Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Toyota Corolla Altis Facelift Launched

• Please log in to reply

swinee

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (ralf @ Oct 11 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I notice the engine doesn't strain much in order to move the car.

At 60kmh, engine revv just tick over at 1krpm..it's 1050rpm, 70km/h @ 1200rpm, 80kmh @ 1400rpm, 100kmh @ 1800rpm. Much more better than previous 4 speeder..

it is the characteristic of cvt, keeping low rev all the time, alternate by the cvt chain varied from the vehicle speed..
do post up the FC and feedback here smile_blush.gif
enjoy ur new ride

vios2000

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

At 60kmh, engine revv just tick over at 1krpm..it's 1050rpm, 70km/h @ 1200rpm, 80kmh @ 1400rpm, 100kmh @ 1800rpm. Much more better than previous 4 speeder..

Tested the 2.0V . Like the power feeback but not really the Toyota way of i-CVT. I still prefer Slyphy CVT that smooth as silk !

swinee

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (vios2000 @ Oct 11 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tested the 2.0V . Like the power feeback but not really the Toyota way of i-CVT. I still prefer Slyphy CVT that smooth as silk !

not everyone like the feeling of CVT,i'm one of those..
instead there are many outthere who actually prefer the conventional way of AT instead of CVT..
they label CVT as like playing PS3, just press a button and go, totally lack of feedback and feeling, that kills off the driving pleasure smile_tongue.gif

as for the toyota S-CVTi, it is tuned more to conventional way of AT feel, so you can feel some engine braking..this is the way Multitronic tune also in order to gain more "feeling"..and not like the XCVT or previous honda CVT feel which is dead smile_blush.gif

jayraptor

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Hi ralf,

You don't feel straining much because of the new engines that replaced old Altis generation engines. The new engines have better torque (pulling power) and also dual VVTi meant for pulling current C-segment cars. The new gearbox helps lower the RPM for cruising as well.

Hi swinee,

The only thing I hate about CVT gearbox is the expensive ATF and labour cost. Other than that, it operates at higher heat than conventional gearbox that is still more mechanical.

The number of visitors to Toyota showrooms seems less than back then. Probably most still think that the Altis is just minor facelift rather than entirely new engines and gearbox.

scenic

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (vios2000 @ Oct 11 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toyota's automatic gearbox is the most reliable in the world. That includes i-CVT as well. Toyota will not launch something that's not been proven reliable. I only trust Toyota GB. smile_thumbup.gif 37 million and still counting. Cheers.
director's choice

alvinkyen

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

alvinkyen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Oct 11 2010, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi ralf,

You don't feel straining much because of the new engines that replaced old Altis generation engines. The new engines have better torque (pulling power) and also dual VVTi meant for pulling current C-segment cars. The new gearbox helps lower the RPM for cruising as well.

Hi swinee,

The only thing I hate about CVT gearbox is the expensive ATF and labour cost. Other than that, it operates at higher heat than conventional gearbox that is still more mechanical.

The number of visitors to Toyota showrooms seems less than back then. Probably most still think that the Altis is just minor facelift rather than entirely new engines and gearbox.

Do you know what's the cost of the ATF? I tried asking from the Toyota SA but none was answered. Does it require special/unique ATF?

jayraptor

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (alvinkyen @ Oct 12 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you know what's the cost of the ATF? I tried asking from the Toyota SA but none was answered. Does it require special/unique ATF?

Hi Alvin,
ATF flui in that bottle for CVT range about RM400 +/-. Labour charge ranges from RM200-300 with given excuse saying that higher level technical skill required so they charge expensive for changing the fluid for you. They'll say if Ah Chong or Ah Meng workshop outside change it will cause gearbox damage.

Hi scenic,

Yes, in 2007/08 Toyota tried this CVT gearbox in richer nations with high buying power first and proven can withstand hot temperature everyday before selling to other nations. Some not so rich nations get conventional 5-speed auto mated to new engine. Whereas Asians get old Altis engine with old gearbox in 2008. Why can't they just give us the new enghine with dual VVTi mated to 5-speed conventional gearbox that time? Maybe too many old Altis engines largely available or Asians are easier to cheat?

tr0llb41t

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

tr0llb41t

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Oct 12 2010, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Toyota's automatic gearbox is the most reliable in the world. That includes i-CVT as well. Toyota will not launch something that's not been proven reliable. I only trust Toyota GB. smile_thumbup.gif 37 million and still counting. Cheers.

haha tell that to the Americans that are suing Toyota. They'll be very... 'amused' with your faith in the big T.

alvinkyen

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

alvinkyen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
QUOTE (tr0llb41t @ Oct 13 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
haha tell that to the Americans that are suing Toyota. They'll be very... 'amused' with your faith in the big T.

americans sue everything under the sun la bro smile.gif

QUOTE (jayraptor @ Oct 13 2010, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Alvin,
ATF flui in that bottle for CVT range about RM400 +/-. Labour charge ranges from RM200-300 with given excuse saying that higher level technical skill required so they charge expensive for changing the fluid for you. They'll say if Ah Chong or Ah Meng workshop outside change it will cause gearbox damage.

Hi scenic,

Yes, in 2007/08 Toyota tried this CVT gearbox in richer nations with high buying power first and proven can withstand hot temperature everyday before selling to other nations. Some not so rich nations get conventional 5-speed auto mated to new engine. Whereas Asians get old Altis engine with old gearbox in 2008. Why can't they just give us the new enghine with dual VVTi mated to 5-speed conventional gearbox that time? Maybe too many old Altis engines largely available or Asians are easier to cheat?

Many thanks for the info. Hahah.. they hv to la, else SC how to cari makan!

khlee23

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

khlee23

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
QUOTE (alvinkyen @ Oct 12 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you asked the owner of 1st gen City that came with CVT gearbox, they will tell you the importance of using ONLY the recommended original ATF oil. If not mistaken, many City owner experienced gearbox failure due to the different ATF been used by SC then. I used to owned the 2nd gen City. By then, the SC already learned their lesson and started to use the ATF meant for CVT gearbox. I guess this could be one of the reason Honda stop using CVT gearbox with their new City.

You will only noticed the CVT gearbox changed gear from the RPM changes. It is silky smooth. But that was City CVT implementation. Nowadays even new Estima is with CVT gearbox. Audi A4, Mercedes C-Class. So it is a mature gearbox technology, use worldwide.

Life is short. Seize the day!