Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Swift / Forte / Vios / Fiesta, Which?!

• Please log in to reply

scenic

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (madex @ Jan 18 2011, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with kawkawchan. Dual-clutch gearbox tumble in slow speed (crawling traffic to be precise). Other than that, it is superb. German always did successfully in mass production when the rest just think about to do it. Same goes to twincharger engine, combining supercharger and turbocharge which once we would wonder can we? Why not? but now they did for mass production.

CVT in the other hands, has it own advantage especially in traffic and town driving. Light, cheap, save space, smooth and steady which basically it works like gearbox in scooter/Yahama Passola. Bust the most popular drawback is the reliability. Not mentioned once drive in rush, the nature make the engine screaming longer before the rev come down. Imagine if the engine is loud and there is no manual/paddle shifting.

But then nowdays many car has manual/paddle shift option and the shift respond is quick (i mean very quick) which can make consumers feel very exciting. Poor consumers!....The truth is whatever number of speeds they say, 6 or 7 are just virtual settings where there is actually no swapping gears happen since it only use one gear which is variable. That why the shift respond is quick. They can make it to 10 speeder if they want but that will be unessessary.

If we told them all this, would they bloody care? I guess not. The odd respond might come out, aaa!... like that ah?.. CVT is good la then... smile_big.gif

Bro,
On the other hand, Audi being German, they are using CVT GB. Just for discussion. Cheers.
director's choice

madex

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

madex

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Jan 18 2011, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro,
On the other hand, Audi being German, they are using CVT GB. Just for discussion. Cheers.

Agreed, CVT suit to comfort models. CVT in A6 2.0 vs S-tronic in A4 2.0.

Aah!.... not mention the power differ from the same engine... 160hp in A6 vs 200hp in A4.

forgoodd

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

forgoodd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
QUOTE (tiganasfx @ Jan 18 2011, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Once you tried Dual Shift GB you will never go back to Torque Converter or the rubber band CVT.

Agree Bro smile_thumbup.gif

FOONG2000

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

FOONG2000

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
QUOTE (yun @ Dec 10 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering a car around RM 85k range.

Here's my choices and opinion so far from test drive, please help. Feedback from owners would be greatly appreciated. Do recommend others that's appropriate if I missed any.

(1) Swift

Pros
Cheapest after rebate, about RM 69k.
Decent "go-kart" feel.

Cons
Car is dated (even the colours on the brochure I got were faded). Interior match with the cheap price.

(2) Forte

Pros
C-segment at B-segment price.
Good space and super specs.

Cons
Had bad experience with Korean brand (ie high FC and terrible resale value). Sceptical on its realibility in the long-run.

(3) Vios

Pros
Very "safe" car, in terms of realibility and resale value.

Cons
Under-specs. Premium in price goes to service and resale.
Had bad NVH during test drive. Probably due to tyre roar?

(4) Fiesta

Pros
Unbelievable handling.
Specs second to Forte.

Cons
Engine tend to rev high (> 4k rpm on 1st gear). Reluctant to upshift unless through manual blip on the pedal. Lack of manual overdrive worsen the experience. Common to all? Any solution to this?
Abundant splash of plastic over the interior.

FORD Europe is launching Fiesta with Ecoboost this coming March. With paddle shift. Since u had waited so long for a new car, why not wait a few more months.

forgoodd

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

forgoodd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
QUOTE (FOONG2000 @ Jan 20 2011, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FORD Europe is launching Fiesta with Ecoboost this coming March. With paddle shift. Since u had waited so long for a new car, why not wait a few more months.

Yes, that is in EURO, not Asia, Asia market will be slower , not few months, maybe a year, who know???

FOONG2000

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

FOONG2000

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
QUOTE (forgoodd @ Jan 20 2011, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, that is in EURO, not Asia, Asia market will be slower , not few months, maybe a year, who know???

forgoodd, as per the chinese saying, "if we wait long enough, the clouds will clear and we shall c the moon".

haha, hope my current ride can tahan until the moon come.

jayraptor

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (tanglp @ Jan 11 2011, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good stuff. But was the engine change mentioned? Or we'll just have to wait and see?

Hi tanglp,

Forte's Gamma engine is quite new. So they won't change the engine block but might change the head. The most it'll get is dual CVVT that would improve FC and output.

Hi multipla,

Thanks.

Hi scenic,

Are you looking forward to get the new Ranger 2.2 VGT turbo or sedan with diesel powered?

Hi tiganasfx, kawkawchan and madex,

Dual clutch is mechanical and yet reliable + durable. That is considered an upgrade replacing torque convertor. An added advantage to have.

CVT gearbox, no thanks to its more expensive ATF and labour charge. I prefer metal rather than rubberband steelbelt.

Hi Foong,

Our petrol grade already degraded from RON97 down to RON95. What else with EURO 3 diesel. Price of RON97 is going to be close to RM3.00 soon compared to back then at RM1.80. Now, RM1.90 for RON95. If EURO 3 being introduced, will they charge us kawkaw like RM2.40 per litre with reason of being more expensive to develop whereas they all came from the same boiler?

Your philosophy might end up not able to see the moon but stars instead then the sun and clouds again

scenic

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Jan 21 2011, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi scenic,

Are you looking forward to get the new Ranger 2.2 VGT turbo or sedan with diesel powered?

Hi bro Jay,
It's been a while since we chatted here. How are you doing with your Forte. Its FC is pretty impressive, no more the olden days of Korean cars are high FC stigma. Congrats once again.

Me ? Yeah looking forward to the launch of all new Ranger T6 2.2 TDCi + 6 speed automatic. Ford M'sia has been tight lipped about its launch when I called its hotline. Can you help to get some infor for me ? For sure I am sure to switch camp, no more Japanese brands for me. Enough of their bad attitudes for dumping old techs stuff and high pricing to us. Why should I be loyal to them ? Cheers.
director's choice

jayraptor

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Jan 21 2011, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi bro Jay,
It's been a while since we chatted here. How are you doing with your Forte. Its FC is pretty impressive, no more the olden days of Korean cars are high FC stigma. Congrats once again.

Me ? Yeah looking forward to the launch of all new Ranger T6 2.2 TDCi + 6 speed automatic. Ford M'sia has been tight lipped about its launch when I called its hotline. Can you help to get some infor for me ? For sure I am sure to switch camp, no more Japanese brands for me. Enough of their bad attitudes for dumping old techs stuff and high pricing to us. Why should I be loyal to them ? Cheers.

Hi Scenic,

My Forte 1.6's FC is just good but not excellent like the Fiesta with dual VVT engine. Its engine speed is the same as my old Camry 2.2 speed 80km/h at 2000rpm, 100km/h at 2500rpm and 110km/h at 3000rpm.

My old N16, 60km/h at 2000rpm, 80km/h at 2500rpm, 90km/h at 3000rpm.

Treat it and drive it like 2.0L will guarantee 12km/L in mixed driving as its output is tuned to optimum. If drive like normal weaker 1.6L with often hitting over 3000rpm, will get 10-11km/L depend on traffic.

The new Ranger is very impressive, I'll meet you at that new thread.

yun

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

yun

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
I got delivery of my Fiesta Hatch last week, here's my immediate observations/feedback:-

THE BAD

(1) Two sections are joined near the driver's footrest which caused uneven surface and if you run your fingers alot it, the line is quite sharp. If your left leg lean close to that section and jerk up, it can potentially cut. Anyone had the same observation? In most car, that place should have been smooth.

(2) Engine tends to rev in 1st gear and only change when it's close to 3k rpm. The sound from the high rev made bystandards glance at you thinking :" this fella wanna speed or what?" but actually I'm just trying to move! It's definitely something that has to get used to.

(3) Ergonomic of the power windows switches at driver's side is indeed poor. Frequently I was struggling at ticket machines and guard houses.. your arms will have to yank way back just to get to the driver's window.

(4) Aircond flow too strong even at the lowest speed, which is equivalent to other car's 3 or 4 speed, I think.

THE GOOD

(1) Steering feel is superb. Wonderful.

(2) The trade off from the high rev is that I usually comes first at traffic stop. Correction, not only first, but very very far ahead. Reaching 100 km/h from rest is effortless.

(3) Voice recognition system is suprisingly accurate, even better than my Blackberry.

Trying to be balance here.. even though I'm an owner (for 3-4 days).