Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Headlight Restorer

• Please log in to reply

khskeet

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

khskeet

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
bro any brand to recommend to do this job??????

KrisMas

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
There's #755 Nu-glass Polish from Duragloss, PlasX from Meguiars, Plastic Polish from Mothers, etc. I've only tried PlasX and it's quite effective on mildly oxidised plastics. I use it with a foam applicator pad.

There's also a traditional product which was used in the 'old days' when polishes specifically made for plastics are difficult to find (and not to mention expensive).......toothpaste.

Regards.

spirit36

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

spirit36

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
QUOTE (KrisMas @ Oct 3 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not terribly comfortable with how that guy is doing it.

1. He did not tape the surroundings. If you look carefully when he's sanding, the sandpaper touches the bumper. Chances are, there would be sanding marks there too.

2. You should avoid sanding using the tip of your fingers. That *could* cause uneven deep/shallow sanding marks.

I think this is is better way:

Headlight Restoration - Wetsanding and Polishing

As you can see from both videos, they're removing the sanding marks with a machine and still spent some time restoring them. I've also done a couple of those and, also using a machine, and it took me around 15 mins to restore one side.

So, if you do have a machine in hand, you can try it. But if you don't have a machine and don't have a clue on what polish/compound you're suppose to use, then I'd suggest you send yours to a professional to do it. You can still DIY but make sure you do your research and homework so that you'd confident of doing it. And may I stress, the SANDING part is easy, it's the REMOVAL of the sanding marks that you should concentrate on.

Btw, those headlight restoration kit selling at the shops, I personally had never tried any of them so I don't have any clue whether they're good or not. If you, by any chance, tried them on yours, please do post your findings here so that others (me included) may know whether they are truly worth to get.

Personally, without knowing the extent of the damage on the headlight, I would go the Plastic Polish route before resorting to sanding.

Best of regards.

well said Sifu...always helpful.. smile_thumbup.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
There are also off the rack products, but not sure how strong the chemicals are??
If in doubt, then go brands like MG and Duragloss will be safer..... smile_tongue.gif

khskeet

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:21 AM

khskeet

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
Where can I buy Mg or duragloss???

vr2turbo

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:49 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (khskeet @ Oct 12 2010, 04:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where can I buy Mg or duragloss???

For MG,
Ace Hardware have them. Homefix, Hypercoat and some Parkson outlets too, if not mistaken.

For DG,
www.duragloss.com.my for online purchase or contact bro. mubull

DG Outlets if you are nearby:-
FAH LIAN HERBS & FOOD SDN. BHD
16, Jalan Hujan Rahmat 2,
Taman Overseas Union,
58200, Kuala Lumpur,
Wilayah Persekutuan
Tel:03-77816786/0377831680
Fax:03-77831679

PASARAYA MEGAHERBS & FOOD SDN. BHD.
Lot 10991, Jalan SS24/28,
Taman Megah,
Petaling Jaya, 47301,
Selangor D.E.
Tel:037806 4992 037806 4992
Fax:03-78065992

hsx

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

hsx

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
I just had my 8yr old Estima headlamp recoated. Several years ago, one of the accesories shop did a rebuffing and apply a so call glass wax (not sure what is the brand or type) and it does looks clear, but only last for about 6 months where is started to fade. Eventually its gets worse unless I home fix it with normal wax which hardly lasted a month.

It has becomes quite yellowish until the whole car appears old, went over to a friend spray paint shop where he recommended me a type of glass lacquer that it spray coated on the headlamp surface. Was told it can fixed most of the yellowish plastic if the damage surface from outer surface. Didn't witness how they did it as I leave my car overnight at the shop but it does looks very good and new. Understand that this was a fairly new product that the shop often use it on Merc nowadays and will last for several years.

I have to see how long it will last this time, but pretty confidence it will stays for a while.

hsx

vr2turbo

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (hsx @ Oct 12 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just had my 8yr old Estima headlamp recoated. Several years ago, one of the accesories shop did a rebuffing and apply a so call glass wax (not sure what is the brand or type) and it does looks clear, but only last for about 6 months where is started to fade. Eventually its gets worse unless I home fix it with normal wax which hardly lasted a month.

It has becomes quite yellowish until the whole car appears old, went over to a friend spray paint shop where he recommended me a type of glass lacquer that it spray coated on the headlamp surface. Was told it can fixed most of the yellowish plastic if the damage surface from outer surface. Didn't witness how they did it as I leave my car overnight at the shop but it does looks very good and new. Understand that this was a fairly new product that the shop often use it on Merc nowadays and will last for several years.

I have to see how long it will last this time, but pretty confidence it will stays for a while.

Just hope that they did not just do a polish and wax job as before.
With the coating, what happen if the plastic underneath still turns yellow?? smile_shock.gif

gzoxmsia

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

gzoxmsia

Advanced

• Advertiser
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
If you plan to skip the whole DIY route and get professional results without the hassle...visit us at G'ZOX Techno Centre in Bandar Sunway. We look forward to helping you restore the clarity of your headlights and making night driving safer for you.

KrisMas

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
Ahhh....the pain of a hardcore DIYer....still looking for the spray-on paint/coating that would finish clear on plastics and can withstand the heat from the headlamps....and the search goes on.