Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Need Advice To Get A Used Focus

• Please log in to reply

ahtsong

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

ahtsong

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
thinking of getting a used Focus for my wife. need your advice here from the maintenance cost. parts and anything to pay more attention?

thanks in advance

hideiyoshi

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

hideiyoshi

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts
Still no reply, seems a lot of FF 2.0 NA from 2008, some even 2010 available at mudah.com.my, i wonder why? Any owners alive to share some FR on the MK2.5 version? smile_blackeye.gif

azxel

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

azxel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
well.. here's what I read from a Ford owner (from another forum)

QUOTE (pwncake @ Feb 27 2011, 03:49 PM)
ford produces nice cars, but the service is so lousy.

not to splash cold water on current owners of fiesta or any other ford owners atm, but i've had one too many bad experiences with my focus.

they claim to give you 100k km warranty, but some parts are limited to 30k. That's fine, but firstly they don't tell you upfront which parts (it's not in the warranty book or the contract). Secondly, they won't tell you after you have bought your car and require service. They just bill you and say 'all parts warranty are on a case-to-case basis'. They don't provide you with a list of parts covered, and refuse when you request from them, though it is clearly your consumer right to receive it! Talk about unscrupulous way of doing business! Contrast that to another conti car, VW, a full list of covered parts on their website, upfront before you buy... ethics difference is like heaven and earth.

Not only that, auto-connexion over-charge you on parts. You get parts outside of auto-connexion for 30% the price - not 30% off, it's one-third the price!! As an example of how expensive parts may be, a ford focus bearing costs 1200 bucks. That's more than what you will spend on a beemer or a merc!

I got to know a lot of the mechanics and non-management staff at the PJ service centre, and all (yes, all) of them would say the same thing: "nasi lemak" mentality looking to reap short term profits, sacrificing reputation. The nasi lemak mentality have no regard to consumer rights or doing the right thing.

Why you may ask, why they do this at risk of long term reputation. THe answer is the idiocy of nasi lemak management at Sime Darby. WHen they negotiated the deal to take over the Ford Malaysia business with Ford global, they forgot to use spare parts as a leverage negotiation point - resulting in ad-hoc contracts at exorbitant prices from Ford Global. IDIOTS!

TLDR version: Ford = Great cars. Ford Malaysia service = vomit blood and bleeding money.

I'm sorry fiesta owners, not to hijack this, but I thought that potential buyers should think very very very carefully before taking this step. My focus was a huge mistake, I hope you don't repeat mine.

Thanks.

[addedon]February 27, 2011, 3:59 pm[/addedon]just wanted to add a little more. it's oft said that all car services are terrible. auto connexion isn't just slow, and non-responsive, but they deny you of what is rightfully yours - parts. the whole point of getting a new car is to benefit from the warranty, worry free about the parts. have you ever been denied of - not just the parts - the warrantable parts list?! it's a whole different level of sh!ttyness. I've owned protons and peroduas which were less troublesome.

Appreciate if more Ford owners come with good as well as bad stories...

stinger82

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

stinger82

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
QUOTE (hideiyoshi @ Mar 1 2011, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still no reply, seems a lot of FF 2.0 NA from 2008, some even 2010 available at mudah.com.my, i wonder why? Any owners alive to share some FR on the MK2.5 version? smile_blackeye.gif

2010 are pre register car, means they registered it, like BMW pre owned. its an almost new second hand car, with rm20k-30k discount.

DC18

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

DC18

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
QUOTE (azxel @ Mar 2 2011, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Appreciate if more Ford owners come with good as well as bad stories...

well for me, after sales is average but not as bad as above.

and on the warranty claim, is been smooth for me. no dispute in the claim. as long as it need to they change.

parts price are on the higher side as volume is not there and not much oem choice here so all are original ford.

wear n tear are the norm moving parts.

just give an idea of price

brake pad RM 420 pair
engine mounting RM 500 each
absober RM 600 each
bearing RM 1000 each

above price are rough estimation from the SC

rabpaul

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

rabpaul

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
QUOTE (azxel @ Mar 2 2011, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I find it strange that the writer does not mention the part in question e.g wiper motor (warranty) wipers (non-warranty).
Without knowing specifically what part the writer was talking about its really impossible to comment.

If same part costs 70% less then its probably an imitation but lets say its not and SDAC cannot deny this then all one has to do is write to the newspapers telling everyone that SDAC is ripping people off. Saying anything in any forum is pretty pointless.

Now I just read that a right wing mirror of a E Class costs like RM4K or was it RM9K, so I doubt any bearing in a MB is going to cost less than that of a Ford.

azxel

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

azxel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
I would figure that 'wear and tear' parts such as wipers and brake pads aren't covered.

btw...

brake pad RM 420 pair

a pair means front (or back) only right, and not front and back?
If RM420 is for front or back, then it is kinda expensive.. I recently spend about that amount changing both front and back brake pads for my Mini Cooper.

bearing RM 1000 each
engine mounting RM 500 each

When (or rather how often) does one need to change these?

DC18

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

DC18

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
QUOTE (azxel @ Mar 2 2011, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would figure that 'wear and tear' parts such as wipers and brake pads aren't covered.

btw...

a pair means front (or back) only right, and not front and back?
If RM420 is for front or back, then it is kinda expensive.. I recently spend about that amount changing both front and back brake pads for my Mini Cooper.

When (or rather how often) does one need to change these?

420 for front pair bear in mind is SC price, so to be fair comparison then the mini brake pad shoould be based on SC price. There are after market for Focus which range about Rm200-300.

on the bearing n mounting kinda subjective but range from 50k km - 100k km.

azxel

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

azxel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
wow.. 50-100k km? If it's every 50k km, it's so fragile one ka? I guess it's solely on how one drives or pushes the car...

Any other issues with your Ford in general?

Kinda like the TDCI but still skeptical about Ford.. always have this in mind.. not many people talk about Ford because
- not many own them so not much info on them
or
- not many problems so not many people talk about them

DC18

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

DC18

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
QUOTE (azxel @ Mar 3 2011, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow.. 50-100k km? If it's every 50k km, it's so fragile one ka? I guess it's solely on how one drives or pushes the car...

Any other issues with your Ford in general?

Kinda like the TDCI but still skeptical about Ford.. always have this in mind.. not many people talk about Ford because
- not many own them so not much info on them
or
- not many problems so not many people talk about them

suggest you visit here http://www.fomec.org/smf/ to get more info.

mine so far been wear n tear parts

front pair abs
3 bearings
2 mounting

all under warranty

yes seems a lot eh but maybe due to the car was in port klang for 2 years.
hopefully when Focus MK3 launch next year from thai then parts would be cheaper
maybe you can wait for Mk3 but i prefer mk2 design.