Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Altis 1.8 Vs Golf 1.4

• Please log in to reply

ain206

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

ain206

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
QUOTE (Langdon @ Apr 17 2011, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today while driving an Altis 1.8 I managed to outrun one of the new Golf Tsi at the traffic lights.

Was approaching a white Golf at the lights and there was no car in front so I decided to see how the altis compares to the Golf.

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to make the Golf driver smell my exhaust fumes.

I know everyone is going to say that it is unfair as the Golf only has a small 1.4 engine and probably heavier body but the car cost an awful lot for small car with a small engine.

By the way the Altis 1.8 is unmodded stock engine...

hahahaha....you jalan-jalan cari pelanggan, the Golf jalan-jalan cari makan

try out if both jalan-jalan cari pasal...... and better still use the old gombak-bentong road.... not on you cannot see the smoke, altis will become atos.....

chargerguy

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

chargerguy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
QUOTE (ain206 @ Apr 17 2011, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hahahaha....you jalan-jalan cari pelanggan, the Golf jalan-jalan cari makan

try out if both jalan-jalan cari pasal...... and better still use the old gombak-bentong road.... not on you cannot see the smoke, altis will become atos.....

kaKAkaKAkaKAkaKAkaKAkaKKAaKAkaKAkaKAkaKAkaKAkaKKAkaAkkaKA

smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif

br1

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
Today while driving an Altis 1.8 I managed to outrun one of the new Golf Tsi at the traffic lights.

Was approaching a white Golf at the lights and there was no car in front so I decided to see how the altis compares to the Golf.

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to make the Golf driver smell my exhaust fumes.

I know everyone is going to say that it is unfair as the Golf only has a small 1.4 engine and probably heavier body but the car cost an awful lot for small car with a small engine.

I think If I am you I dont know where I am going to hide my face, I suggest if you still have the chance, better call up and ask autoworld to delete off this topic before more 1.4 TSi and eventually 1.2 TSi polo kakis also will come in to comment and challenge you. So dont make a laughing stock of yourself and also will bring disgrace to your make of car.

If you said yours is a Mod Altis then we may not comment!

hideiyoshi

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

hideiyoshi

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts
I guessed Langdon dun need to smoke the Golf Tsi coz he's got smoked here ady.............. funny, at least brought some cheers here. smile_thumbup.gif

br1

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (hideiyoshi @ Apr 17 2011, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guessed Langdon dun need to smoke the Golf Tsi coz he's got smoked here ady.............. funny, at least brought some cheers here. smile_thumbup.gif

He is going to get more smoke soon, I have b/f this post to the VM Golf TSi forum, let them or maybe the younger bro Polo Tsi will come smoking too at him.

smile_cool.gif kakakakakak smile_big.gif

Good taht this "smoker" to bring cheers to us all ! Hope he really go to take a free test drive of a TSI 1.2 or 1.4 or even better the 2.0 GTi and kena poison! depending on his barget then, where can tahan when you really feel the Ummmppppp!

pat1988

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

pat1988

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Har-har...... you are so funny................ sure the TSI was not driving reverse gear? smile_question.gif

wanida

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

wanida

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
QUOTE (br1 @ Apr 17 2011, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think If I am you I dont know where I am going to hide my face, I suggest if you still have the chance, better call up and ask autoworld to delete off this topic before more 1.4 TSi and eventually 1.2 TSi polo kakis also will come in to comment and challenge you. So dont make a laughing stock of yourself and also will bring disgrace to your make of car.

If you said yours is a Mod Altis then we may not comment!

be he/she in Toyota Forum maa...that's why he thrown out his comments here.. smile_tongue.gif

sbd18

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

sbd18

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
ignorance is bliss...

Langdon

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

Langdon

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
As for the CVT I was referring to the Altis, 7 speeds, actually if you count the gears in between almost unlimited...... I know the the Golf has a Dual Something Gearbox "DSG" ohmy.gif - I did some research ok..

Ok Racing on the streets I do not condone... that I have to agree with some of you...

but seeing a Golf I cannot resist... Wanted to see why would anyone pay almost 160K for a 1.4 car.

OK maybe the Golf driver didn't get any from the Mrs last night and was not in the mood, maybe he accidentally put reverse, maybe he got confused about which dual clutch to use? But the fact is that I smoked him that day and I'm satisfied with my Altis...

Surprised to see so many people defending the Golf in a Toyota forum... shame on you... fing01.gif

Anyway have a good week ahead...

& if you see a white Altis try to keep up... wink.gif

1800Optra

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

1800Optra

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts
QUOTE (Langdon @ Apr 17 2011, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok I admit if it was a GTI I would not dare challenge it is a 2L car.

As for the 1.4 will probably struggle for quite a heavy car. The Altis has Intelligent Dual Variable Valve timing on both input and exhaust valves. Correct me if I'm wrong the GOLF 1.4 does not have variable valve timing.

I know that the 1.4 golf has some kind of turbo, but that is very old technology that has been around for many years. Haven't you heard of the saying "There is no replacement for displacement?" That's why gov tax higher cc cars. Makes sense right?

And don't even get me started about the 7 speed CVT gearbox.

Its interesting that you decided to quote the phrase "There is no replacement for displacement". I reckoned that phrase was probably coined 20 year ago?
Notice that current formula 1 car are running on 2.4 liter instead of 3.0 liter a couple of years ago. Notice also that the track times for the 2.4 liter cars are no slower then the 3.0 liter cars. Interesting isn't it?

I love facts, here are some for you.

VW Golf 1.4 TSI
BHP - 160
Torque - 240 Nm from 1500 rpm - 4500 rpm
Kerb Weight - 1361

Toyota Altis 2.0
BHP - 147
Torque - 187 @ 3600 rpm
Kerb Weight - 1315

Both facts figures were obtain from their respective manufacture's website (local version)

Guess which of the two listed above have won world car of the year and world engine of the year?

Oh... don't even get started on "That's why gov tax higher cc cars. Makes sense right?"
Since when does govt... any govt. tax make sense??? Does the proposed GST make sense?
Sales and excise tax for cars to protect local car manufacture make sense?
Your beloved Altis cost 30% less in Thailand , does that make sense?

Here is my parting phrase, since you seem to like phrases.
It is better to remain silent and thought to be a fool, then speak and leave no doubt.
Steady but not slow