Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

How To Use 4wd?

• Please log in to reply

Gunnerzz

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
QUOTE (iwae405 @ Jan 29 2011, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its mine..
no matter what..
i wanna engage 4wd on the road...so?

same with u.....
Sometimes just ketagih to drive in 4x4 so stop and shift to 4x4 to drive slowly in my housing area until reach my house.
The LO47 cannot be driven at high speed in 4x4 mode.

Last time went to Cameron and climb the strawbery park using 2H and then 4L.
On 4L, everyone just glare at me as the engine is just revving above idle to climb.
To a car driver it might sound amazing but those whom has driven a 4x4 will know its nothing really.

On 4x4, the tyre of the LO47 can easily loses grip if doing slow manuover.
Maybe the turn angle and the throttle input is too much.

convict

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

convict

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
QUOTE (belux @ Jan 9 2011, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile_disapprove.gif smile_disapprove.gif smile_disapprove.gif smile_disapprove.gif smile_disapprove.gif smile_disapprove.gif smile_disapprove.gif

You people just dont get it.

YOU DO NOT OPERATE 4x4 on TARMAC ROADS

4X4 is for offroad conditions (thats non tarmac) in mud or sand

The Kembara is full time 4wd. how?

belux

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

belux

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
QUOTE (convict @ Jan 31 2011, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Kembara is full time 4wd. how?

Look up CDL, central difflock.

andy111172

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

andy111172

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
Full time 4WD vehicles normally have a differential lock switch like Kembara...

On normal tarmac use, the differential is operating with torque split which gives more torque to the wheels with most traction.. like limited slip differential. This is more economical since power is not wasted on non-traction wheels..

However, when negotiating a muddy or sandy course, that torque split can be locked to enable the torque to be distributed equally to all 4 wheels.. so all wheels will be spinning to get you out of the obstacles..

At least, that's what I understand of it...

By the way, why can't we use 4x4 on tarmac other than the reason 'unnecessary usage of 4x4 components' and 'high FC'?

byebye2u

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
QUOTE (andy111172 @ Jan 31 2011, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Full time 4WD vehicles normally have a differential lock switch like Kembara...

On normal tarmac use, the differential is operating with torque split which gives more torque to the wheels with most traction.. like limited slip differential. This is more economical since power is not wasted on non-traction wheels..

However, when negotiating a muddy or sandy course, that torque split can be locked to enable the torque to be distributed equally to all 4 wheels.. so all wheels will be spinning to get you out of the obstacles..

At least, that's what I understand of it...

By the way, why can't we use 4x4 on tarmac other than the reason 'unnecessary usage of 4x4 components' and 'high FC'?

on 4wd part time there is no differential lock, all 4 tyres rotate at the same speed. when turning hard right for instance , the front left will rotate much much more than the front right. so on 4wd part time, the front tyre will be force to rotate equally , since tarmac has a very rough surface , so much load will go to both the front tyre. the tweaking and force can break the hub and locking mechanism. using part time 4wd at 120km/h can easily set you back rm10k on transfer case. on rainy day if use part time 4wd in highway can result loss of control in bend at high speed because all 4 tyre keep pulling and tweaking each other.

belux

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

belux

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
QUOTE (iwae405 @ Jan 29 2011, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its mine..
no matter what..
i wanna engage 4wd on the road...so?

Then you an that StupiD Mad Russian will be the only one wo do.

seekcheck

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

seekcheck

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
QUOTE (byebye2u @ Jan 31 2011, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
on 4wd part time there is no differential lock, all 4 tyres rotate at the same speed. when turning hard right for instance , the front left will rotate much much more than the front right. so on 4wd part time, the front tyre will be force to rotate equally , since tarmac has a very rough surface , so much load will go to both the front tyre. the tweaking and force can break the hub and locking mechanism. using part time 4wd at 120km/h can easily set you back rm10k on transfer case. on rainy day if use part time 4wd in highway can result loss of control in bend at high speed because all 4 tyre keep pulling and tweaking each other.

hello,i just wan to ask those sifu here that i got 1 isuzu big horn been converted to 3.0 diesel.it is a part time 4x4,when engage to 4x4 on H,the 4x4 function as torque on demand.but switch to 4x4 L,it become full time without torque on demand.so,can i engage to 4x4 on H for high speed?

tkw138

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

tkw138

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello all 4WD lovers,

Still wondering what this 4WD all about?
This site will help answering your questions!
Try spend some time reading and understand the systems. It will help saving your wallet and/or life!
No kiding! Find out what system you are having.

2WD has only one DIFFERENTIAL to drive 2 wheels, either front or rear wheel drive vehicle.
Part time 4WD has 2 differential boxes to drive 2 pair of wheels.
Full time/permanant 4WD has one more differential box sitting in between the front and rear differential box to handle turnings.
Here is why.

It is the CENTRAL DIFFERENTIAL that make a full time 4X4 system works on all surfaces (offroad and pavement).
BUT! Morden 4x4 now may designed to lock/disable the central differential automatically, especially when engaging "L" mode.

So, how to find out which mode will your SUV lock/disable the central differential?
Very simple, start your car on pavement, switch the mode; try making turn. If the central differential is working/unlock, your steering can turn smooth/freely w/o resistent else you will feel an anti force against you on your steering turn.

Tip: To set free your gears properly on each test, switch back to H or 2WD mode and make a small reverse and then line up again for the next test. You should not continue testing each mode w/o freeing the gears completely.

Another thing, a full time 4X4 with central differential locked is the same like a part time 4X4!

Most of the time, 4X4 can get you moving. There still a condition where 4X4 can get stuck. Read more here.

Happy 4 wheeling!

tpl

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

tpl

N20 Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,101 posts
Thanks for sharing smile_thumbup.gif
2012 NMT President