Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

SYM GTS 200 Experience (sepakat Eleganers)

• Please log in to reply

jeanmarie

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

jeanmarie

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I just bought a GTS 200 au Vietnam (Saigon) and I am very interested by your comments. Indded, I would very much like to know why SYM call the GTS 200 while the engine is said to be 171,2cc only. In Vietnam, the maximum capacty for normal rider is 175cc. For higher bikes you need a special licence.
I hav'nt seen any indications of the engine capacity on the block ? If it was 198cc as you suggested, that would be nice. The fuel tank size of my bike is actually 12L.
Any mods to boost the engine would be welcome.

JeanMarie

QUOTE (joyscoot @ Mar 2 2009, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all forummers

have been following your posts for quite sometime now and must admit that I had gained much insight into this new to the Malaysian Market scooter, SYM....thanks to all here. After having sold my Vulcan 500 last year... thinking that I won't be doing much riding anymore, found that without a bike in the house, it sure feels like a void to be filled. So, in Dec'08, bought myself a used VS125 ....reminiscence of a scooter experience much earlier and spend quite a tidy sum doing it up till it not only looked good and new but runs smooth as silk too. Nevertheless, it was difficult for me to get accustomed to the much smaller power output (max speed 80km/h) and as such decided to trade it in or sell it off.

Last Sat, I signed up for a new SYM GTS 200, silver colour is the only one available ex stock. Guess I am perhaps the first SYM GTS 200 owner in Ipoh or at least bought from a local shop here. There is still no service centre in Ipoh and I understand that KF is no longer distributing them now as it is currently undertaken by MForce of BM (same director as Mega Fortune from Pg). There is also no more mentioned of NIMOTA in the new brochures. I sure hope the specs, built quality and the material used is still maintained as in SYM original units. I was told it is CKD in 2 crates. One with the frame, engine and most of the other parts already assembled and the other has the wheels and covers. One area that I find it difficult to understand is that if you were to check SYM Taiwan site, the JoyRide 200cc has only a displacement of 171.2cc but yet SYM still sees it fit to labelled the scoot as 200cc whereas the Joyride 125cc is accurately matched to its actual displacement. Why the use of the acronym cc in the model? I think our GTS 200 has the body of Joymax 125/250 but the engine of Joyride 200cc. Check out the the site http://www.sym.com.t...p...&bid=51#spe

I was told too that the power of the scoot can be increased by changing the "coil" which then could make it max out at 165km/h. Was told that this coil assembly will be available soon as a modular kit that we could upgrade to. Gee, I am beginning to wonder whether does this scoot actually comes with displacement of 198cc but under declared as 171.2cc for obvious marketing reasons or APs and what not . But why the marriage of components of different models and not instead say Joymax 125 or 250? Anybody can enlighten us on this? Could it be that perhaps it is that only the first batch of GTS 200 is equipped with 198cc displacement and 12L tank and it is no longer such for current stock?? Anybody can confirm this? I will check out the fuel tank size the first thing I get the bike this coming week as it is declared as 8.5L (Joyride 200cc) in the new brochure whereas Joymax 125/250 has 12L. With no data on the block, bore or piston,stoke how can we be sure of its displacement?

Hope there are some owners in Ipoh too that we can meet or chat with regards to our rides. But it will be great too nevertheless to join you fellas even from other states in convoys , trips or even just tt if time permits.
Thank you.

KLScoot

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

KLScoot

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 815 posts
It's been awhile since i logged in here. I've owned the GTS 200 for a little less than 2 years now & has clocked in about 11k km and the bike is none for the worse in wear & tear except for the normal routine maintenance.

I've heard that the Segambut center is now open. Thinking of getting my bike serviced there, would appreciate if anyone can give me the address and contact no. of the Segambut center.

Thanks in advance. smile_thumbup.gif
Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

KLScoot's facebook

klimal

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

klimal

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
QUOTE (KLScoot @ Mar 31 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's been awhile since i logged in here. I've owned the GTS 200 for a little less than 2 years now & has clocked in about 11k km and the bike is none for the worse in wear & tear except for the normal routine maintenance.

I've heard that the Segambut center is now open. Thinking of getting my bike serviced there, would appreciate if anyone can give me the address and contact no. of the Segambut center.

Thanks in advance. smile_thumbup.gif

03-6258 1333

Lose weight HOW? ask me NOW !
Stay young and active with BiHRT.
Facial Rejuvenation with PRP.

arrashid89

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

arrashid89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
QUOTE (KLScoot @ Aug 2 2007, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello fellas,

This is to kick off the SYM GTS 200 Experience thread. So all GTS 200
riders & oso all the Sifus, Gurus, Mahagurus & Otais of Elegan pls
contribute your two sen worth here as we can all benefit from your years of
hard riding, belt wearing & pulley breaking experience!! Haha! No seriously
it will be a tremendous help to us as GTS 200 is relatively new in our
market & we'll need any advice we can get & not run around like chickens
without heads!

Pls keep the discussion on this thread tight & not stray off course, as we
are mean battle hardened pot bellied bikers!! Haha!

"home of the Braves"

arrashid89

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

arrashid89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Howdy guys,
i jest sign up fer a new SYM GTS200 after reading it and visiting the show room in Seremban town.,was quite impress the features n looks.Hopefully tis model is good and have fun riding it .Like to meet the new Buddies here too.may b can have a SYM club huh..
"home of the Braves"

arrashid89

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

arrashid89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi guys jest got my bike today SYM
"home of the Braves"

arrashid89

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

arrashid89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
QUOTE (KLScoot @ Aug 2 2007, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello fellas,

This is to kick off the SYM GTS 200 Experience thread. So all GTS 200
riders & oso all the Sifus, Gurus, Mahagurus & Otais of Elegan pls
contribute your two sen worth here as we can all benefit from your years of
hard riding, belt wearing & pulley breaking experience!! Haha! No seriously
it will be a tremendous help to us as GTS 200 is relatively new in our
market & we'll need any advice we can get & not run around like chickens
without heads!

Pls keep the discussion on this thread tight & not stray off course, as we
are mean battle hardened pot bellied bikers!! Haha!

Hi..ima new biker of SYM ...jest to make frens

"home of the Braves"

KLScoot

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

KLScoot

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 815 posts
QUOTE (klimal @ Mar 31 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
03-6258 1333

Thanks for the contact. Called them up & asked for their address:

No. 17 Jln Segambut Atas,
Taman Segambut

(beside Nissan Tan Chong).

Opening hours:
Mon - Fri 9am - 6pm
Sat 9am - 1pm
Sun (closed).

KLScoot's facebook

KLScoot

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

KLScoot

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 815 posts
Google map for Segambut Center:

SYM Service Center, Segambut

KLScoot's facebook

KLScoot

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

KLScoot

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 815 posts
Read an interesting shootout between Suzuki 125 Burgman, Piaggio X-Evo, Honda S-Wing and Sym GTS 125! The review was in French so u would have to decipher whatever's lost in the translation. Stacked up against the likes of japanese & european models, the sym gts regularly returns lower ratings in most categories when compared with the other 3, but what do u expect when the other machines cost 2 or 3 times more! BTW Sym GTS is the no.1 best seller in France for its range!

GTS shootout!

Review of SYM GTS 125

Has anyone come across shootouts of GTS 200? Pls post.

KLScoot's facebook