Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Wankel Engine

• Please log in to reply

jonlsl

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (kaylcar @ Mar 23 2012, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is no "boost", the forced induction starts from idle and progressively builds up with engine speed. We are controlling the rpm of the supercharger with the snout pulley diameter ( we have 2 at the moment) and also using a proprietary in-dash manifold pressure controller (a bit like a blow off valve). The supercharger rpm is dictated by the manufacturer, (we haven't exceeded it yet).
ECU is stock with a re-map done for me by my Korean partner who specializes in writing the software, (actually it's a modified series of maps from the existing), took a while to get the "checksum" but it seems to be working just fine. We are doing all the tuning ourselves in the workshop....it's become a special (expensive) project!! Need to find a sponsor to pay for all this crap! smile_disapprove.gif

oh yea...the ceramic seals came from NRS, much lighter than stock and stronger springs, less wear on the housing, can rev past 10k!! smile_thumbup.gif

The seals sounds good, what type of life you think you can get out of the engine with these seals? Your housing wear before the seals. hahahaha. Under street conditions I think easy 100k with the seals 160k? smile_thumbup.gif

in-dash manifold pressure controller (a bit like a blow off valve) you mean wastegate. The wastegate on the turbo 9unless you have an external wastegate) is the one which controls boost and the blow off valve is the one which dumps the boost in the intake when you shut the throttle.

kaylcar

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

kaylcar

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Mar 24 2012, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The seals sounds good, what type of life you think you can get out of the engine with these seals? Your housing wear before the seals. hahahaha. Under street conditions I think easy 100k with the seals 160k? smile_thumbup.gif

in-dash manifold pressure controller (a bit like a blow off valve) you mean wastegate. The wastegate on the turbo 9unless you have an external wastegate) is the one which controls boost and the blow off valve is the one which dumps the boost in the intake when you shut the throttle.

the ceramic seals are supposed to be less wear on the housing than steel, have to wait and see on that one.

think not like turbo, because the supercharger is in constant drive and it's mainly an internal compression type but we are still tweaking the manifold pressures with the electric controller to see which gives the best power band and compression efficiency. I can't give too much away, there's a lot of commercial secrets here! About 8psi is the max we can do without some serious rough running, probably high speed detonation. What we finally do will be reported but not the detail mechanics.....just like in F1, LOL! smile_tongue.gif
1,463,700 Scoville heat units.....can u feel the burn?

Tham58

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

Tham58

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

First girlfriend had a yellow Savanna RX-7, the first generation.
Used to come fetch me in it every night, way back in 1981.

I drove it around a few times, didn't seem that powerful, but maybe
because I'm not a sports car enthusiast and never revved it, moreover
it wasn't my car.

Very smooth though, as Kaylcar mentioned.

jonlsl

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (Tham58 @ May 23 2012, 02:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First girlfriend had a yellow Savanna RX-7, the first generation.
Used to come fetch me in it every night, way back in 1981.

I drove it around a few times, didn't seem that powerful, but maybe
because I'm not a sports car enthusiast and never revved it, moreover
it wasn't my car.

Very smooth though, as Kaylcar mentioned.

You weren't wrong, rotaries without turbo is hopeless in my books (lagi you drove the 12A rotary NA). That's partly why I don't like the RX8. The only NA rotary which gives decent performance would be a triple or quad rotor. That also a blown version is better which I drove. Funnyly enough I have never driven a NA rotary. It must really suck like hell once you have driven the blown ones. With an NA rotary you will never get the kick in the chest feeling and pin pinned into the seat feeling like turbo version. I personally think a minimum for a rotary would be 300hp turbo, anything less is a waste of time. Better look for another car.

Talking about that a triple rotor 500hp blown in a FD3S would be a great drive, never had the chance to drive one. Or a blown quad rotor turbo. Fuuuyoh. You won't get miles per gallon but gallons to the mile. hahahahaha smile_thumbup.gif smile_big.gif

kaylcar

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

kaylcar

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ May 23 2012, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You weren't wrong, rotaries without turbo is hopeless in my books (lagi you drove the 12A rotary NA). That's partly why I don't like the RX8. The only NA rotary which gives decent performance would be a triple or quad rotor. That also a blown version is better which I drove. Funnyly enough I have never driven a NA rotary. It must really suck like hell once you have driven the blown ones. With an NA rotary you will never get the kick in the chest feeling and pin pinned into the seat feeling like turbo version. I personally think a minimum for a rotary would be 300hp turbo, anything less is a waste of time. Better look for another car.

Talking about that a triple rotor 500hp blown in a FD3S would be a great drive, never had the chance to drive one. Or a blown quad rotor turbo. Fuuuyoh. You won't get miles per gallon but gallons to the mile. hahahahaha smile_thumbup.gif smile_big.gif

you don't get the "kick" from a NA Rotary in a drag race, but you certainly get it in bucketloads after 5,000 rpm. And it's not just about hp, 150 of it on a skateboard will give you more kick than you think you can handle!, LOL
I just finish supercharging my RX8, about 360hp on the dyno. smile_tongue.gif
1,463,700 Scoville heat units.....can u feel the burn?

gunner93

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

gunner93

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
Lets get some track time... smile_tongue.gif

"Less Booze, More Boost" 

http://gunner93.multiply.com

rallychamp

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ May 23 2012, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well for a stock car that have to meet strict emission regulation to think it back rx-8 deserve credit..maintaining good fc/emission while not really sacrificing the rotary layout......

as per 3rotor/4rotor..with great power comes with great responsibility to keep the fuel-thirsty rotor roarr.... smile_big.gif

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)