Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Sonata Yf

• Please log in to reply

batman72

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:27 AM

batman72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi all,

I've been following up on this forum on the Sonata 2.0 YF n I need some answers from those who have owned the car.

1. Has anyone tried the top speed of the Sonata 2.0 YF? Can it reach 200km/h? I don't see reviews telling about the top speed.
2. Does the car come with front parking sensors? I know it has rear sensors.
3. I read some where the car does not come with auto lock. Isn't this standard in cars today? Even my Altis has this.
4. I've booked my car since Aug but up till today the SA says it will only come by end Nov. I was told I would get the car by mid Nov when I booked it. Has anyone who booked in Aug already got your car?
5. has anyone seen the sonata advertisement in the showroom? I like the headlight with LED which looks like the Audi. Anyone knows where I can get that headlights n where to install? Will it void warranty.
6. What else should I know about the Sonata? I am used to Toyota cars n the good service from UMW n I'm feeling goose balls about how Hyundai n after sales service will be. This will be my first Hyundai car.

BTW I've seen many Sonata YF in California while I was there on vacation last month. It is so unfair their Sonata comes with GDI engine n at 2.4 it only cost about RM70k+.

I'm new here n would appreciate all the help I can get. Thx

adrwoon

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:35 AM

adrwoon

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts
hi batman72.. i too am waiting for my car and so, can't answer all your questions but i'll give it a try (my answers are in red):

QUOTE (batman72 @ Nov 19 2010, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

I've been following up on this forum on the Sonata 2.0 YF n I need some answers from those who have owned the car.

1. Has anyone tried the top speed of the Sonata 2.0 YF? Can it reach 200km/h? I don't see reviews telling about the top speed. Wheels Asia mag from Singapore says the top speed is 202km/h. But like all manufacturer figures, they should be taken with some salt. At the recent TT session we had at Awan Besar, some owners have gone at 170km/h which should be plenty fast...
2. Does the car come with front parking sensors? I know it has rear sensors. No, there's no front parking sensor...
3. I read some where the car does not come with auto lock. Isn't this standard in cars today? Even my Altis has this. The auto lock has been disabled by manufacturer. Auto lock by depressing the brake can be reinstated, but there's a cost of RM380.. You can refer to http://forum.autowor...h...t&p=1627732 for more details..
4. I've booked my car since Aug but up till today the SA says it will only come by end Nov. I was told I would get the car by mid Nov when I booked it. Has anyone who booked in Aug already got your car? Unfortunately, a lot of us who booked in July are still waiting for their cars. We maintain a list here: http://forum.autowor...h...t&p=1631230 and I'll add you in. Just let us know exactly when you booked, colour and from where...
5. has anyone seen the sonata advertisement in the showroom? I like the headlight with LED which looks like the Audi. Anyone knows where I can get that headlights n where to install? Will it void warranty.As far as I know, you can't get it locally if what you're looking for is not those LED strips that you stick on. There are websites like http://sharkracing.c...;cate=012101000 which sell pre-assembled housings but they're not exactly cheap. It shouldn't void the warranty, however you can never tell with these guys.. best to ask your SA before ordering ..
6. What else should I know about the Sonata? I am used to Toyota cars n the good service from UMW n I'm feeling goose balls about how Hyundai n after sales service will be. This will be my first Hyundai car. Can't answer you on this one.. real owners'll have answer this one biggrin.gif...

BTW I've seen many Sonata YF in California while I was there on vacation last month. It is so unfair their Sonata comes with GDI engine n at 2.4 it only cost about RM70k+. I guess it's a trade-off.. we get subsidized petrol while they pay the full cost biggrin.gif... but really, all these exorbitant excise duties, import duties, etc... are just a way to check'n'balance other car makers from killing off the local boys in my opinion..

I'm new here n would appreciate all the help I can get. Thx

Well, hope I helped even a little bit laugh.gif...

I don't want to be a genius - I have enough problems just trying to be a man.
Albert Camus

batman72

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

batman72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Adrwoon, this is really a great forum with so many helpful people like you. You are very knowledgeable about the Sonata even while waiting for the car. Sure do please add me to the list. I ordered the white high spec version.

About the top speed, 202km/h isn't high considering the 165HP the car has. Could it be related to the ECU program where it limits the car's top speed? Does anyone know how to remove the speed limiter if there is one. The reason I'm asking about this is that I've tried running my Altis 1.6 n it can reach 180km/h easily on the highway so I expected the Sonata to maybe reach 220km/h.

I read the link u gave me about the auto lock. It says while depressing the brakes the doors will auto lock? Be default, when accelerating the car past 20km/h will the 4 locks auto lock by itself?

The hard part is now waiting for the car. I saw some of the forumners calling the HQ to ask about their car, may I know what is the number and what do I need as a reference when calling up? Will my name just do?

Overall this should be a great car. I don't have it yet but from what I have been reading it should be. Thanks again for replying. Wake up already got answer. Really amazing help u guys are. Thx

adrwoon

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:38 AM

adrwoon

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts
QUOTE (batman72 @ Nov 19 2010, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Adrwoon, this is really a great forum with so many helpful people like you. You are very knowledgeable about the Sonata even while waiting for the car. Sure do please add me to the list. I ordered the white high spec version.

About the top speed, 202km/h isn't high considering the 165HP the car has. Could it be related to the ECU program where it limits the car's top speed? Does anyone know how to remove the speed limiter if there is one. The reason I'm asking about this is that I've tried running my Altis 1.6 n it can reach 180km/h easily on the highway so I expected the Sonata to maybe reach 220km/h.

I read the link u gave me about the auto lock. It says while depressing the brakes the doors will auto lock? Be default, when accelerating the car past 20km/h will the 4 locks auto lock by itself?

The hard part is now waiting for the car. I saw some of the forumners calling the HQ to ask about their car, may I know what is the number and what do I need as a reference when calling up? Will my name just do?

Overall this should be a great car. I don't have it yet but from what I have been reading it should be. Thanks again for replying. Wake up already got answer. Really amazing help u guys are. Thx

hahaha... yup.. i really like this forum too.. one good thing about our region (whether Malaysia or Singapore) is our teh tarik laugh.gif.. the next time we have a TT session why not join us? one great thing for me is we find out that the ppl we interact online with here are genuinely nice ppl (me included hahaha.. just kidding).. we have ppl like ricprom who are willing to take the time to organize sessions and to actually bring ppl to fix up their car - now he's a real helpful person..

anyhow, to answer your question on top speed - it's a trade-off on fuel consumption (FC) and output.. personally, i ordered the 2.4 more for lower end torque rather than out-n-out speed.. the bonus is the ECU is already mapped for efficient FC but, stretch ur toes further and she will get up and go.. just turn off the ECO light... smile.gif

i was playing around with the test car's settings and i could have sworn i saw auto door lock settings on Speed or Shift Lever like in the owner's manual.. if the manual is correct, you can set it to lock on Speed when it reachs 15km/h it should lock the doors.. but based on some of the replies, it doesn't seem so..

i find if i call the Care Line at 1300 12 2000, it's not as helpful as writing a note on the website.. provide them your details in the note like date of booking, sales order no., and they will call you back within the day with real info after doing some research...

take care matey
Albert Camus

batman72

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

batman72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
I just managed to call the customer careline (number is 1300132000) and spoke to Mr. Fariz. Accoding to him, those who ordered the car from 27th July to 3rd Sept, the car will only arrive somewhere end Dec and early Jan.... smile_angry.gif

If this is true, it will bea delay of nearly 2 months from the promised delivery date of Mid Nov.

Adrwoon, when did u book your car? I booked mine on 15th Aug.

BTW, Mr. Fariz was very courteous and said he will call me back in 10 mins time while he checks with my dealer. In fact, this first impression is giving me a bit of comfort level as you know I am jumping from the Toyota wagon to the Hyundai wagon. I hope it is worth it.

I have some more questions... hehe... i know u guys will love answering it if you know.

These are the things I plan to do when the car comes.

1. I want to install a brake pedal lock as an additional security precaution. It is something like what I have on the Altis where the lock is installed under the dashboard and when pulled to lock position, you cannot press the brake.

2. I will definitely want to do tinting. The SA once to recommend one brand to me.. .but I forgot the name. It cost about RM1350 for all windows, including the the panaromic roof.

3. I will definitely want to install the autolock feature. Wonder why Hyundai disabled this useful function.

4. I'm waiting to change the audio system to LCD DVD. I read somewhere in this forum Flyaudio has it for Tucson already. Have any of the current owners managed to install one for their Sonata now?

5. Is there a way to fix a front parking sensor. Finding that missing on the Sonata is really ashame.

6. I heard the horn is puny. Any recommendations to replace it? Will it void warranty?

Thanks..... Cheers

adrwoon

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

adrwoon

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts
QUOTE (batman72 @ Nov 19 2010, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just managed to call the customer careline (number is 1300132000) and spoke to Mr. Fariz. Accoding to him, those who ordered the car from 27th July to 3rd Sept, the car will only arrive somewhere end Dec and early Jan.... smile_angry.gif

If this is true, it will bea delay of nearly 2 months from the promised delivery date of Mid Nov.

Adrwoon, when did u book your car? I booked mine on 15th Aug. i booked mine 19 Jul and the same Fariz told me to expect latest by mid-Dec.. my SA told me 2-3 months which shld have been 19 Oct, but then again... you know the story la

BTW, Mr. Fariz was very courteous and said he will call me back in 10 mins time while he checks with my dealer. In fact, this first impression is giving me a bit of comfort level as you know I am jumping from the Toyota wagon to the Hyundai wagon. I hope it is worth it. don't worry... the Sonata's FC will already start giving you some savings the moment you start driving.. think of it that way.. hahaha.. anyway, i always tell myself to focus on the car.. yes, HSDM may lack in some areas of cust service but hey, what's more important is that the car is worth the money, there are spare parts available, and the mechanics can service our babies properly

I have some more questions... hehe... i know u guys will love answering it if you know.

These are the things I plan to do when the car comes.

1. I want to install a brake pedal lock as an additional security precaution. It is something like what I have on the Altis where the lock is installed under the dashboard and when pulled to lock position, you cannot press the brake. wow.. i wouldn't know about this one, sorry smile_big.gif

2. I will definitely want to do tinting. The SA once to recommend one brand to me.. .but I forgot the name. It cost about RM1350 for all windows, including the the panaromic roof. SS2 dealership which i went to is on the same block as Raytech.. so I went with Raytech.. but the price i'm quoted is RM2,600 for security film including pano-roof.. i'm thinking of changing to just the normal V90 tint Raytech offers.. hope it'll be cheaper..

3. I will definitely want to install the autolock feature. Wonder why Hyundai disabled this useful function. your guess is as good as mine smile.gif

4. I'm waiting to change the audio system to LCD DVD. I read somewhere in this forum Flyaudio has it for Tucson already. Have any of the current owners managed to install one for their Sonata now? we're waiting for them to bring in the fascia for the Sonata.. apparently if it's done at HSDM-approved outlet, warranty is fine, so we're waiting.. just worried about the cost

5. Is there a way to fix a front parking sensor. Finding that missing on the Sonata is really ashame. i plan on doing front sensor and rain sensor.. i did my rain sensor with these guys before and lasted 7 years no prob.. going to do it again too.. http://the3rdeye.com...fproductss.html.. there should be other places as well but i'm too lazy to look ahahaha

6. I heard the horn is puny. Any recommendations to replace it? Will it void warranty? i plan on changing mine to either Stebel or PIAA at the place ricprom recommended in Bandar Puteri.. warranty is fine.. oh.. and apparently the carpets don't last, so maybe you should think about changing that too (to buy ori is $$$$)

Thanks..... Cheers

Albert Camus

batman72

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

batman72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
Mr. Fariz did call me back... well his news was not want I wanted to hear. He said I could only get the car in Jan 2011..Gosh. That will be a 5 months wait. I told him the SA promised me 3.5 month!!! He said he will try and see. Actually there is one shipment on 22nd Nov and another one on 30th Nov. Both shipments promise to cater for July and Aug orders. From what I heard there is another shipment in Dec.

Not giving up hope, I called my SA. He guranteed me my car is in the end Nov shipment. Hence, after customs and AP clearance. I should get the car by 15 Dec. Well, I hope so, coz I plan to drive back the car to my hometown before Christmas.

Hey adrwoon, btw, if u do your rain and front sensors, do let me know where u did it and how much it costs. Hyundai should learn not to leave such minor details out of such a nice car. I mean, it has all the gizmo and newest of technology, but things like front sensor, disabling auto-locks really shows that Hyundai does not know what Malaysians want. I mean paying RM140k for a car and not having front sensors...it will be an utmost shame, don't you agree? If I were to buy a RM40k car, maybe it is acceptable.

Ok, I'll add the carpets to my list of items...

adrwoon

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:11 PM

adrwoon

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts
QUOTE (batman72 @ Nov 19 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mr. Fariz did call me back... well his news was not want I wanted to hear. He said I could only get the car in Jan 2011..Gosh. That will be a 5 months wait. I told him the SA promised me 3.5 month!!! He said he will try and see. Actually there is one shipment on 22nd Nov and another one on 30th Nov. Both shipments promise to cater for July and Aug orders. From what I heard there is another shipment in Dec.

Not giving up hope, I called my SA. He guranteed me my car is in the end Nov shipment. Hence, after customs and AP clearance. I should get the car by 15 Dec. Well, I hope so, coz I plan to drive back the car to my hometown before Christmas.

Hey adrwoon, btw, if u do your rain and front sensors, do let me know where u did it and how much it costs. Hyundai should learn not to leave such minor details out of such a nice car. I mean, it has all the gizmo and newest of technology, but things like front sensor, disabling auto-locks really shows that Hyundai does not know what Malaysians want. I mean paying RM140k for a car and not having front sensors...it will be an utmost shame, don't you agree? If I were to buy a RM40k car, maybe it is acceptable.

Ok, I'll add the carpets to my list of items...

hi batman72.. actually i replied in the other forum but i'll just copy it here as well:

ok.. for the rain sensor, it's about RM390 and for the front sensor, it's RM 390.00 (2 sensors) / RM 490.00 (4 sensors)... installation fees to have everything done is RM100 (actually if you buy the TPMS, mirror folding, etc., the installation for everything is still RM100 all in)... and like i mentioned earlier, the rain sensor worked perfectly for 7 years without any problems...

btw, sorry la... the website i gave earlier was the old one... the new one is http://www.sfautoelectronics.com/
Albert Camus

batman72

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

batman72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
My car has arrived in port Klang last week. Hope to get it before Christmas. Anyway I have some additional questions on the car:

1. Can it run on Ron 95 fuel?
2. Heard abbot Sierra Glow. What is so good about it? If I were to wax myself will there be a different?
3. Plan to install brake lock and do tinting. Can't remember the SA mention watt brand but he says RM1300 can cover whole car plus panoramic roof. Do u think it is a good bargain?

ricprom

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:22 AM

ricprom

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
QUOTE (batman72 @ Dec 11 2010, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My car has arrived in port Klang last week. Hope to get it before Christmas. Anyway I have some additional questions on the car:

1. Can it run on Ron 95 fuel?
2. Heard abbot Sierra Glow. What is so good about it? If I were to wax myself will there be a different?
3. Plan to install brake lock and do tinting. Can't remember the SA mention watt brand but he says RM1300 can cover whole car plus panoramic roof. Do u think it is a good bargain?

Hi batman72,

1. YES it can run on Ron 95. Infact I have mine running since day 1 till now. no problem.
If u do Sierra Glow, u don't hav eto wax your car and it should have the shine for 5 years. As for beading, it should last about 1-2 years. refer to www. sierraglow.com.my for more info. I have also done Sierra Glow on my Sonata YF, happy with it.
3. I would suggest that you do thetinting on your own at some of the reputable brands. I have mine done with 3M cystalline and happy with it. Not security film as it is not necessary and clearer. A lot of SA will do the tinting for u with some non proven brands and will probably have problem after 1-2 years later.

If you are interested to chat a bit more your Sonata YF and where to do what, call me at 012-2244122. I will be glad to help and also hope that u will join us the Sonata YF owners future gathering.
smile.gif
RickPeugeot5008
ricprom@hotmail.com