Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Extreme Ways To Reduce Your Car's Fuel Consumption

• Please log in to reply

vr2turbo

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Nov 1 2010, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the articles. Very informative and useful to me. My comment is about the published FC rates by the car manufacturers. Typically, their published FC rates are inflated because they test their cars on a "thread mill" -- not realistic of actual road conditions. Consequently, I read we are supposed to take two-thirds of the published FC rates as the true FC rate.

Chris

I believe that...inflated..... smile_wink.gif

QUOTE (Tham58 @ Nov 1 2010, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are rushing for time, drive at a constant
When accelerating in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, make sure your
tachometer never exceeds 3,000 rpm, preferably averaging
about 2,500 rpm, so as not to let the second venturi open in
carburetted engines.

Most will say look at your car max torque, and don't drive pass that...... smile_tongue.gif

Along

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

Along

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 963 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Oct 27 2010, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
5} Reduce drag by throwing away your side mirrors. These things poke out too much, causing drag.

Side mirrors are required by law. Better to install a smaller size or more aerodynamic one, and use a panoramic rearview mirror so you can see traffic on both left and right side of your car in addition to the rear.

Along

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

Along

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 963 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Nov 1 2010, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the articles. Very informative and useful to me. My comment is about the published FC rates by the car manufacturers. Typically, their published FC rates are inflated because they test their cars on a "thread mill" -- not realistic of actual road conditions. Consequently, I read we are supposed to take two-thirds of the published FC rates as the true FC rate.

Chris

These manufacturer's figures are not inflated as they can be charged with cheating if they did. But they are "extreme" figures to mislead the public with no/low awareness.

Along

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

Along

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 963 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Nov 1 2010, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So better fill in at full throttle then quickly close the cap. smile_approve.gif

Petrol evaporation during filling only has very minimal / insignificant / unnoticeable effect unless you're filling up a huge petrol tank and during boiling hot weather... so, don't let it delay your filling until you risk running out of petrol.

vr2turbo

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:05 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (Along @ Nov 2 2010, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Petrol evaporation during filling only has very minimal / insignificant / unnoticeable effect unless you're filling up a huge petrol tank and during boiling hot weather... so, don't let it delay your filling until you risk running out of petrol.

In Middle East, you work for oil company? smile_tongue.gif

SplitFire

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Nov 2 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Middle East, you work for oil company? smile_tongue.gif

Unker Along always fly both side one..... smile_big.gif Really wanna meet him up one day. Experience wise man like unker vr like that.
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

cbsteh

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
QUOTE (Along @ Nov 2 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These manufacturer's figures are not inflated as they can be charged with cheating if they did. But they are "extreme" figures to mislead the public with no/low awareness.

No, I used to word "inflate" to mean "overestimated" because the FC of cars are tested in non-representative of actual road conditions. No intention to mean cheating.

Chris

tofu

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

tofu

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
to add:

1. use narrow tires and bump up the psi to reduce drag, easier to spin hehe
2. get a vacuum gauge so u can find the optimum throttle position where u can maintain the car cruising speed, with minimal stress to the engine, and this trains the right foot to be feather-light

anticipation like the TS sed, plays a big role as well...sometimes when the traffic light about 50m - 100m ahead is red, i slow the car down quite a fair bit (assuming no one speeding behind u), in the hope that the light turns green b4 my car stops

same thing applies at roundabouts too...no point speeding to the roundabout when u see from far that there are fellers on the roundabout reaching the area in front of u at the same time....so the best step is to slow down when u see people on the roundabout coming, then speed to exit right behind them...so car dusnt waste fuel stopping/accelerating

vr2turbo

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Nov 3 2010, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unker Along always fly both side one..... smile_big.gif Really wanna meet him up one day. Experience wise man like unker vr like that.

Wah! Experience wise man.....TQ, TQ, next round you visit, Hokkien mee on me again..... smile_big.gif
Yah, hope bro. Along can spare some time to meet up....... smile_thumbup.gif

jacksonljs

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

jacksonljs

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 27 2010, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But you are asking them not to use air con. Will they? Purposely buy 7 seater, you ask them to remove 2 seats? smile_blackeye.gif take out side mirror and drive dangerously(they are there for a reason), change auto to manual(they bought auto for convenience, so looks like most of your suggestion won't work.... smile_big.gif

Right smile_thumbup.gif Most of them doesn't work in real world.

1) Not to use air cond - Unless you are working and staying at Genting Highlands Resort where air cond are rarely needed, with our country's hot and humid climate esp. afternoon, air cond are still necessary. But, try not to set your air cond at maximum cooling level, instead adjust the air cond temp. according to the weather to reduce frequency of compressor kick-in and to preserve the lifespan of it's components (such as dryer, receiver, and compressor). And fan speed is set at 1 (low) or 2 (medium) depends on weather and cabin temperature.

2) Purposely buy 7 seater and remove 2 seats - For large families (>5 family members), a 7 seater mid-size MPV/SUV is usually used as their main family car rather than cramp in all together in a sedan/hatchback and cause hazard to others. So it's pointless for someone to buy 7 seater and remove 3rd row seats (like that buy Alza better as it's more towards 5+2, not fully 7 seater)

3) Take out side mirror - Totally unacceptable as it is required by law (the absence of either one or both side mirror can net you a ticket, this is true because even motorcyclist can get summoned by police due to absence of either one or both side mirror) and the usage of the side mirrors is to lookout for other vehicles at your side and also check for blindspot. But for some driver/riders, side mirrors are just an ornament as they like to change lane as they like (no need to look behind), including without signal or precisely signalling for 1 miliseconds then change lane straight away. Maybe when lorries/busses rammed their vehicle while switching lane, then they will realize the importance of side mirrors (esp. motorcyclists, only if they still alive).

4) Change auto to manual - Although FC for auto is a bit higher than their manual siblings (not applied to our 'Buatan Malaysia' cars), there must have a reason why people bought auto car. With all those slow moving vehicles and traffic jams especially at downtown areas, auto is more preferable as it gives more relaxed/smoother driving plus no need to cramp their left leg. Also some of their family members can't or no confidence driving manual cars, hence auto is easier choice for them even if he/she likes to drive manual especially if more than one family members share a car. However change auto to manual is only applicable if you drive Iswara/Wira 1.5 with archaic 3-speeder auto gearbox. IMO, whatever you will go for manual or auto car is the personal (or maybe family) choice.