Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Wankel Engine

• Please log in to reply

roocarroll

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:47 AM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
Just a quick question. The Mazda RX8 has a 1.3 Wankel Engine that produces about 230 BHP.

In comparison, the Campro 1.3 produces 98 BHP.

Why don't all cars use Wankel engines if they produce so much more power than the 'conventional' engine?

vr2turbo

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,471 posts
QUOTE (roocarroll @ Apr 13 2011, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a quick question. The Mazda RX8 has a 1.3 Wankel Engine that produces about 230 BHP.

In comparison, the Campro 1.3 produces 98 BHP.

Why don't all cars use Wankel engines if they produce so much more power than the 'conventional' engine?

As far as I know is the reliability of the engine. Even though they mention the engine is reliable, look back at the cars with rotary engine. How many are still in the market?

andy111172

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

andy111172

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Apr 13 2011, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as I know is the reliability of the engine. Even though they mention the engine is reliable, look back at the cars with rotary engine. How many are still in the market?

In addition, the rotary engine might be more expensive to produce which will increase the car prices. This might not be suitable for high volume production... Mazda is only using this engine on their trademark models, not the volume models. It's like the 911 rear engine, Subaru flat 4 etc... it's like the identity thing....

By the way, isn't this engine design owned by Mazda... so there might be some copyright issues as well...

vr2turbo

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,471 posts
QUOTE (andy111172 @ Apr 13 2011, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In addition, the rotary engine might be more expensive to produce which will increase the car prices. This might not be suitable for high volume production... Mazda is only using this engine on their trademark models, not the volume models. It's like the 911 rear engine, Subaru flat 4 etc... it's like the identity thing....

By the way, isn't this engine design owned by Mazda... so there might be some copyright issues as well...

I don't think it belongs to Mazda.....

andy111172

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

andy111172

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Apr 13 2011, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it belongs to Mazda.....

You're right, it doesn't. So there's no copyright issues...

cskok8

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

cskok8

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts
The rotary engine DRINKS PETROL LIKE A CAMEL DRINKS WATER. In the early 70s Mazda planned to put it in all their cars but when the oil price shot up in 1973 the cars became unsellable. They had to scramble to come up with the first 323 (rear engine). So now the engine is only used in sports cars whose owners are not likely to complain about the fuel consumption but enjoys the power that it provides. The other unique feature is vibration. Since the pistons are going round non-stop in a circle it is very smooth. Our 'normal' engine's pistons go up and down; stopping and starting countless times every second.

vr2turbo

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,471 posts
QUOTE (cskok8 @ Apr 30 2011, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The rotary engine DRINKS PETROL LIKE A CAMEL DRINKS WATER. In the early 70s Mazda planned to put it in all their cars but when the oil price shot up in 1973 the cars became unsellable. They had to scramble to come up with the first 323 (rear engine). So now the engine is only used in sports cars whose owners are not likely to complain about the fuel consumption but enjoys the power that it provides. The other unique feature is vibration. Since the pistons are going round non-stop in a circle it is very smooth. Our 'normal' engine's pistons go up and down; stopping and starting countless times every second.

The camel drinks lots of water because they need to store them for future use..... smile_big.gif

Yup, for a person who have driven only pistons engine before, will surely over rev the rotary if they are not careful..... smile_shock.gif

roocarroll

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
Ah. Okay. In these fuel conscious times, the Wankel design might not be the most suitable for your average family runabout. Still, any car that has 230BHP should be expected to consume a lot of petrol, right?

I know if I was driving an RX-8, I'd be ripping the shit out of it every chance I got. Driving like that won't do much for your fuel economy.

rallychamp

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
don't just judge by the power and FC only....piston rings ing normal engine can last up to 100 000km....

apex seal in rotary engine????lucky to get half of that...

with such high power....engine lifespan reduced exponentally....

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

vr2turbo

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,471 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ May 16 2011, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
don't just judge by the power and FC only....piston rings ing normal engine can last up to 100 000km....

apex seal in rotary engine????lucky to get half of that...

with such high power....engine lifespan reduced exponentally....

yup, agree on that...... smile_blackeye.gif