Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Revisit: Buying A Sonata Ef 2.0 (2002/2003)

• Please log in to reply

mrezwan

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:13 AM

mrezwan

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Hi all...

I know many forumers have discussed this topic in previous years. But now is 2011, so I think I should get the latest opinion from the sifus and sonata owners here.

I'm thinking of buying a Sonata 2.0 (year 2002/2003) with the price of ranging between RM20k - Rm30k.

I would like to seek the kind assistance from all the sifus & the sonata owner to help me on certain matters.

1. Whether this car (2002/2003) is a good buy & worth for the money?

2. The performance

3. Fuel consumption

4. Maintenance / spare-part cost

5. Any other matters that I should consider before buying this car.

Thanking you guys in advance for helping me in this matter.

mrezwan

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

mrezwan

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
can someone give some view?

cyberian82

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

cyberian82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
QUOTE (mrezwan @ Jun 8 2011, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
can someone give some view?

why dont getting Sonata NF instead? it seem less problem if compare to EF

mrezwan

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:29 AM

mrezwan

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
well...becoz its cheap...below 30k....can you elaborate more about the problems?

mrezwan

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

mrezwan

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
aloo...? nobody want to help??

roocarroll

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
There is a reason why that D-Segment car is so cheap compared to Accords or Camrys of the same age.

Poor fuel consumption, poor reliability, poor build quality. It's quite a nice looking car but you'll be buying into a lot of problems.

That said, what else can you get for RM30k?

mrezwan

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

mrezwan

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
I never thought that car really that bad

Kwar

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

Kwar

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 656 posts
Mrezwan,

FYI, my best fren driving a Kia Optima 2005 model (same as Sonata EF). Til today after 6yrs + ( >200k km) he never encounter any big probs except the wear & tear! Tis model oso hv less probs model among other early 2000-2005 Kia's models - u can ask any Kia SC for confirmation! Dont trust any comment made from non genuine owner. For the price 30-35k (2004/2005) its really a value for money. For the Optima its a CBU so u can feel the built quality. The comfort is much better than my previous Honda Civic FD!! Comparing side by side with Perdana, Accord, Camry (1998-2001) model, its offer much better safety features - 2 airbags, ABS + EBD + BA + TCS! The 'xtra' tiptronic 4 speed autobox is superb smooth!

For the FC i think its std for 2.0 cars. My fren can get 580km for 65 litres! High speed cruising is a breeze, u wont realize it though the speedo is already 180km/h! Juz buy a well maintained car, u will be suprise with a value for money ride!

* For ur info, the 2.0 engine is from Mitsubishi 4g63 unit! Its a same engine as EVO 3-4... smile_thumbup.gif

If giving a choice i'll prefer Optima than the Sonata coz it has personality (not jaguar wannabe), CBU model & sunroof!

mrezwan

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

mrezwan

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Hi Kwar,

Thanks for the respond. I really appreciate it. But do sonata and optima came from same platform and same engine? Can you please explain the differences? You mention that 2005 model is the least problem, meaning that I should survey the for 2005 Kia optima model?

thanks

Kwar

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

Kwar

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 656 posts
QUOTE (mrezwan @ Jul 4 2011, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Kwar,

Thanks for the respond. I really appreciate it. But do sonata and optima came from same platform and same engine? Can you please explain the differences? You mention that 2005 model is the least problem, meaning that I should survey the for 2005 Kia optima model?

thanks

Optima & Sonata 90% are the same....the different only the front & back sections. Inter changeable parts (mechanical & electrical), doors, w/screen...suspension system all are the same - double wishbone front/multi link rear!

Dunno how true but the facelift model (2005) is an enhanced model - some said better FC/pick up. For Optima u can see the different from the front turning lamp - clear color (new) / orange (older)! For long distances drive the FC is much better than PV6... my fren previously owned PV6 he said KL - Kota Bharu RM120, Optima only RM 80!

The NVH oso on par with the japs, the suspension is tuned on softer side - comfort! Parts oso not expensive :

Brake pads (ori) FR RM 245, RR RM150 (pair)
Water pum (ori) RM 190, timing belt (ori) - parts & labor RM 650
Engine mountings FR RM95, RR RM150, RH RM190, LH RM185.
Radiator (Made in Korea) RM480...