Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Need Suggestion/advice On Liquid Waxes

• Please log in to reply

zhongy85

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

zhongy85

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
Hi guys,

Need some advice.

I currently have Turtle Wax ICE Paste Wax. It's a great product I would say -- it works on all surfaces (almost) and does not leave white residue behind. The problem is that it's a paste wax, meaning it would require plenty of time to apply, wait and buff off.

I (still) do not have a machine so I gotta do everything manually. I'm looking for liquid type wax to help me to speed things up a lil. I usually only got about 2-3 hours in the morning on a weekend before the sun comes out and make it unsuitable to work on the car. Plus, I am too lazy to get up so early in the morning to be honest tongue.gif

I've got a Soft99 Meta Clean Wax and I'm looking for a wax that is similar -- easy to apply and remove. The Soft99 is not too bad really, though I've read in various forums that it is not exactly clear coat friendly. But I'm a newbie, the Soft99 is cheap and it works great, so I wouldn't mind for now. I found a pretty good review of the product in a blog. I believe the blog owner is in this forum as well: Wet Shine Detailing

I'm using the Soft99 primarily to clean the paint & need something else to provide the protection as I believe Soft99 wax is crap in that sense. FYI, my car is parked in an open area most of the time, so I need a wax that provides me some kick ass protection. I've got a budget of about RM 50-60.

On a separate note, does branded applicator pads really make a difference? What's the difference between a Merguair's applicator pad and a cheapo Mr.Clean's one? Is it worth the investment?

Thanks guys for any suggestion. Cheers.

ey11684

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

ey11684

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
QUOTE (zhongy85 @ Oct 5 2010, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,

Need some advice.

I currently have Turtle Wax ICE Paste Wax. It's a great product I would say -- it works on all surfaces (almost) and does not leave white residue behind. The problem is that it's a paste wax, meaning it would require plenty of time to apply, wait and buff off.

I (still) do not have a machine so I gotta do everything manually. I'm looking for liquid type wax to help me to speed things up a lil. I usually only got about 2-3 hours in the morning on a weekend before the sun comes out and make it unsuitable to work on the car. Plus, I am too lazy to get up so early in the morning to be honest tongue.gif

I've got a Soft99 Meta Clean Wax and I'm looking for a wax that is similar -- easy to apply and remove. The Soft99 is not too bad really, though I've read in various forums that it is not exactly clear coat friendly. But I'm a newbie, the Soft99 is cheap and it works great, so I wouldn't mind for now. I found a pretty good review of the product in a blog. I believe the blog owner is in this forum as well: Wet Shine Detailing

I'm using the Soft99 primarily to clean the paint & need something else to provide the protection as I believe Soft99 wax is crap in that sense. FYI, my car is parked in an open area most of the time, so I need a wax that provides me some kick ass protection. I've got a budget of about RM 50-60.

On a separate note, does branded applicator pads really make a difference? What's the difference between a Merguair's applicator pad and a cheapo Mr.Clean's one? Is it worth the investment?

Why not try out DG105 or DG Track Claw? Good liquid waxes with good results.

On the applicator, I personally feel the Meg's applicator is a lot more solid, gentle and lasting compared to the really cheap ones. They stay in one piece longer and don't start fraying and falling apart after one or two uses.
Alvin

KrisMas

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

If you're just looking for easy and time saving protection after using the Meta Clean, there are a few WOWO/WOWA (Wipe On Wipe Off/Wipe On Walk Away) products available for just around what you budgeted (well...maybe you'd need to add a little more). Search for Optimum Car Wax or Optimum Opti Seal or Duragloss Enviroshield (although it's not really a Duragloss product smile_clown.gif )

Yup, they're definitely different. I found that the Meg's pad are finer and softer than the ones from TW - i.e. the TW is coarser and more aggressive so it *might* marr the paint if not used properly. Don't know about Mr Clean but, normally, cheap doesn't equal to good quality.

zhongy85

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

zhongy85

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
QUOTE (ey11684 @ Oct 5 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On the applicator, I personally feel the Meg's applicator is a lot more solid, gentle and lasting compared to the really cheap ones. They stay in one piece longer and don't start fraying and falling apart after one or two uses.

Ah, Duragloss! I can get it from a forumer here I believe. Suddenly can't recall the name :S I heard of 105 but not Track Claw though.

QUOTE (KrisMas @ Oct 5 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're just looking for easy and time saving protection after using the Meta Clean, there are a few WOWO/WOWA (Wipe On Wipe Off/Wipe On Walk Away) products available for just around what you budgeted (well...maybe you'd need to add a little more). Search for Optimum Car Wax or Optimum Opti Seal or Duragloss Enviroshield (although it's not really a Duragloss product smile_clown.gif )

Are these spray waxes? I feel a bit reserved buying spray waxes because they don't look very economical to me. Looks like it can only last up to 2 applications :S Where can I get Optimum products? One of the local detailing blogs I visit always feature Optimum products but I've never seen it anywhere in the market.

QUOTE (KrisMas @ Oct 5 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, they're definitely different. I found that the Meg's pad are finer and softer than the ones from TW - i.e. the TW is coarser and more aggressive so it *might* marr the paint if not used properly. Don't know about Mr Clean but, normally, cheap doesn't equal to good quality.

I think this is one of very few items where Meg's is actually cheaper than other brands. Will try wink.gif I'm using a Mr.Clean one and have never tried other brands. That is why not sure if they are really different.

KrisMas

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
QUOTE (zhongy85 @ Oct 5 2010, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, Duragloss! I can get it from a forumer here I believe. Suddenly can't recall the name :S I heard of 105 but not Track Claw though.

The members nick is mubull and his site is duragloss.com.my

Are these spray waxes? I feel a bit reserved buying spray waxes because they don't look very economical to me. Looks like it can only last up to 2 applications :S Where can I get Optimum products? One of the local detailing blogs I visit always feature Optimum products but I've never seen it anywhere in the market.

Yes, these are spray waxes as oppose to spray topper or quick detailer that you *might* be referring to. They are sealant/waxes in very liquid form (sprayable) as compared to the liquid form (apply with pad, let haze and buff off). If you use it up after 2 applications then you're definitely using wayyyyy too much. It took me quite a few months (maybe 5 ~ 6 months) to finish my 17oz/504ml bottle of OCW (Optimum Car Wax) and I'm using it *almost* everytime after my weekly wash (which you really don't need to).

As far as I know there are 2 local on-line retailers that sells them and since they are not affiliated to this forum, I'll PM you.

I think this is one of very few items where Meg's is actually cheaper than other brands. Will try wink.gif I'm using a Mr.Clean one and have never tried other brands. That is why not sure if they are really different.

There's another alternative....look for OSREN/Lake Country CCS foam applicator pads.

vr2turbo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:13 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (ey11684 @ Oct 5 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The DG105 sealant is easy to use and protects well.....Don't have TC, actually don't want to keep too many type..... smile_wink.gif

msk

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

msk

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 5 2010, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The DG105 sealant is easy to use and protects well.....Don't have TC, actually don't want to keep too many type..... smile_wink.gif

Tried both: DG105 is more durable while Trackclaw's look is slicker.. Usually I will boost TC with PBA 601 to make it last longer.

Liquid wax may or may not save you more time as noted as still need to apply and then remove. Meguiars equivalent would be NXT 2.0 Tech wax for sealant while Gold Class for carnauba but overpriced locally.

Bro KrisMas suggestion is valid as you can add SprayWax into your arsenal to save time but your car still needs to be clean after car wash .. some eg. Duragloss 951 Aquawax, Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax, Optimum Car Wax. etc..

If just minor dust or bird/tree droppings can spot clean with Quick detailers.. Duragloss 521 Detail Spray, Meg UQD, ONR 1:16
Cheers

vr2turbo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (msk @ Oct 5 2010, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tried both: DG105 is more durable while Trackclaw's look is slicker.. Usually I will boost TC with PBA 601 to make it last longer.

Liquid wax may or may not save you more time as noted as still need to apply and then remove. Meguiars equivalent would be NXT 2.0 Tech wax for sealant while Gold Class for carnauba but overpriced locally.

Bro KrisMas suggestion is valid as you can add SprayWax into your arsenal to save time but your car still needs to be clean after car wash .. some eg. Duragloss 951 Aquawax, Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax, Optimum Car Wax. etc..

If just minor dust or bird/tree droppings can spot clean with Quick detailers.. Duragloss 521 Detail Spray, Meg UQD, ONR 1:16
Cheers

You also have quite an Arsenal of products...... smile_tongue.gif

ey11684

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

ey11684

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
Spray waxes are good toppers, but I believe any brand of spray wax will tell you that the spray wax should not replace a regime of normal waxing. Spray wax can save time in that it takes much less effort to spread a thin even layer on the car, they generally have a much shorter curing time, and they are usually much easier to buff off.
Alvin

vr2turbo

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
For TS, I would suggest both the sealant and topper.
Give the car a good polish, then apply sealant, following week after wash use topper
If sealant can be applied monthly, then 3 weeks with topper and so on...... smile_thumbup.gif