Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

The Search Of An Mpv Ended Here

• Please log in to reply

alldisc

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
I have a family of 7 so the need for MPV is really high. I really like Innova because it is really spacious with decent engine power but then at 100-110K it is beyond my budget, which was 80-90K max. But looking at how private cars depreciate nowadays made me consider Perodua Alza at 50-60K. I dont lose much on the value and I pay less on interests.

Alza looks nice but at showroom it simply is cramped insider, especially the third row seats. Entrance to the back is not easy task either.

So I went a step higher and look at Proton Exora. It is slightly expensive compare to the equivalent spec Alza but space wise it is simply superb. But then when it comes to power, many owners were disappointed.
If you drive alone or 3 up and cruise on almost flat surface then Exora 1.6 CPS engine will provide sufficient power. OK

But if we load it up, the Exora may struggle out of breath even on slight gradient. I had my share with Persona - same engine, lighter car but without CPS and yes the car did struggle. not an easy life.

Next up, is Avanza from 60K for 1.3 manual to 75K++ for 1.5 auto. 2 features i like about this car is space and entry to rear is very good considering its size while the 2nd air-cond blower is a BIG bonus! Sadly 1.3 is underpowered while the ride for all models are bouncy. Avanza is also low on refinement.

Next, I came back to my original budget of 80-90K. I came across with 3 altenatives and they are Nissan Grand Livina, Cherry Eastar 2.0 and Naza Citra II Rondo.

I really like Grand Livina for its engine - very quite and very economical. But it is not far from Perodua Alza being cramped inside. It is more like a station wagon with 7 seats, really. The 1.6 and 1.8 engine power is untested yet, but surely cannot compete the 2000cc army of Cherry and Citra Rondo.

Cherry Eastar fares better in the space department, PLUS having a 2 liter engine. But it lacks on build quality. Try feel airbag module in the steering wheel and there are sharp edges there. something is missing either design or quality aspect. So my final choice is at Naza showroom.

The Citra Rondo really surprises me with its features. It may look small outside, but the total opposite inside. The car is actually bigger then the previous Citra in amost every dimension!
at 85-90K, it matches almost everything that Toyota Innova could offer like:-
1. 2.0 engine, VVTI and chain driven camshaft
2. 4 speed auto transmission - no fancy
3. twin airbags, ABS, EBD
4. front and rear disc brakes (better then Innova's front disc, rear drums set-up)
5. good handling FWD chassis against RWD Innova (some power loss through the drive train)
6. Innova still wins in the 3rd row seats with high roofline. Rear suspension intrusion is low, making possible a wider rear seats allowing it to be 8 seater MPV like Unser.
7. Rondo wins it for the 20K savings.

BUT WAIT!!

at one corner of Naza shworoom was an old model Citra on display. I asked the sales rep, isnt that model is dated and out of showroom appeal already? He answered, yes it will be after this last reincarnation of Citra SE (Special Edition).

I checked and immediately fell in love with it. Read the specs:-

1. The Citra SE is priced at RM64,888. I haggled and easily got 3K discount.
2. At 61K, The Citra is the most powerful MPV we can get (2.0 engine, DOHC 16 valve and CVVT)
3. The Citra SE is based on Citra RS, so make do without airbags, ABS/EBD and rear disc brakes. Basic specs Exora and Alza are similar without ABS, airbags and rear disc brakes.
4. Citra is smaller than Exora but defientely bigger than Alza. More powerful than Exora, hands down.
5. Naza also threw in :-
..a. Alloy wheels
..b. Tinted glass
..c. Rear mounted roof top spoiler
..d. Touch screen DVD player
..e. TFT monitor screen for rear occupants to watch
..f. USB MP3 player
..g. Bluetooth handsfree function
..h. reverse camera

I took delivery my Citra SE last 7 days and am very happy with it paying low money but getting a lot of extras.

But the most important thing before buying the MPV is I took my whole family for a test ride and get their opinions first. They said Citra feels better than Rondo, perhaps influenced by the DVD I think. But again, 1 more factor to look at is the next 3-4 years when the children has grown taller - will the car be just as comfortable?

In my case, I do not think as they will all be teenagers but at this price the Naza Citra SE is a bargain that is hard to resist.

And owh my, during the school holiday season last week, i only realised that there are so many and many MPVS on the road and a lot of Citras too.

fuel consumption is reasonable at 1L = 11km but I was driving at about 90-100kmh only.
even though there is a lack of rear ac blower, however my Citra seats are not leather, they are cloth fabric which is soft and comfortable and occupants do not slide around. I heard the AC is also improved type, similar to Proton cars.

other specs include
power steering
4 power windows
electric mirror
remote door lock
driver side lumbar support and 4 ways cushion adjustment.

the citra is a whole lot better than my persona but i really like it for being able to carry my wife and 5 children comfortably.
i will not regret buying such an old model no matter if there is a new avanza or a new citra III are launched because the price is simply fantastic.

for those wanting Citra SE, this will be a limited collectors' edition. unfortunately, only available in 2 colours - black and chrome silver. i wanted maroon red same like Forte and Peug (same assembly line) but only Citra RS has it.

arch747

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

arch747

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
Congratulation.

rallychamp

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
so your persona sold already???

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

ahk

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

ahk

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
hi thanks for sharing, have u tested the 3rd row? it is really to little room to put my legs. But guess it shouldn't be problem for your children.

sugen

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

sugen

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 918 posts
Congratulation.. Just to add some, CITRA is well know of its poor FC.. But never mind la, use the extra RM28k different on Rondo to pump petrol still worth it..

QUOTE (ahk @ Mar 21 2011, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi thanks for sharing, have u tested the 3rd row? it is really to little room to put my legs. But guess it shouldn't be problem for your children.

wcleo

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

wcleo

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
QUOTE (alldisc @ Mar 21 2011, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a family of 7 so the need for MPV is really high. I really like Innova because it is really spacious with decent engine power but then at 100-110K it is beyond my budget, which was 80-90K max. But looking at how private cars depreciate nowadays made me consider Perodua Alza at 50-60K. I dont lose much on the value and I pay less on interests.

Alza looks nice but at showroom it simply is cramped insider, especially the third row seats. Entrance to the back is not easy task either.

So I went a step higher and look at Proton Exora. It is slightly expensive compare to the equivalent spec Alza but space wise it is simply superb. But then when it comes to power, many owners were disappointed.
If you drive alone or 3 up and cruise on almost flat surface then Exora 1.6 CPS engine will provide sufficient power. OK

But if we load it up, the Exora may struggle out of breath even on slight gradient. I had my share with Persona - same engine, lighter car but without CPS and yes the car did struggle. not an easy life.

Next up, is Avanza from 60K for 1.3 manual to 75K++ for 1.5 auto. 2 features i like about this car is space and entry to rear is very good considering its size while the 2nd air-cond blower is a BIG bonus! Sadly 1.3 is underpowered while the ride for all models are bouncy. Avanza is also low on refinement.

Next, I came back to my original budget of 80-90K. I came across with 3 altenatives and they are Nissan Grand Livina, Cherry Eastar 2.0 and Naza Citra II Rondo.

I really like Grand Livina for its engine - very quite and very economical. But it is not far from Perodua Alza being cramped inside. It is more like a station wagon with 7 seats, really. The 1.6 and 1.8 engine power is untested yet, but surely cannot compete the 2000cc army of Cherry and Citra Rondo.

Cherry Eastar fares better in the space department, PLUS having a 2 liter engine. But it lacks on build quality. Try feel airbag module in the steering wheel and there are sharp edges there. something is missing either design or quality aspect. So my final choice is at Naza showroom.

The Citra Rondo really surprises me with its features. It may look small outside, but the total opposite inside. The car is actually bigger then the previous Citra in amost every dimension!
at 85-90K, it matches almost everything that Toyota Innova could offer like:-
1. 2.0 engine, VVTI and chain driven camshaft
2. 4 speed auto transmission - no fancy
3. twin airbags, ABS, EBD
4. front and rear disc brakes (better then Innova's front disc, rear drums set-up)
5. good handling FWD chassis against RWD Innova (some power loss through the drive train)
6. Innova still wins in the 3rd row seats with high roofline. Rear suspension intrusion is low, making possible a wider rear seats allowing it to be 8 seater MPV like Unser.
7. Rondo wins it for the 20K savings.

BUT WAIT!!

at one corner of Naza shworoom was an old model Citra on display. I asked the sales rep, isnt that model is dated and out of showroom appeal already? He answered, yes it will be after this last reincarnation of Citra SE (Special Edition).

I checked and immediately fell in love with it. Read the specs:-

1. The Citra SE is priced at RM64,888. I haggled and easily got 3K discount.
2. At 61K, The Citra is the most powerful MPV we can get (2.0 engine, DOHC 16 valve and CVVT)
3. The Citra SE is based on Citra RS, so make do without airbags, ABS/EBD and rear disc brakes. Basic specs Exora and Alza are similar without ABS, airbags and rear disc brakes.
4. Citra is smaller than Exora but defientely bigger than Alza. More powerful than Exora, hands down.
5. Naza also threw in :-
..a. Alloy wheels
..b. Tinted glass
..c. Rear mounted roof top spoiler
..d. Touch screen DVD player
..e. TFT monitor screen for rear occupants to watch
..f. USB MP3 player
..g. Bluetooth handsfree function
..h. reverse camera

I took delivery my Citra SE last 7 days and am very happy with it paying low money but getting a lot of extras.

But the most important thing before buying the MPV is I took my whole family for a test ride and get their opinions first. They said Citra feels better than Rondo, perhaps influenced by the DVD I think. But again, 1 more factor to look at is the next 3-4 years when the children has grown taller - will the car be just as comfortable?

In my case, I do not think as they will all be teenagers but at this price the Naza Citra SE is a bargain that is hard to resist.

And owh my, during the school holiday season last week, i only realised that there are so many and many MPVS on the road and a lot of Citras too.

fuel consumption is reasonable at 1L = 11km but I was driving at about 90-100kmh only.
even though there is a lack of rear ac blower, however my Citra seats are not leather, they are cloth fabric which is soft and comfortable and occupants do not slide around. I heard the AC is also improved type, similar to Proton cars.

other specs include
power steering
4 power windows
electric mirror
remote door lock
driver side lumbar support and 4 ways cushion adjustment.

the citra is a whole lot better than my persona but i really like it for being able to carry my wife and 5 children comfortably.
i will not regret buying such an old model no matter if there is a new avanza or a new citra III are launched because the price is simply fantastic.

for those wanting Citra SE, this will be a limited collectors' edition. unfortunately, only available in 2 colours - black and chrome silver. i wanted maroon red same like Forte and Peug (same assembly line) but only Citra RS has it.

Thanks for sharing, but I think Rondo is still my first choice so far.

DSAI

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

DSAI

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 750 posts
citra is well known for expensive timing belt and parts...well...just ignore it if u really satisfied with the MPV.as for FC..i see many citra convert to NGV! smile_sleepy.gif
a new hope...

alldisc

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
QUOTE (arch747 @ Mar 21 2011, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulation.

thanks. but must drive carefull coz no ABS and airbags. ha ha ha!

QUOTE (rallychamp @ Mar 21 2011, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so your persona sold already???

nope, i still enjoy the handling and good noise insulation. to consider its a 48K car makes it all worth the value more.

QUOTE (ahk @ Mar 21 2011, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

better than Alza dan Livina, not for anyone more than 5 ft. should be ok for my children for the next 3-4 years.

alldisc

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
QUOTE (DSAI @ Mar 22 2011, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
citra is well known for expensive timing belt and parts...well...just ignore it if u really satisfied with the MPV.as for FC..i see many citra convert to NGV! smile_sleepy.gif

i am highly satisfied with the MPV. the 2.0 engine makes it effortless to move from standstill while watching avanza, alza, livina and exora struggle. i am getting 533km over 49 litre of petrol (mix drive route). It is 10.8km/L. sounds good to me as the engine is still 'tight'

many Citra owners complaining about high FC but the way i see it they either drive in traffic jams most of the times or they fit bigger wheels (16" or 17") or even worse - have a heavy right foot.

QUOTE (sugen @ Mar 21 2011, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulation.. Just to add some, CITRA is well know of its poor FC.. But never mind la, use the extra RM28k different on Rondo to pump petrol still worth it..

Thank you. I checked a 5 yrs old Citra was sold for 85K new in 2006, now only worth around 37-38K in market and Rondo is selling at around the same price. I believe same thing will happen since they are both Kia products, no matter how good they can be. Rondo EX is selling at same price as Citra SE and I cannot afford to lose 50K in 5 yrs time - it really is a lot of money for me. The cheaper price will offset the huge depreciation by some margin.

wanida

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

wanida

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
well congratulations to your new ride pal.. smile_thumbup.gif

i tot u're a toyota expert and ended up with innova..or at least a recon wish..hehe.. smile_tongue.gif