Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Semi Or Fully Synthetic Engine Oil ?

• Please log in to reply

Tourist

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Mar 30 2011, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro Tourist,
No I wasn't thinking along the line. OCI for fully synthetic oil is the same as mineral or semi to a large extent. I am more concern about the pros and benefits of using Fully Synthetic oil. Thus far, I only get infor from Marketing Dept but not users themselves. Or those users influence by psychological effect in their mind after using Fully synthetic oil and they said good ? Cheers.

AFAIK, Honda uses Mineral oil for original factory. If Honda think they are sufficiently good and you on a budget, I do not see any reason to buy expensive FS. In other word, while FS does have benefits, it is very poor value for money. My 2 sen

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

vr2turbo

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:59 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Mar 30 2011, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro Tourist,
No I wasn't thinking along the line. OCI for fully synthetic oil is the same as mineral or semi to a large extent. I am more concern about the pros and benefits of using Fully Synthetic oil. Thus far, I only get infor from Marketing Dept but not users themselves. Or those users influence by psychological effect in their mind after using Fully synthetic oil and they said good ? Cheers.

You are on the right track. Unless your engine is stressed out with high revs, turbo charged etc., then use a FS oil. If not, a mineral or SS will do. Main advantage of FS is that it can withstand higher temperature and they comes in lighter viscosity.

scenic

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Mar 31 2011, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are on the right track. Unless your engine is stressed out with high revs, turbo charged etc., then use a FS oil. If not, a mineral or SS will do. Main advantage of FS is that it can withstand higher temperature and they comes in lighter viscosity.

Morning Bro vr2turbo,
Mine is just a 2.0L NA engine. I cruise on the highway at legal speed only once in a while tekan. But, the manager said if use RON97 better pick up and performance for my ride. What's your findings on this RON thingy ? Cheers.
director's choice

vr2turbo

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Mar 31 2011, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Morning Bro vr2turbo,
Mine is just a 2.0L NA engine. I cruise on the highway at legal speed only once in a while tekan. But, the manager said if use RON97 better pick up and performance for my ride. What's your findings on this RON thingy ? Cheers.

First, look at your Car's manual. What is the recommended RON to be used? If stated anything below RON 95, then using RON 95 will be good enough. If border line at RON95, then maybe better to use RON97.
Another will be, when using RON 95 do you get pinging/knocking sound when engine is under stress. Meaning like driving uphill, or when you have reach higher revs in 4k RPM region. If yes, then RON 95 is not right for your car.
Another alternative is to test at least 3 tank full of RON 97 and see if there is better power. If there is then have to use RON 97.
For me, my wife's NA Sonata is recommended with RON 91 only, so am using RON 95. Tried RON 97 no difference.
For my turbo, I have tried RON 95 too. On my 3rd tank the engine refuse to rev above 4.5k RPM and started spluttering. So expensive RON 97 have to be used..... smile_blackeye.gif

There is another way you can try, is to mix RON 95 and RON 97 fuel. You save a little and maybe get a little better power.... smile_wink.gif
It is all about what RON you car is tuned to...... smile_big.gif

scenic

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
Bro vr2turbo,
Thanks for the head up. Cheers.
director's choice

Tourist

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:26 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Mar 31 2011, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me and my friends has been driving turbo-charged, Intercooled Turbocharged diesel engines for decades now with engines running up to 1/2 million kilometer before selling them off. And we have ALWAYS been using Mineral oil and there have been ZERO problem attributed to engine oil.

And mind you, Intercooled Turbo Charged diesel engine undergo more stress than normal petrol engine. So for Normal Aspired engine, you should have ZERO worry about using Mineral oil. That's why I do not see any need for expensive FS. Just make absolutely sure it is good quality Mineral oil, no Cap Ayam brand.

On the other hand, if you have money to burn or want to pass your car to your future generation as family heirloom, then may be can consider using FS smile_thumbup.gif
I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

vr2turbo

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
If NA petrol, then even branded minerals are good enough...... smile_thumbup.gif

neo79

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

neo79

N20 Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,213 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Mar 31 2011, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First, look at your Car's manual. What is the recommended RON to be used? If stated anything below RON 95, then using RON 95 will be good enough. If border line at RON95, then maybe better to use RON97.
Another will be, when using RON 95 do you get pinging/knocking sound when engine is under stress. Meaning like driving uphill, or when you have reach higher revs in 4k RPM region. If yes, then RON 95 is not right for your car.
Another alternative is to test at least 3 tank full of RON 97 and see if there is better power. If there is then have to use RON 97.
For me, my wife's NA Sonata is recommended with RON 91 only, so am using RON 95. Tried RON 97 no difference.
For my turbo, I have tried RON 95 too. On my 3rd tank the engine refuse to rev above 4.5k RPM and started spluttering. So expensive RON 97 have to be used..... smile_blackeye.gif

There is another way you can try, is to mix RON 95 and RON 97 fuel. You save a little and maybe get a little better power.... smile_wink.gif
It is all about what RON you car is tuned to...... smile_big.gif

The same goes to my Cefiro 3.0l, finally got a letter from TCM stating that the 3.0V6 must only use RON97... smile_dead.gif

Last time petrol per month is about RM1,200 and this is only around KL area.

Morning Bro vr2turbo,

I have tried both in my Myvi, and the Camry at home. No issue with RON97 and RON95. Only difference is that the R97 is smoother and better in power. But thats pretty minimal and not worth paying for. RM1.90 vs RM2.50... I am too peasant to pay RM0.60 per liter for my petrol. smile_dead.gif When I switched over from my Cefiro to the Myvi, I saved 100%, and the Camry 20% from switching to R95.

vr2turbo

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (neo79 @ Mar 31 2011, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The same goes to my Cefiro 3.0l, finally got a letter from TCM stating that the 3.0V6 must only use RON97... smile_dead.gif

Last time petrol per month is about RM1,200 and this is only around KL area.

I have tried both in my Myvi, and the Camry at home. No issue with RON97 and RON95. Only difference is that the R97 is smoother and better in power. But thats pretty minimal and not worth paying for. RM1.90 vs RM2.50... I am too peasant to pay RM0.60 per liter for my petrol. smile_dead.gif When I switched over from my Cefiro to the Myvi, I saved 100%, and the Camry 20% from switching to R95.

Yup, 60sen difference per liter is high price to pay and that is not the end....... smile_blackeye.gif

scenic

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
Thank gentlemen. I have become wiser this time round after owning so many cars. From now on it is good mineral oil and RON 95. Cheers. smile_tongue.gif
director's choice