Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Volvo In Malaysia

• Please log in to reply

V406198

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (cruzeon @ Jan 24 2011, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to me price that matters the most. dont u think volvo is overpriced here? look at the price for xc60 even it is ckd now? just bcos it is a turbo engine? come one la. I dont think they wanna sell in numbers, they want to project volvo is a higher class, which is true plus the safety specs, but cant be selling too high maaaa. how much more cost to volvo s40 2.0t compare to sonata 2.0, which sonata can be sold at abt 135k for a cbu unit?? are u saying a ckd s40 cost more than a cbu sonata?? I dont understand here. smile_question.gif pls help smile_tongue.gif

Volvo vs Hyundai = two are totally different league player....
2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.

cruzeon

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

cruzeon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
QUOTE (V406198 @ Jan 25 2011, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Volvo vs Hyundai = two are totally different league player....

yes, u are right but what I meant here is both also 2.000 cc car ,the government will have the same tax duty for both cars if both are cbu, but now the ckd is selling much higher than the cbu. could u pls tell me which car is in the same league as the s40?

V406198

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (cruzeon @ Jan 25 2011, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, u are right but what I meant here is both also 2.000 cc car ,the government will have the same tax duty for both cars if both are cbu, but now the ckd is selling much higher than the cbu. could u pls tell me which car is in the same league as the s40?

Honestly to you.......i also not know the answer of who are the newer S40 2.0 powershits competitors is ?? last time when Volvo Malaysia are selling S40 2.4i their are target on both Honda accord2.4 & Toyota camry 2.4 as all three pricing different are not much..but now with 2.0 N/A with rm16xK tag.. to compare to both Toyata & Honda 2.0, both japanese are in better position with big gap of pricing different as most of this catogory of car buyers will opt for value of money car model, maybe this time Volvo are target at VW jetta ?? as VW are coming very very strong recently.
2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.

shy78

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:28 AM

shy78

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 586 posts
Info sharing...

In JB, F.A cater for both marque i.e Volvo and Volkswagen. For Volvo, they have a nice proper building beside C&C and not too far from the Auto Bavaria. For Volkswagen, the showroom is located at one unit shop-office.

Talked to one VW salesman there (under F.A) and was told that VW marque will replace Volvo at "the nice proper building" and Volvo will be in other place (not sure where). Sounds like showroom downgrading.

If this is true, surely not adding anything good to the brand's image / history here.

retro

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

retro

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
perhaps, it could be something like this from a european size perspective?

S40 vs. Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, 1-series, B-Class, Golf, Jetta, 308, 408, Focus. based on C-segment but perhaps commanding a very slight premium in pricing. if the pricing is too much above the regulars in the class, the s40 will probably end up selling the numbers it is doing now. i'm assuming that in europe, the s40 does not command a very high premium over the rivals and if correct, should be the way here too. engine options should be considered as well.

S60 vs. Accord, Camry, Mazda6, Sonata, Optima, 3-Series, C-Class, Passat, Mondeo, 508. in this class, i would suggest perhaps an entry level (but still specced to match the market) S60 to come in below the Benz and C but well above the Japanese and Koreans and the performance versions to be slightly above the entry level germans to make the performance of their cars a deciding factor.

S80 vs. E-Class, 5-Series.

volvo perhaps needs to know where they are in the overall scheme of things or pecking order based on customer perception and not where they were years ago where their position was indeed very favoured. the customer today is very savvy and with internet, supremely knowledgeable. volvo cannot afford to put a foot wrong in their positioning. a confused market will very likely dismiss the product/brand altogether. pigeon holing/stereotyping while being the industry norm does not sound exciting but the greater need is to maybe meet customer expectations of the brand and not try to be in a niche that nobody understands.

cruzeon

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

cruzeon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
QUOTE (V406198 @ Jan 26 2011, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly to you.......i also not know the answer of who are the newer S40 2.0 powershits competitors is ?? last time when Volvo Malaysia are selling S40 2.4i their are target on both Honda accord2.4 & Toyota camry 2.4 as all three pricing different are not much..but now with 2.0 N/A with rm16xK tag.. to compare to both Toyata & Honda 2.0, both japanese are in better position with big gap of pricing different as most of this catogory of car buyers will opt for value of money car model, maybe this time Volvo are target at VW jetta ?? as VW are coming very very strong recently.

bro, i am confused. first u said sonata 2.0 is diff league with s40 2.0, but now u said s40 2.4 is targetted at camry/accord 2.4 smile_question.gif u think accord/camry is same league with volvo?? camry/accord should be same league with sonata right? i think u shouldnt compare to brands la, just compare to engine size. if compare league/brand, u must compare volvo with bmw/mers lohhh, then how? smile_blackeye.gif

V406198

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (cruzeon @ Jan 26 2011, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bro, i am confused. first u said sonata 2.0 is diff league with s40 2.0, but now u said s40 2.4 is targetted at camry/accord 2.4 smile_question.gif u think accord/camry is same league with volvo?? camry/accord should be same league with sonata right? i think u shouldnt compare to brands la, just compare to engine size. if compare league/brand, u must compare volvo with bmw/mers lohhh, then how? smile_blackeye.gif

Bro, i'm Hyundai cars owner as well. so i know better where Hyundai position their self before this and also where their are now with new Sonata ..

When the time mk2 S40 2.4i was launched many years back ( 2004), Hyundai were not even a competitor to Honda or either Toyota..same was the Sonata model for that time. so what comparison with Volvo & Hyundai ? and the comparison of S40 2.4i with camry & accord was announced by VCM (Volvo Car Malaysia) during 2006-2008 for the the pricing competition as VCM realised the S40 sale drop beyond their expectation and due to that the S40 2.4i selling price was drop from rm2xxK to rm18xK...this marketing strategy in fact had disppointed alots of Volvo fans.

Now with BIG improvement of Hyundai on all their model range especially on Sonata, the competition level are closed up the gap with Honda accord & Toyota camry (anyway both camry & accord are already 4 years old) so now most ppl in the world are comparing these three together. at the same time Volvo design are stagnate from time after the P11 model ( S40/V50/C30/C70) was launched to until recently (now with the new XC60 & also mk2 S60/V60 launched in Amerian with better/updated design, trimming & also safety feature) and since S40 2.0 are still with P11 platform design as 7 years ago.. so it is really be catched up by Toyota /Honda and also Hyundai, but again you are comparing 2010 products ( Sonata) with 2006 products ( accord & camry) with 2004 products ( S40)..is that fair ?

so if Volvo really wanted to compete with their other home land player like VW or Audi or BM or Merch over here in Malaysia , their have to listen to the royalty customers that are prefer a turbo charge engine ( like the new 1.6 or 2.0 turbo engine) instead of N/A engine...otherwise their will still the same league player with Honda/Toyata/Hyundai and maybe Kia later...

cruzeon

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

cruzeon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Now with BIG improvement of Hyundai on all their model range especially on Sonata, the competition level are closed up the gap with Honda accord & Toyota camry (anyway both camry & accord are already 4 years old) so now most ppl in the world are comparing these three together. at the same time Volvo design are stagnate from time after the P11 model ( S40/V50/C30/C70) was launched to until recently (now with the new XC60 & also mk2 S60/V60 launched in Amerian with better/updated design, trimming & also safety feature) and since S40 2.0 are still with P11 platform design as 7 years ago.. so it is really be catched up by Toyota /Honda and also Hyundai, but again you are comparing 2010 products ( Sonata) with 2006 products ( accord & camry) with 2004 products ( S40)..is that fair ?

so if Volvo really wanted to compete with their other home land player like VW or Audi or BM or Merch over here in Malaysia , their have to listen to the royalty customers that are prefer a turbo charge engine ( like the new 1.6 or 2.0 turbo engine) instead of N/A engine...otherwise their will still the same league player with Honda/Toyata/Hyundai and maybe Kia later...
[/quote]

now let's compare sonata 2.0 cbu(anyway camry/accord ckd are overpriced) with s40 2.0 ckd, I mean if a cbu sonata 2.0 at 135k is much better price n also good quality (ncap 5 stars...) and a ckd s40 2.0 sellign 169k? dont u think volvo is overpriced? so if they wanna sell more, they know what to do, to me they are selling too high, that's why no voulme and 2nd value drop like hell.
for yr info, i am a ford owner smile_thumbup.gif we are just disccusing the volvo issue here.

jOnAs

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

jOnAs

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts
QUOTE (cruzeon @ Jan 24 2011, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to me price that matters the most. dont u think volvo is overpriced here? look at the price for xc60 even it is ckd now? just bcos it is a turbo engine? come one la. I dont think they wanna sell in numbers, they want to project volvo is a higher class, which is true plus the safety specs, but cant be selling too high maaaa. how much more cost to volvo s40 2.0t compare to sonata 2.0, which sonata can be sold at abt 135k for a cbu unit?? are u saying a ckd s40 cost more than a cbu sonata?? I dont understand here. smile_question.gif pls help smile_tongue.gif

XC60 i think is well priced judging by the brand and size. BM X1 which is so much smaller is selling about 300k if i'm not mistaken.

Cant be comparing Volvo with Hyundai coz Volvo is continental. Merc C-Class, BM 3 series and Audi A4 are all same size with Sonata but why price is different by rm100k? Branding and quality of course!!

If u have driven a Volvo S40 then you'll know why it's expensive than other cars priced at rm170k. Any brand, u name it..I can tell u that u'll feel the difference once u step into the car, so solid, comfort and EXTREMELY STABLE..

S40 is in between the size of BM 1 series and 3 Series or C-Class, infact it's just slight shorter than C-class. I dont see any other continental competitors in this segment, maybe VW Jetta as mentioned earlier. S40 is something like an entry level for continental cars.

Volvo is very well priced in Malaysia judging by the quality compare to Merc and BMW.

J.Y

jOnAs

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

jOnAs

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts
now let's compare sonata 2.0 cbu(anyway camry/accord ckd are overpriced) with s40 2.0 ckd, I mean if a cbu sonata 2.0 at 135k is much better price n also good quality (ncap 5 stars...) and a ckd s40 2.0 sellign 169k? dont u think volvo is overpriced? so if they wanna sell more, they know what to do, to me they are selling too high, that's why no voulme and 2nd value drop like hell.
for yr info, i am a ford owner smile_thumbup.gif we are just disccusing the volvo issue here.
[/quote]

Car prices are subjective and depending on what customers are going for.. Whether is value for money, economy, cheap maintenance or image.. There's no direct comparison in certain models.

Except for some direct competition models ie: accord vs camry, where both prices are always the same.

C-Class which is CKD selling at rm250k for the 1800cc model, about the same size as the CBU Sonata which is 2000cc...Difference of rm115k..So the answer to yr question is obviously branding and quality..

It's just like why you wanna live in a condo at mont kiara whereby u can live in a bungalow in Klang with the same amount of money... Bcoz mont kiara is high class n better environment therefore they sell for higher price.. It's the same theory...
J.Y