Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

New Santa Fe With R Diesel Engine

• Please log in to reply

ymfoo

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

ymfoo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
QUOTE (chuckles32 @ Dec 8 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Guys this is my maiden post. I need your opinion about whether I should get the Hyundai Santa Fe or the Peugeot 5008. I like both 7 seaters and they both have fold flat 3 row seats. I like the Santa fe leather brown and also the specs all look great. Took a test drive around the factory only and the diesel clatter when cold is quite loud and can even be heard a bit inside the cabin but once warmed up it quietens down a lot.

Which would give me a more comfortable ride? I am currently driving a 12 year old Toyota Harrier 3.0 which is very comfortable but getting old already. I heard that a 2 year old Santa Fe is selling for RM88k only which means that the depreciation is extremely bad. Selling price is 160k for the Peugeot and 169k for the Santa Fe with the diesel.

Pls help give opinions, all tai kor and sifu's.

You test drove it oledi? Must be at Glenmarie outlet, right? How was the power and smoothness of the gear and engine apart from the diesel clatter? May be will be there to test drive this weekend.

Between the Santa Fe and 5008, I find the 5008 a bit too small for my liking. I can't even fit myself into the 3rd row at the KLIMS. If you are looking for a large vehicle like your Harrier, you may want to have the Santa Fe, the 3rd row is also for kids but is much larger than the 5008.

But may be you want to hold for a few more months, the Sorento may launch the same R diesel engine then. The Sorento looks more modern, the equipment list is more complete ( dual-zone climate control, six airbags, ABS, ESC, EBD, Hill Start Assist Control and Downhill Brake Control ).

However the Santa Fe has better build quality and material used in the cabin.

Don't expect good returns on these vehicles. If you want good returns, go for Toyota or Honda.
Cars, Oh cars......

chuckles32

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

chuckles32

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (ymfoo @ Dec 9 2010, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You test drove it oledi? Must be at Glenmarie outlet, right? How was the power and smoothness of the gear and engine apart from the diesel clatter? May be will be there to test drive this weekend.

Between the Santa Fe and 5008, I find the 5008 a bit too small for my liking. I can't even fit myself into the 3rd row at the KLIMS. If you are looking for a large vehicle like your Harrier, you may want to have the Santa Fe, the 3rd row is also for kids but is much larger than the 5008.

But may be you want to hold for a few more months, the Sorento may launch the same R diesel engine then. The Sorento looks more modern, the equipment list is more complete ( dual-zone climate control, six airbags, ABS, ESC, EBD, Hill Start Assist Control and Downhill Brake Control ).

Don't expect good returns on these vehicles. If you want good returns, go for Toyota or Honda.

Thanks guys....I test drove it in Gurun 10 days before the KLims. Had a quick drive around the factory bbefore they loaded the cars for KLims. Seems like the vehicles are assembled in Kulim Innokom.

So far the Sorento does not have the 2.2 diesel and it is THIS engine that makes my saliva drip drip...I think the depreciation for the 5008 will be better than the Santa Fe.

The fit and finish was good and the material used is also very good with many soft touch parts. To me it is almost complete in terms of kit and accesories. The power for the immediate pickup is very good almost like lunging forward. My other concern is not being able to fully test out the drive rolling through all the gears. around the factory means mostly 1st and 2nd gears. in terms of vibration and harshness it is quite well damped no vibration. Feels a lot more expensive then it is.

The interior design looks a bit old. Functional and nice but older looking. I like it tohugh as I do not like the dashboard design of the Tucson...a bit too flair or flashy to me. Personally I like Volkswagen dashboards very understated and yet masculine.

No more fake wood panelling but using carbon fibre trim. I think Nissan has the best faux wood panels look at the ones in Teana and Sylphy. The trim fits Santa Fe fine and the brown leather chairs are very cool very european and powered as well but no memory. The leather is done locally by APM if I am not mistaken.

chuckles32

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

chuckles32

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (ymfoo @ Dec 9 2010, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys....I test drove it in Gurun 10 days before the KLims. Had a quick drive around the factory bbefore they loaded the cars for KLims. Seems like the vehicles are assembled in Kulim Innokom.

So far the Sorento does not have the 2.2 diesel and it is THIS engine that makes my saliva drip drip...I think the depreciation for the 5008 will be better than the Santa Fe.

The fit and finish was good and the material used is also very good with many soft touch parts. To me it is almost complete in terms of kit and accesories. The power for the immediate pickup is very good almost like lunging forward. My other concern is not being able to fully test out the drive rolling through all the gears. around the factory means mostly 1st and 2nd gears. in terms of vibration and harshness it is quite well damped no vibration. Feels a lot more expensive then it is.

The interior design looks a bit old. Functional and nice but older looking. I like it tohugh as I do not like the dashboard design of the Tucson...a bit too flair or flashy to me. Personally I like Volkswagen dashboards very understated and yet masculine.

No more fake wood panelling but using carbon fibre trim. I think Nissan has the best faux wood panels look at the ones in Teana and Sylphy. The trim fits Santa Fe fine and the brown leather chairs are very cool very european and powered as well but no memory. The leather is done locally by APM if I am not mistaken.

dzat

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

dzat

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
QUOTE (chuckles32 @ Dec 9 2010, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My opinion sway towards the Santa Fe:

1) Bigger than 5008
2) more powerful/torque....440nm (SF) vs 240nm (5008)
3) better fuel consumption...14.9km/l(SF) vs 12.9km/l (5008)

but advantage to 5008, cheaper road tax for a 1.6 engine compared to SF 2.2 engine

Just an opinion

dzat

chuckles32

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

chuckles32

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (dzat @ Dec 9 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My opinion sway towards the Santa Fe:

1) Bigger than 5008
2) more powerful/torque....440nm (SF) vs 240nm (5008)
3) better fuel consumption...14.9km/l(SF) vs 12.9km/l (5008)

but advantage to 5008, cheaper road tax for a 1.6 engine compared to SF 2.2 engine

Just an opinion

Thanks Dzat....ya i like it too...only the depreciation giving me nightmare and make me scared. 2008 model in magazine for 88k! I think Peugeot cars depreciation is better kot?

dzat

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

dzat

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
QUOTE (chuckles32 @ Dec 9 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Dzat....ya i like it too...only the depreciation giving me nightmare and make me scared. 2008 model in magazine for 88k! I think Peugeot cars depreciation is better kot?

Anyway, Santa Fe 5 yrs/300,000km warranty is a peace of mind too (5008 only 3 yrs/100,000km)....anyway, you need to keep for more than 5 years for both cars ...if u're planning to keep changing cars after 3 years, a Honda/Toyota is safer bet
dzat

hongkie123

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

hongkie123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
QUOTE (ymfoo @ Dec 9 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am surprise you don't like the brown leather!! It's really cool, man. Somemore it is Napa leather, almost the best quality. The Passat CC is also using the same colour Napa leather as one of its choices.

I like the Santa Fe very much. Good specs, powerful and design acceptable. Leather quality good but BROWN. It's not the leather, it's the color.

I was like, so wanted to kill the person who chosed BROWN. I have waited so long for the Santa Fe launch but BROWN. I purposely did not buy Captiva and Pajero Sport just because I wanted Santa Fe. Imagine my disappointment. Isn't there another better color? I would have placed order for the Santa Fe on Tuesday if not for the brown leather. Showed Home Minister the color of seat and her reaction was shocked at its ugliness. You can say me and my Home Minister do not like BROWN.

chuckles32

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

chuckles32

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (hongkie123 @ Dec 9 2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the Santa Fe very much. Good specs, powerful and design acceptable. Leather quality good but BROWN. It's not the leather, it's the color.

I was like, so wanted to kill the person who chosed BROWN. I have waited so long for the Santa Fe launch but BROWN. I purposely did not buy Captiva and Pajero Sport just because I wanted Santa Fe. Imagine my disappointment. Isn't there another better color? I would have placed order for the Santa Fe on Tuesday if not for the brown leather. Showed Home Minister the color of seat and her reaction was shocked at its ugliness. You can say me and my Home Minister do not like BROWN.

haha buy la and then change the leather seat only ma. I think there is a phone 4 free gift also. I will probably also get one but will wait and see a few months for whether sorento is coming out with the diesel as well. the sorento has a fresher look.

luvcar

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

luvcar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
QUOTE (chuckles32 @ Dec 9 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
haha buy la and then change the leather seat only ma. I think there is a phone 4 free gift also. I will probably also get one but will wait and see a few months for whether sorento is coming out with the diesel as well. the sorento has a fresher look.

Naza-Kia confirmed their stand that they will not bring in the diesel version to Malaysia. Only petrol 2.4l. it's eitheru take it or leave it. As forumer mentioned before, Kia & SF are siblings. If they bring it in, it'll be direct competition. And at the same time, Naza should be concentrating on Chevy & Peugeot in 2011-12.

By the way, I think that the resale value of Kia is even worst than Hyundai.

And I dont think Santa Fe 2.2l diesel 2008 was selling only at RM 88k. If you check on some of the car resale websites, it should be selling around RM 105-120K. Similar price to Captiva.

If Santa Fe 2.2l Diesel (08) is selling at RM 110K (original buying price ard RM 160K); that means it depreciated about RM25K per year for the 1st 2 years.

Peugeot 308 Turbo (09) is selling about RM 93k (original buying price ard RM 118K); that means it depreciated about RM 25K per year after 1 year.

Toyota Rush (S) (08) selling about RM 72K (original buying price ard RM 92K); that means it depreciated about RM 10K oer year for the first 2 years.

So, I guess the depreciation is about the same between Hyundai & Peugeot (maybe Peugeot slightly better). But if really the resale value is your concern, then you really have to go for Toyota...

I'm scratching my head too. Now, juggling between Santa Fe, 5008, and 06 or 07 recon Estima (X Package).

Another point to consider, Santa Fe should be getting new design in 2012. That may further pull down the depreciation value on this current design model... Susah la...

Kevin

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
The 308 Turbo is not RM118k. It was launched at RM110k, then RM113k and now RM118k.

The Sante Fe may be a bigger car but I believe the 5008 is more versatile with its seating arrangements.