Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Teana Or Sonata Yf

• Please log in to reply

darreltian

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

darreltian

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts
hmmm....if someone label camry as unker car then i regret to say that teana and sylphy are grand-unker car smile_blackeye.gif
next time, share on the car's strength and not the other way round....anyway diff people diff taste....cheers

paulkky

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

paulkky

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
well thank you for all your guys comment....Finally i have decided to go with 2.5 V6 Teana after 2nd test drive and web search for reviews in other country...

I think the reason i choose Teana is bcos of the following-
1) Engine
2) Interior quality , especially the leather trims
3) Quietness and conform
4) very good over trade by Nissan on my 1.8 Wish
5) resell value

I have browse thru some Teana pcitures, i think if i change the Rims to 18", darker tinting and maybe some light bodykits..it will be a killer....I actually booked a Diamond Black...

By the way, have u guys notice, the Teana actually have a factory fitted front strut bar!!!!!

Cheers mate

jimmynhs

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

jimmynhs

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
After waiting 3 months for my sonata Yf which they haven deliver to me and expected me to wait for another 2 months..I booked the Teana 2.5L which they said could deliver within a month. As of now, i m waiting to see who is going to give me the car first. as for the later i will just cancel booking.

dick

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:47 AM

dick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
QUOTE (paulkky @ Nov 26 2010, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear all

Been to both showroom and tested both car...2.5 Teana & 2.4 Sonata...
Now dont no which one to choose..

Both cars have its strength and weakness
Teana is a comfy and high class looks, like the comfy but the interior dash really a let down.
Sonata is a head turner but the quality is not as good as Teana. But wht i really worry is the resale value after 4-5yrs.

What you guys think....i have the budget but cant choose between the two....

Cheers

I used to own a 2.5 teana in S'pore. She's a fine car: Quiet, comfy, refined. That's how I'd sum up as ownership experience. If I were to take the S'pore version (i.e. direct Japan import, HID, ottoman footrest, vented seats, etc.), the 2.5 should win hands down as compared to the 2.4 YF. Now that M'sia version lacks few features (i.e. ottoman, vented seats, not sure anything else), the YF may have an edge, consider its looks, moonroof, etc. I've tested the 2.0 YF, & felt its engine still lacks refinement & suspension feels stiff / bouncy on uneven surfaces. It reminds me of those previous generation sonatas taxis they used in S'pore unfortunately! I've yet to test the 2.4 YF, so can't make better judgement on it comparing to the 2.5 Teana. But since the 2.0 YF & 2.4 YF built / fit / engine type are relatively similar, I'd have to assume they both will feel quite similar except on the power side (the 2.4 should be more torquey). FYI, I've tested extensively the 2.0 vs 2.5 Teana & the 2.5 V6 really win hands down in terms of power & engine refinement to pull the heavy chassis.

Though I can't comment too much on the 2.4 YF since I don't own it before / yet, if I were to summarize them based on my own observations as a 2.5 Teana owner, my observations:

Teana
- Refined, quiet, comfy, on decent speeds (below 150km/h).
- But when reached above 160km/h on NS hwy, noise will start to intrude even though I used MXV8 tyres.
- Fuel economy superb! Full tank 70L travelling average 180km/h fr SG to KL only used up 35L, with few days of fuel to spare.
- Classy & big interior, but abit flimsy. Comes with full-sized spare tyre, at least the SG version.
- Comfy, soft, vented seats, but cream color leather quite difficult to maintain. Unfortunately M'sia 2.5 version doesn't come with lumbar & vented seats. They really made a difference in terms of premium comfort in hot weather.
- On NS highway the 2.5 can't really keep up with the 2.4 Accord. Perhaps Accord got more power/torque/weight ratio? Again can't comment as just based on my own experience in an "informal" race.
- Sound system - abit weak / sucky to my standard.
- 4 airbags, same as S'pore version. Another plus.
- Looks can be dated, more conservative. But it's subjective.
- Better resale value? Well, it probably depends esp in Malaysia.

Sonata 2.0/2.4YF
- Quiet, comfy but I feel the suspension & seat materials abit too stiff to my liking. Perhaps it's designed to corner well with less body roll. Engine sounds gruffy when pushed. Again this is only the 2.0 YF high spec & I've yet to test the 2.4. But based on some magazine reviews the 2.4 confirms more or less similar experience to the 2.0.
- Fuel economy? Looks promising on paper, but only YF owners can comment on this esp constantly travelling on high speed.
- Extremely huge interior & boot! Its definitely bigger than Teana, & I think the interior is more stylish & probably more durable than Teana. Unfortunately only comes with small spare tyre.
- Not sure how this 2.4 performs at high speed, as it got 6-speed vs 5-speed gear shift on the teana. Only YF owners can comment on this.
- More bold / stylish compared to Teana. Definitely a better head turner. Just my personal view.
- Black leather may be easier to maintain than the cream color ones. I think.
- The 2.0 is semi-leather, the salesman said 2.4 is full leather. Not sure if it's true but the semi-leather definitely not comfy. I'm not sure if M'sia 2.5 Teana version will come with the soft / full leather? May have to confirm.
- Sound system: Sounded quite good during my test drive, again it's just a test drive not as owner's viewpoint.
- Only 2 air bags, S'pore i35/40 got 4. Minor disadvantage I guess.
- Looks more refresh, eye catching. Again, it's subjective.
- Resale value not as good as Japs? Again, prob depends.

My take? Will prob go for the Teana again as it's one of the better car I've ever owned. But consider the fact that M'sia version doesn't have the essentials (i.e. vented seats, ottoman, prob another CKD with potential lemons), the YF seems to be on par to compete. The YF is more refreshing & better looking, Teana wearing the Nissan badge is known for quality & refinement. I'm glad to see that the new Teana in M'sia is priced reasonably (at least in our current standards with the big boys like Camry / Accord / etc.) & not the exhorbitant previous 200k+ price tag. It's a hard choice for me as well, as the emotional aspects in owning a car can sometimes defy conventional logics. In sum, both Teana & YF are great cars in their own merits.
dick

TheGunner

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:22 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (fred88 @ Nov 26 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what about s40 or mondeo if compared to these two?
any inputs?

No comments on the S40, but I'm a big fan of the Mondeo. It has very impressive handling regardless of size and easily ranks among one of the best cars to drive at that budget. The only letdown of that car for me is a disappointing powertrain.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

TheGunner

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:23 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (fox68 @ Nov 28 2010, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny that the V6 on the Nissan sounds better than the V6 on the Merc E280 and C300..I tot shd be better..3 point star, mah. Maybe bro. Gunner can compare for us?

Well.... A better sound or worse sound is a subjective thing. I haven't had a chance to test the Mercedes 300 engine, but I am arranging for a test car of the Teana.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

jayraptor

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (sunyatsen @ Nov 26 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are worried about quality and 2nd hand value, Japanese vehicles always have the edge against the Korean mades (as of now). I will not comment about looks as it is subjective. I'll not talk about price as you have budget for both (but u can save more money with the Sonata) . If you are talking about performance, the Teana wins hands down and is creamy smooth. About handling, I think Sonata is slightly better although I have yet to get the chance to test them at high speed. If you are aspiring to link your image to a towkay, the Teana is definitely going to do a better job due to its stronger brand image and the design (just my personal opinion).

Not all Japs makes have good resale value. Only those that either have proper acceptable looks with proven reliability, durability & practicality or having good performance and handling. Those that failed either one would end up getting poor resale value.

- Sylphy dropped more than RM20k in less than 1 year, is the resale value good?

- Forte's resale value confirmed good, depreciation is acceptable at about RM6k to RM8k per annum.

- Rush & Unser resale value bad

- Latio resale value not that good as well compared to Vios and City, drop at more than RM10k a year, saw few pending sales too long that even N16 is doing better.

- Camry, Altis, Wish, Stream, yes these resale value are good

The Teana, I'll comment after I've checked it. Wait for my comment

ewtan

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

ewtan

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Nov 29 2010, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well.... A better sound or worse sound is a subjective thing. I haven't had a chance to test the Mercedes 300 engine, but I am arranging for a test car of the Teana.

I did compare my A33. 3.0 (2002) with Rexton RX320 (2002) that claim that using Mercedes E320 petrol engine and Mercedes ML320, Cefiro 3.0 V6 engine is more quiet and engine temperature is lower.
But overall Mercedes car more quiet , not because of the engine but sound insulation.
Mcintosh

sunyatsen

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

sunyatsen

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Nov 30 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not all Japs makes have good resale value. Only those that either have proper acceptable looks with proven reliability, durability & practicality or having good performance and handling. Those that failed either one would end up getting poor resale value.

- Sylphy dropped more than RM20k in less than 1 year, is the resale value good?

- Forte's resale value confirmed good, depreciation is acceptable at about RM6k to RM8k per annum.

- Rush & Unser resale value bad

- Latio resale value not that good as well compared to Vios and City, drop at more than RM10k a year, saw few pending sales too long that even N16 is doing better.

- Camry, Altis, Wish, Stream, yes these resale value are good

The Teana, I'll comment after I've checked it. Wait for my comment

Now I have to promote you to sik siu soi pan toi piu to sin ka. smile_tongue.gif Where do you get the fact that Sylphy depreciated more than RM20k after less than one year???? To be frank, I've got RM6K discount when I bought my car 2 years ago. Overtrade is RM5K for my used Honda City. Actually, I paid less than RM103K. So, for a 2008 Sylphy it is selling RM90K (depreciated RM13K for 2 years). Besides, hell lots of freebies including bodykit. I Do you know what are the factors that determine the used vehicles??? Just a guide from this website.

http://www.autoworld...car/default.asp

You are really a bloody sin ka. Maybe I should upgrade you further by adding the "len" at the back. smile_thumbup.gif

I would not comment the Forte as I don't own one. The real transacted price is important if you want to determine the real depreciation value. Another lesson for you again. smile_big.gif

Popcorn

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:12 PM

Popcorn

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts
QUOTE (sunyatsen @ Dec 1 2010, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I have to promote you to sik siu soi pan toi piu to sin ka. smile_tongue.gif Where do you get the fact that Sylphy depreciated more than RM20k after less than one year???? To be frank, I've got RM6K discount when I bought my car 2 years ago. Overtrade is RM5K for my used Honda City. Actually, I paid less than RM103K. So, for a 2008 Sylphy it is selling RM90K (depreciated RM13K for 2 years). Besides, hell lots of freebies including bodykit. I Do you know what are the factors that determine the used vehicles??? Just a guide from this website.

http://www.autoworld...car/default.asp

You are really a bloody sin ka. Maybe I should upgrade you further by adding the "len" at the back. smile_thumbup.gif

I would not comment the Forte as I don't own one. The real transacted price is important if you want to determine the real depreciation value. Another lesson for you again. smile_big.gif

Guess this Korean car salesman finding numerous hilarious cum sin ka ways to "step" hard on N and H brand of cars.. smile_clown.gif
And also trying hard to influence all that remote problems that may occur in any brand of cars as a 'major' problem for 'all' of such brand of cars.. Smart people here will just take his so-called sik siu siu pan toi piu comments as just entertaining cum hilarious comments.. smile_approve.gif smile_question.gif
Maybe he's strying hard still to convince ownself that he's made the right decision to buy that Korean car of his with the Naza-backed service.. smile_tongue.gif
Cruiser