1) during test drive, once the operating temperature reach, you must full throttle, doesn't matter in 1st ,2nd or 3 rd gear.
- see if any warning light illuminate. If the light illuminate every time you push, then find other car.
- the surge of power must be continuous. any jerk could means some problem on diesel filter or turbo or injector.
- how hard you push the gearchange must be smooth. shouldn't hear any gear change or cracking sound.
- and when you brake shouldn't have any vibration.
2) get to know all the button and function. make sure you test everything - autolight,autowiper,rear aircond button,headlight adjustment,side mirror adjustment, sunroof, memory electric chair, chair heater,2wd and 4wd and so on.( can read from the list written by bro r3xt0n)
3) if possible bring the car to mechanic to check if any leakage from under the car, open the engine cover to see if any leakage too.
4) i'm not sure where you stay, kindly pm any bro here to assist you for test drive.happy hunting.