Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Headlight Restorer

• Please log in to reply

fairways

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

fairways

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
Hi why not try the chemical matter.When ageing plastic headlamps loses the protective coating
oxidization turns plastic lens yellow & cloudy reducing brightness and looking ugly

This headlamp cleaner & restorer liquid deoxidize the plastic lens and applies
a protective coating in 1 step taking less then a minute.

* Watch video on YouTube by searching
( Headlamp Cleaner SSW ) or

Pretty cheap and good for 10 pairs of headlamps.

look under CAR CARE PRODUCTS for the ad

yongy

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

yongy

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
Just to share...

I sent my Altis to my mechanic to fix the air-cond and he asked his staff to polish the plastic headlight cover with Abro Headlight Restoration Polish and now it looks almost like brand new. All the staff did was to use a cloth and apply the product onto the cloth and polish with hand and buff off.

I actually saw his staff applying the same to another customer's car earlier on which have a more severe haze problem compare to my car. So, my mechanic was being kind to share his knowledge to me.

Has anyone also tried this product? Do share with us the results and the durability. As for me, I'll will keep an eye on my headlight to see how it goes few months down the road... P/S: Sorry, no photo to share...

eohl79

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (yongy @ Apr 28 2012, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to share...

I sent my Altis to my mechanic to fix the air-cond and he asked his staff to polish the plastic headlight cover with Abro Headlight Restoration Polish and now it looks almost like brand new. All the staff did was to use a cloth and apply the product onto the cloth and polish with hand and buff off.

I actually saw his staff applying the same to another customer's car earlier on which have a more severe haze problem compare to my car. So, my mechanic was being kind to share his knowledge to me.

Has anyone also tried this product? Do share with us the results and the durability. As for me, I'll will keep an eye on my headlight to see how it goes few months down the road... P/S: Sorry, no photo to share...

There are two types of headlight restoration kit out there. Chemical or abrasive surface cleaner. Most of them only address the yellowing and hazing problem which most people have problem with. So most would work. Only thing is the sealant that they put on top the surface does not last long. Maybe lasts a few weeks or so. If you want something longer lasting which you can do on your own try Soft99 Light One. About RM40. Can get from Jusco, Eneos, etc. It uses a hard coating instead of a sealant for the headlight and can last couple of months least.

Surface defects like pitting and clear coat peeling you would need to sand it down to level the defects. So it all depends on what you want to get corrected.

2420l

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

2420l

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 631 posts
QUOTE (yongy @ Apr 28 2012, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to share...

it works but may leave some swirls there if they use cloth only smile_tongue.gif

2420l

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

2420l

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 631 posts
QUOTE (eohl79 @ Apr 28 2012, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are two types of headlight restoration kit out there. Chemical or abrasive surface cleaner. Most of them only address the yellowing and hazing problem which most people have problem with. So most would work. Only thing is the sealant that they put on top the surface does not last long. Maybe lasts a few weeks or so. If you want something longer lasting which you can do on your own try Soft99 Light One. About RM40. Can get from Jusco, Eneos, etc. It uses a hard coating instead of a sealant for the headlight and can last couple of months least.

Surface defects like pitting and clear coat peeling you would need to sand it down to level the defects. So it all depends on what you want to get corrected.

u try the soft99 light one dy??how 2 apply???

eohl79

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (2420l @ Apr 29 2012, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
u try the soft99 light one dy??how 2 apply???

Not yet. Actually I don't bother too much on most kits for the correction part as am looking more on protection instead. It is not difficult to correct the headlights of hazing/yellowing. Deeper defect removal is the tricky one where you would need to sand down the existing protective layer of the headlamps. Some plastic headlamps have a soft coating where else some may have a hard coating. So need to be careful and try the least aggressive method first. But then the problem comes, you need a proper coat to protect the headlamps after removing the thicker original coating. Most paint coatings out there (opti coat, etc) is no where as thick and stronger than the original coating but certainly offers the UV and oxidizing protection such that it reduces the yellowing/hazing effect. I don't know what to say about people sanding the headlamps down to almost perfection and then putting on a thin glass/ceramic coat such as opti coat. There isn't much mechanical protection left. So if you are not going to get the headlamp surface properly clear coated, I would rather not sand down the existing clear coat off. As far as I see OTC kits in the market, Soft99 Light One offers a coating (not sure how hard/durability) instead of most kits which just uses a sealant. Need to check Autobacs if they some better OTC kit smile_evil.gif

BTW, my previous posting on this thread where I restored the Saga headlamps (did not sand down to perfection but got the hazing off), it is still going very strong today with just an opti coat 2.0 protection. Much better and durable than me using PlastX previously. No hazing/yellowing after 3 months but not accounting for all the additional pits/scratches and stone chips. Car seldom washed and never put LSP on headlamps at all. I know some people would say I did a half ass job there as pits/scratch defects are still there but then again I did not want to remove the original coating layer off and recoat it again (spray paint clear coat or put on one of those special epoxy coat for headlights) as it would cost more. Could have just bought a new set instead and put OC2. smile_big.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,463 posts
QUOTE (2420l @ Apr 29 2012, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it works but may leave some swirls there if they use cloth only smile_tongue.gif

Even if have swirls, better then the yellow dull looking headlamps, right?

Aiyah! today was in P. Klang, forgot to visit Autobacs.
Bro. eohl, where about? This Saturday may have to go to Klang again....