Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

S40 Phase 1 Yr 1999

• Please log in to reply

devil205

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

devil205

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
should i go for it? is the car too old to purchase? or should i be safe and just get a malaysia make car? budget around <25k

TSIJetta

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

TSIJetta

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
QUOTE (devil205 @ Dec 29 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
should i go for it? is the car too old to purchase? or should i be safe and just get a malaysia make car? budget around <25k

Go for test drive & check properly all the documents first lah, then only decide. But if the car dealer need you to pay deposit before testing, then just walk away.

Good luck!!! smile_thumbup.gif

devil205

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

devil205

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
QUOTE (TSIJetta @ Dec 29 2010, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go for test drive & check properly all the documents first lah, then only decide. But if the car dealer need you to pay deposit before testing, then just walk away.

Good luck!!! smile_thumbup.gif

this one direct buyer la.....

V406198

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (devil205 @ Dec 29 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

buying an used aged Volvo, you need to look in few factors...

1) Ask for full documents of service maintenance records regardless from authorized workshops or independent workshops..

2) To performance pre deposit inspection by either authorized workshops or independent Volvo workshops, try do full dignostic checking on OBD2 scan through all ECM signals. if with any default codes appear and try get workshops to inspect the default parts and get quotation on both parts & labour in estimate then negotiate with seller for their repair or discount to your buying..

3) Try avoid accident unit and also if possible unit that with engine overheated records, as first generation S40 are knaw to had have engine overheated that due to cooling fan/sensor fail or radiator/hoses leak , normally when engine are overheated then top overhauling will needed and due to aluminium engine head design, only one overhaul are allow to carried on, otherwise new engine head or whole engine need to replace, but some owner's will try on second overhauling with putting in double head gasket to avouid paying expensive bill of new head or engine instead, unit that with double head gasket will not last the engine life spend long and also will lost all the performance capability.

4) Make sure the seller have all manual booklet, service record booklet, all set of keys, and have all emergency tool and spare tire come with the car, otherwise it is kind hard & expensive to get by.

5) Last, joint the Volvo Owners Club Malaysia (www.vocom.com) to ask more question about this model pro & con and possible joint one of their TT ( gethering) to have live talk & view the s40 there...normally that will help you in better view of pespective and also in better general kwoledge of the car before you decided to get one..
2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.