normal flat panels because you never get reflections with binnacles.

lcw8067

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

lcw8067

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Good review...

Plz post your review here after real test drive. Is the engine loud?

lcw8067

kswei

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

kswei

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:edu#~#homefam#~#motoring#~#sports
Am suppose to come back and view this car in Malaysia sometimes this week, somehow, i was in frankfurt.. nice place to be for cars.

And I bump into a car sales, which brings me to my first encounter to the Tucson, what a surprise, and it is also my first encounter with ford kuga.

Everything looks similar, except tucson seems like having a bigger space, especially the back seat.. , however, for the dashboard, Ford looks and feels better.

And for the price, Tucson 2.0 cost Euro 22-24k, whereas the Ford is about 36k euro..for the same 2.0 but 4x4, maybe better specs..

Of course, there's also a nice W212, well, as Taxi, I hv seen many of this on the street.

More cars pls refer to my album.
http://picasaweb.goo...027906075669444
1st Member of AW Since 1999

Informer

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
QUOTE (kswei @ May 4 2010, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am suppose to come back and view this car in Malaysia sometimes this week, somehow, i was in frankfurt.. nice place to be for cars.

And I bump into a car sales, which brings me to my first encounter to the Tucson, what a surprise, and it is also my first encounter with ford kuga.

Everything looks similar, except tucson seems like having a bigger space, especially the back seat.. , however, for the dashboard, Ford looks and feels better.

And for the price, Tucson 2.0 cost Euro 22-24k, whereas the Ford is about 36k euro..for the same 2.0 but 4x4, maybe better specs..

Of course, there's also a nice W212, well, as Taxi, I hv seen many of this on the street.

More cars pls refer to my album.
http://picasaweb.goo...027906075669444

Nice collection of photos you got there...

sharing info...
2010 Hyundai Tucson promo video
Youtube video...
Kind of a bit hilarious...
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

budiman888

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

budiman888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
it looks like 2.0 high spec version with power seat like stated in product catalog but the actual without ?? please read the product catalog.

Informer

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
QUOTE (budiman888 @ May 5 2010, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it looks like 2.0 high spec version with power seat like stated in product catalog but the actual without ?? please read the product catalog.

Usually in all brochures, there are clause saying...
"Actual sales unit might change from the ones shown here" (brochure)...
That's why, SA's gives photocopy of specs, accessories details, when doing sales...
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

ck88loh

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

ck88loh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
not only the catalogue , the price list also specify 2.0 high spec with power seat at driver site .. in this case , 2.0 high spec should have e. power seat , right ??

i even chk with several sale in hyundai , even their training documents say the same thing .. 2.0 high spec with power seat at driver side.

this is my 1st hyundai , i start to feel bad already if they try to take this e power seat out ....

to all who has placed the booking for 2.0 high spec ... pls rings your sales up n double chk ..

terencetai

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:38 AM

terencetai

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
QUOTE (ck88loh @ May 5 2010, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not only the catalogue , the price list also specify 2.0 high spec with power seat at driver site .. in this case , 2.0 high spec should have e. power seat , right ??

i even chk with several sale in hyundai , even their training documents say the same thing .. 2.0 high spec with power seat at driver side.

this is my 1st hyundai , i start to feel bad already if they try to take this e power seat out ....

to all who has placed the booking for 2.0 high spec ... pls rings your sales up n double chk ..

we already received a memo one week ago saying that 2.0 high spec doesnt come with power seat.& instruct us to put a sticker to cover the catalogue"s mistake.
only 2.4 's with driver power seat & lumbar support.

Best Regards

jflee169

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

jflee169

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
First of all, i am not a car expert. From a consumer perspective, I would think it's worth to buy with such design, build-quality, specs and price. On top of the 5 years or 300,000 kms warranty, SD should give 2 years or 40,000kms free maintenance. This would attract more buyers and build up the Hyundai branding.
JFLEE