Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Need Advice To Get A Used Focus

• Please log in to reply

madex

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

madex

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
To PWcakes, you are right that you made quite shitty decision of buying Focus in the first place. You should maintain of owing Peroduas/Toyotas, the car that you can just start and go without paying attention of car wears and behave over the time.

For forumers info, Ford break pad price with other SC like Toyota and Honda is about the same. The difference is when you trying to look at the alternative sourcing other than SC. Of course Toyota and Honda parts is everywhere before you go to chop shop for reconditioned part. Now Ford has Extended Service Package that pretty much cover everythings for wear and tear like absobers, break pad, air filter etc.

To axzel, your are right. It is about sceptical not only becoz it is Ford Focus, it is about diesel as well.

I have TDCi for about a year and clocked past 40k km. The car runs superb and services so far is not that bad. I always follow up to the services area just to check my car and have some chat with their teams.

azxel

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

azxel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
oh.. don't get me wrong. I'm all for Diesel tech.. I think that's the way to go instead of the hybrid-trend. It's just pity that they aren't many diesel car variants to choose from...

Btw, Is your Focus under the 60,000 km free service maintenance plan? What did you pay for and got replaced for free at 40k km?

I'm just looking out for every info there is from car owners. There will be good and bad reviews for each car, that I'm sure of... anyway, I just got a reply from pwncake at the other forum after asking a few more questions...

QUOTE (pwncake @ Mar 5 2011, 05:43 PM)
Sorry for the late reply.

I have had my bearing, aircond, belt rear suspension (can't remember which part), drive shaft and fuel pump issues.

Total damage so far (although still with warranty): RM3000++.

This is the thing about auto-connexion: the mechanics are very good. They are helpful and often knowledgeable. In fact if you know some well enough, they will tell you don't bother claiming warranty because they will charge you anyways and point you to third-party providers. The issue is the management itself. They are totally non-transparent and very obvious they are trying to rip you off. In fact, there is an unspoken rule (in both PJ and Penang SC) that mechanics cannot advise you on what parts are broken or what is to be replaced - the management and only the management may speak directly to you and advise you what to do.

Pause for a moment, and think: why can't the obviously knowledgeable, qualified people advise you on YOUR car? Why when I want to know EXACTLY what is wrong with my car, I have to pull the mechanic one side and speak to them in a hush-hush tone? Something is clearly wrong with the way they do business, if they restrict the line of communication to one person.

[addedon]March 5, 2011, 5:46 pm[/addedon]
Question: What about Penang Branch Ford? Any complains?
Same problem. Good and honest mechanics. Infact one of them told me don't bother living with one for too long, SDAC will kill you with the maintenance.

[addedon]March 5, 2011, 5:54 pm[/addedon]
Question: I think they heard you...look at this (http://www.ford.net.my/esp.pdf). It does tell you what is covered.
I saw that before I went to the workshop for my major maintenance. It's totally useless. The issue is: what parts are covered, and what parts are not?

For example, when my drive shaft broke down this is what they said (absolute shocker):

SDAC: Sir, you have an issue with drive shaft/

Me: Oh? What happened?

SDAC: One of the protective gaskets broke, and will have to be replaced.

Me: Oh alright then. How long will it take? (i assumed at this point it was covered by the warranty).

SDAC: Very quick. Only 1 day. Leave your car here and you can get it back by tomorrow.

Me: Oh... okay la, no choice...

SDAC: Okay Sir. It will cost 750 for the repair

Me: Warranty? Service only so expensive ah?

SDAC: Sorry Sir. The part replaced is not covered under the warranty.

Me: Whatt??? It's the drive shaft! Where is your list of warrantable items?

SDAC: Uh, we don't have the list here. It's with our upper management. But we called just now, and they said the part broken down is not covered. Not ALL the drive shaft parts are covered. It's case by case basis...

Me: So... you are meaning to tell me, you cover the drive shaft, but not all parts of the drive shaft. So which parts of the drive shaft are covered and which parts are not?

SDAC: Umm.. sorry sir, we can't tell you that. We also don't have the list, the upper management will decide on a case by case basis...

Me: ....
Just talking about this makes me throw up a bit in my mouth. Now put yourself in my position and think how much misrepresentation there is based on the link you just showed me.

Again, to emphasise: if you can deal with these guys (nothing short of having a lawyer on standby to deal with them), by all means get a Ford - wonderful wonderful cars. Brilliant to drive.

But ownership of a car is more than the car, it's also the after service. SDAC is simply not the place to go. Parts deprivation worse than long hours of waiting - it hurts your wallet and your heart. If you can fork out a little more, please go VW Polo. Have a friend who owned it for a while and had some parts replaced - zero fuss. Car in, car out. Any issues, point straight to the extensive list of covered parts in their website.

DC18

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

DC18

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
If the drive shaft boot cover tear then yes is not covered. You can replaced it outside SDAC as SDAC will change the whole driveshaft.

However I do agree VGM has the most extensive list of warranty covered parts.Very specific. And I do remember reading driveshaft boot is not warranted too.

VGM dealers also have its fair share of horror story.

madex

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

madex

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
I feel sory to pwcakes... that was pretty unaceptable for what they call warranty... I should insist the warranty part list other than stated in ESP. Maybe bro DC18 can help with some info..

So far, I knew fellow ford owners claimed engine mountings few years back and aircond compressor (very recently). My case was not an big issue. Only side mirror being leak with water inside the indicator and being replaced by warranty.

To axzel, my ESP so far pretty much cover everything and zero cost except for diesel filter that i requested them to check at my own cost. At 40k km services, i got airfilter changed for free.

The good one about this car is i never clock less than 600km before i refuel even i was in a bad day. The bad one is the NVH is not as good as i expected.

DC18

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

DC18

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
from VGM web

3. DRIVE TRAIN / FINAL DRIVE

Crown-wheel & pinion, bearing & oil seals, Differential gears, Drive shafts & Constant-velocity joints, Propeller shaft (not VC joints or boots) propeller shaft flanges, differential case, drive shaft bearings, bearing housing, differential locks, all wheel drive internal components, speedometer gear, differential bearings, oil pump, Haldex components, Half shaft, Wheel-bearings, Axle-bearings, Locking rings, Universal-joints, 4 wheel drive unit, (transfer box) Free-wheeling hub.

Excluding: - Gaiters, Clips, Rubber boots, Rubber-couplings, Mountings.

madex

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

madex

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
QUOTE (DC18 @ Mar 7 2011, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
from VGM web

Crown-wheel & pinion, bearing & oil seals, Differential gears, Drive shafts & Constant-velocity joints, Propeller shaft (not VC joints or boots) propeller shaft flanges, differential case, drive shaft bearings, bearing housing, differential locks, all wheel drive internal components, speedometer gear, differential bearings, oil pump, Haldex components, Half shaft, Wheel-bearings, Axle-bearings, Locking rings, Universal-joints, 4 wheel drive unit, (transfer box) Free-wheeling hub.

Thank bro for the useful info... That mean those excluding parts are still expensive if selling by SDAC. I think same goes in other area but in scale down cost. Like wiper nut cover RM10 a piece and carpet clips let say RM50 a piece are not cover.

DC18

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

DC18

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
QUOTE (madex @ Mar 7 2011, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank bro for the useful info... That mean those excluding parts are still expensive if selling by SDAC. I think same goes in other area but in scale down cost. Like wiper nut cover RM10 a piece and carpet clips let say RM50 a piece are not cover.

SDAC do not change the boot cover as original parts comes as a whole drive shaft. Maybe Pwcake can breakdown what does the RM3k include so that we have a clearer picture.

I do not have the ESP package and most oil change is about less than RM 200.00 using semi syn.

The highest bil I pay was 1k plus for left drive shaft n brake pads including workmanship.

azxel

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

azxel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
QUOTE (madex @ Mar 7 2011, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel sory to pwcakes... that was pretty unaceptable for what they call warranty... I should insist the warranty part list other than stated in ESP. Maybe bro DC18 can help with some info..

So far, I knew fellow ford owners claimed engine mountings few years back and aircond compressor (very recently). My case was not an big issue. Only side mirror being leak with water inside the indicator and being replaced by warranty.

To axzel, my ESP so far pretty much cover everything and zero cost except for diesel filter that i requested them to check at my own cost. At 40k km services, i got airfilter changed for free.

The good one about this car is i never clock less than 600km before i refuel even i was in a bad day. The bad one is the NVH is not as good as i expected.

Thanks for the feedback madex. biggrin.gif

Over 600km for a fuel tank on a bad day = jam city driving, I assume?

QUOTE (DC18 @ Mar 7 2011, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
from VGM web

Wahh.. DC18.. that's way too technical for me to understand but those are actually parts of the Drive Train/Final Drive that's not covered, right?

DC18

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

DC18

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

only the above. others are under warranty.

madex

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

madex

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
Yes azxel, heavy footed for being angry after got stuck in massive traffic. 700km is average. 800km on long distance. I didn't refuel for a day trip from KL-JB-KL.