Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Help On Driving Manual In 1st Gear

• Please log in to reply

alfredkoh

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

alfredkoh

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
will keep on engine die off easy spoil the clutch?

i die engine for 1-3 times per day

i still cant catch the technique

nofear1979

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

nofear1979

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts
QUOTE (alfredkoh @ Jan 14 2011, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
will keep on engine die off easy spoil the clutch?

i die engine for 1-3 times per day

i still cant catch the technique

go to somewhere with bigger area space... keep on practice it..
my first driving experience, with a manual (kanchil), engine also die so many time.... 059.gif

like bro rally mentioned, pls keep engine rpm roaming around 1000 rpm-1.500 rpm
2012 NMT Vice President - nofear1979

Human Resource Solutions
We provide a comprehensive range of Human Resource (HR) management solutions

andy111172

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

andy111172

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
My first driving experience was with a Fiat 124 Special back in 1987 with a manual transmission of course and no tacho to show RPM...

The technique taught by my father which I used was as follows:

Release the clutch slowly until the engine sound drops (dropping RPM) and the car starts to move. At that point, stop releasing the clutch and give it a bit more gas to move the car before releasing the clutch totally...

The trick is not to let go of the clutch totally before the car moves.. reducing engine sound (dropping RPM) is a sign that the car is starting to move... maintain pressure on the clutch and give more gas until the car moves.. pre-mature release of clutch before the car moves will kill the engine..

Good Luck !!

michaeljen

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

michaeljen

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
drive with your feeling, not your head... like my car, the gear release at 1/3, let's your left leg mesmerize it. you can do testing (with handbrake on), let go of your clutch a bit by bit.you will feel your car a bit 'moving forward.

but still, practices make perfect.
The NMT Hamsap Committee Member of Waja Hamsapiens Club.

My name is michaelJenn.
I'm the grave digger....

vr2turbo

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (andy111172 @ Jan 15 2011, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My first driving experience was with a Fiat 124 Special back in 1987 with a manual transmission of course and no tacho to show RPM...

The technique taught by my father which I used was as follows:

Release the clutch slowly until the engine sound drops (dropping RPM) and the car starts to move. At that point, stop releasing the clutch and give it a bit more gas to move the car before releasing the clutch totally...

The trick is not to let go of the clutch totally before the car moves.. reducing engine sound (dropping RPM) is a sign that the car is starting to move... maintain pressure on the clutch and give more gas until the car moves.. pre-mature release of clutch before the car moves will kill the engine..

Good Luck !!

That is the problem. If you think of releasing the clutch, feel the car move, then think of accelerating, then you forget to steer... smile_blackeye.gif Driving must come natural, so more practice is best. My son who have pass his driving about 2 years already, I still get him to drive my manual car only. My wife's auto is still off limits..... smile_wink.gif

nofear1979

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

nofear1979

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 20 2011, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is the problem. If you think of releasing the clutch, feel the car move, then think of accelerating, then you forget to steer... smile_blackeye.gif Driving must come natural, so more practice is best. My son who have pass his driving about 2 years already, I still get him to drive my manual car only. My wife's auto is still off limits..... smile_wink.gif

nothing beat the fun of having manual~~~
2012 NMT Vice President - nofear1979

Human Resource Solutions
We provide a comprehensive range of Human Resource (HR) management solutions

vr2turbo

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (nofear1979 @ Jan 21 2011, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, today rain and highway was wet. Over take cars from left since they were going slow on the right hogging the fast lane.
Then when on fast lane looking ahead, this cute little kembara like hero signal right and start to enter fast lane and I tap my brakes and can feels slight drift. My lights were on, and enjoy the drift....ha! ha! but was ready for this joker. Then maybe saw my lights, decide to cut back in, so I went off. Then in smaller road, I decided to test the tyres. While in the corner, I accelerated and the front wheels started spinning and can feel the drift...nabeh FWD can drift.....hahahahaha smile_big.gif

SplitFire

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (nofear1979 @ Jan 21 2011, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

....if not driving in a 2 hours jammed daily. smile_approve.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

rallychamp

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:12 AM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 21 2011, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, today rain and highway was wet. Over take cars from left since they were going slow on the right hogging the fast lane.
Then when on fast lane looking ahead, this cute little kembara like hero signal right and start to enter fast lane and I tap my brakes and can feels slight drift. My lights were on, and enjoy the drift....ha! ha! but was ready for this joker. Then maybe saw my lights, decide to cut back in, so I went off. Then in smaller road, I decided to test the tyres. While in the corner, I accelerated and the front wheels started spinning and can feel the drift...nabeh FWD can drift.....hahahahaha smile_big.gif

yours not "fulltime 4wd" ah??? i tot it was..hence the 4wheel drift... smile_tongue.gif

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

TheGunner

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
Since I came out of driving school in 2001, I was driving auto cars for six years then went back to driving manual in 2007 with my Waja.

The condition of your car's clutch also plays an important part especially if you're a beginner driver. My Waja's clutch bites quite hard and I rarely had problems killing its engine even in my early days driving it. In fact, I can even get the car moving with my foot on the brakes (only in 1st and Rev).

Some test cars I've gotten hold of have clutches that are quite tricky to operate - the Toyota Vios is one of them. In my three days with that car, I killed its engine more often than I did with my Waja in four years.

Don't be de-motivated. Even seasoned drivers can 'mati engine' once in a while.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner