Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Alarm With Gps No Help To Buyer

• Please log in to reply

enduser

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:18 AM

enduser

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
http://thestar.com.m...=...&sec=nation

---------------quote-----------------
Monday November 1, 2010

Alarm with GPS no help to buyer
By SARBAN SINGH
newsdesk@thestar.com.my

SEREMBAN: Spare-parts dealer Ong Eng Ching learnt the hard way that Global Positioning System (GPS) for vehicles is not really foolproof – at a very costly RM138,000.

That was the amount he had paid in cash for a used Toyota Fortuner which a company had put up for sale via tender.

The father of three, who had wanted to take the family for more outings together, had successfully bid for the car.

“I then went to the insurance company to get cover for the car but was told to install an alarm system with GPS (global positioning system) first to prevent theft,’’ he said, adding that he then fixed the gadget for RM2,400.

However, he said the car was stolen from his house in Taman Merpati here while waiting for the transfer of ownership and insurance cover.

“I was about to leave for work at about 6am when I found the car missing from the porch. It was just a few days after installing the alarm system.

“I immediately alerted the GPS service provider and they told me that my car was detected near Bukit Paya at about 5am.

“But the company could not track down the car,’’ he told reporters at the office of Rasah MP Anthony Loke.

Ong said he was told fantastic things about the GPS system when it was sold to him.

“Now I have lost all my money as the car cannot be traced,’’ he said, adding that he could not recoup his losses because the car had no insurance cover.

Loke said he would seek legal advice on the matter.

“We want to assist Ong to see if he can recover some of his losses and if there was an element of negligence involved,” he said.

Loke said the authorities should also act against insurance companies which made it mandatory for car buyers to install additional security features to reduce the risk of the vehicles being stolen.

“Some of them simply refuse to provide coverage just to safeguard themselves,’’ he added.

------------------end quote-------------------------

cbsteh

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

I believe the GPS system he installed is Captor (which charges at RM2,400, the amount mentioned in the article). It is either a fantastic coincidence or an inside job that the victim lost his car just days after he bought it second hand. The latter must not be ruled out as to explain why the GPS company failed to track down the car.

As I understand, the GPS company will only alert the owners when the car alarm sounds (for long periods), battery is disconnected, or the car moves without the proper starting procedure (with keys and immobilizer). Perhaps the car was started because there was a second copy of keys (kept by the insider and not known by the new car owner), and the duplicate keys were used to start and drive off the car. As far as the GPS company is concerned, the car was started properly (by owner or by legitimate persons), so no alert was issued.

This is only my speculation, not a defense of the GPS company. Nonetheless, news like this makes me concern and rubbishes some comments I have received in the past whenever I talk about car security in forums. Two classic comments I received recently:

"If you are worried so much, just sell off your car-loh, and take LRT."
"No need to talk about other car security features. Just install a very expensive car alarm and be 007."

Chris

comtech

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

comtech

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Nov 1 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe the GPS system he installed is Captor (which charges at RM2,400, the amount mentioned in the article). It is either a fantastic coincidence or an inside job that the victim lost his car just days after he bought it second hand. The latter must not be ruled out as to explain why the GPS company failed to track down the car.

Chris

The owner is recommended to install GPS tracker with off engine oil remotely function.

Visit here for GPS tracker with Live tracking and Remotely off Engine Oil: (there are many others useful functions as well on this GPS tracker)

http://comfortsurf.c...s_tracker_TK103

Attached Thumbnails

• GPS_TK103_10.jpg

imjay0509

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

imjay0509

6th Gear

• Members
  • 6 posts
There is new and suggested GPS tracking system in malaysia which is "DEBEZT GPS tracking system smile_thumbup.gif ". The unit price is only RM988, and monthly fee is RM25. It is approved by "SIRIM". Local server in Malaysia.

The functions included:
1. Live tracking vehicles via both Internet and SMS
2. Anti-theft alarms (door opening, engine start, and car moving alerts send by sms or internet)
3. Printable Reports (overspeed report, vehicles status reports, etc.) (can save for 3 months)
4. Engine flameout by internet

Attached Thumbnails

• 168477_171976359511429_168368859872179_339476_997389_n.jpg

alex2942

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:59 PM

alex2942

4th Gear

• Members
  • 4 posts
Best Vehicle Management System with Tracking Features.

Pls visit www.skytrackgps.com

Nothing comes close to the features and pricing. Can dare you to compare any brand with the same pricing......

alex@skytrackgps.com