Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Altis 1.8 Vs Golf 1.4

• Please log in to reply

pat1988

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

pat1988

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
QUOTE (1800Optra @ Apr 17 2011, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is my parting phrase, since you seem to like phrases.
It is better to remain silent and thought to be a fool, then speak and leave no doubt.

Heh-heh, you are so right! smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif

amir

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

amir

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
Its interesting that you decided to quote the phrase "There is no replacement for displacement". I reckoned that phrase was probably coined 20 year ago?
Notice that current formula 1 car are running on 2.4 liter instead of 3.0 liter a couple of years ago. Notice also that the track times for the 2.4 liter cars are no slower then the 3.0 liter cars. Interesting isn't it?

I love facts, here are some for you.

VW Golf 1.4 TSI
BHP - 160
Torque - 240 Nm from 1500 rpm - 4500 rpm
Kerb Weight - 1361

Toyota Altis 2.0
BHP - 147
Torque - 187 @ 3600 rpm
Kerb Weight - 1315

Both facts figures were obtain from their respective manufacture's website (local version)

Guess which of the two listed above have won world car of the year and world engine of the year?

Oh... don't even get started on "That's why gov tax higher cc cars. Makes sense right?"
Since when does govt... any govt. tax make sense??? Does the proposed GST make sense?
Sales and excise tax for cars to protect local car manufacture make sense?
Your beloved Altis cost 30% less in Thailand , does that make sense?

It is better to remain silent and thought to be a fool, then speak and leave no doubt.

Our mr langdon loves his altis very much. To each his own. As owner and driver of altis 1.8g and having tested the TSI, indeed the TSI will smoke the Altis, even the 2.0 dual vvti.

When a GTi smokes a proton (or a Toyota), it doesn't make the GTi driver a hero.

br1

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:47 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
Its interesting that you decided to quote the phrase "There is no replacement for displacement". I reckoned that phrase was probably coined 20 year ago?
Notice that current formula 1 car are running on 2.4 liter instead of 3.0 liter a couple of years ago. Notice also that the track times for the 2.4 liter cars are no slower then the 3.0 liter cars. Interesting isn't it?

I love facts, here are some for you.

VW Golf 1.4 TSI
BHP - 160
Torque - 240 Nm from 1500 rpm - 4500 rpm
Kerb Weight - 1361

Toyota Altis 2.0
BHP - 147
Torque - 187 @ 3600 rpm
Kerb Weight - 1315

Both facts figures were obtain from their respective manufacture's website (local version)

Guess which of the two listed above have won world car of the year and world engine of the year?

Oh... don't even get started on "That's why gov tax higher cc cars. Makes sense right?"
Since when does govt... any govt. tax make sense??? Does the proposed GST make sense?
Sales and excise tax for cars to protect local car manufacture make sense?
Your beloved Altis cost 30% less in Thailand , does that make sense?

Hi! 1800Optra,

Telling them what is hp/nm and at what rpm - he will not know all these specs or know what we are talking about.
Maybe what he know is, why a 1.4 TSi so expensive, and still so many plp buy? and ..... etc....
Dont wasting time to educate him, he buy T brand cos everybody buy them, second hand value, cheaper parts maintenance, but times have changes!!! Check out a 2005 Golf 2.0GTi Mk5, it is still selling at RM150K+, check the T brand car? s yourself and see if they have that good 2nd value, like 15-20yrs ago?

sramesh

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:04 PM

sramesh

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
I've owned a 2009 Camry 2.4V and have test drove the 1.4 TSI recently. I can tell you this, the TSI will not only smoke the altis 1.8/2.0 but also the Camry 2.0/2.4...easily. Please include the H make as well. The Dual VVTi + CVT is no comparison to the TSI + DSG. And lets not start on the build quality + features + automotive technology. Please do an apple to apple comparison and not otherwise.

mzi

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:45 PM

mzi

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 512 posts
I think this VW driver didn't want to race with this Altis guy.

Can you name me a Japanese make esp H or T within the 1.6-2.0 liter engine range that actually come with features like rain-sensing wipers,auto-headlight and soft-padded dashboard? I can tell u NONE!

Some don't even come with digital a/c climate control (most do) and even a trip computer in the case of Honda Civic.

So I think VW is better in many ways,Peugeots as well.

there you have it.

mavicarus

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:52 PM

mavicarus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
Last time when I was driving my Perodua Kembara, I overtook 3 Ferrari's on the highway.

Yup, I "smoked" them as well. And I feel satisfied with my Perodua Kembara as well!

LOL I love how TS's logic comes about as well. The Ferrari drivers were busy playing with their paddle shifters and other controls on their steering wheel and they just might have set their cars on reverse as well. smile_tongue.gif

br1

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:53 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (mzi @ Apr 17 2011, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you name me a Japanese make esp H or T within the 1.6-2.0 liter engine range that actually come with features like rain-sensing wipers,auto-headlight and soft-padded dashboard? I can tell u NONE!

Some don't even come with digital a/c climate control (most do) and even a trip computer in the case of Honda Civic.

there you have it.

Well said!!! smile_thumbup.gif
the P308 THP?

A345

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:17 AM

A345

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
QUOTE (mzi @ Apr 17 2011, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there you have it.

Mazda 3 2.0 bro. It has all the features u mentioned abv coz am driving one.

phas3r

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:03 AM

phas3r

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
thanks for the topic, made my day smile_big.gif

dasauto

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

dasauto

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
Thanks All,

I had a good laugh.
We alll loves our cars, baby or wudever, but SAFETY comes 1st.
hahahahahaha.....SMOKIN~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!