Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Fully Synthetic Or Non Synthetic Engine Oil

• Please log in to reply

henrykl

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

henrykl

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
hi...anyone? i have a question about fully synthetic or non synthetic engine oil to ask for my kelisa auto.
i always change my engine oil using non synthetic engine oil ( 10W-30 ).
the technician recommended me to use a fully synthetic ( 5W - 30 ) engine oil.

I just need to confirm with yours all, because i scare they just want to earn money,then recommended me use more expensive engine oil.

1) Is that fully synthetic engine oil can last longer till 10,000 km or 6months for service? (normally is 5,000 km or 3months)
2) Is that good for engine and will get more powerful for our engine?

thanks for your all sifu ! thanks thanks thanks smile_tongue.gif

goohtj

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

goohtj

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
full sync sure is better than semi.. but double price does not mean double milage..
in term of oil change 5000km to 10000km. a lot of people does it also.but if u read thru the forum, lots of arguement on this.
for my opinion, if u travel highway alot, your oil is cleaner than city drive. use full s/10000km. but if city drive/ start/stop/start alot, oil is much dirty , mineral/semi will do,
my case. I city alot, after 5000km, the oil become dark n thicker n engine sound rougher.

anyway, best u can experiment yourself, put fs n monitor the engine performance.
check engine noise n oil condition-- new oil/5000km/7000km/10000km

all this depends on .. driving style, engine n self requirement..

henrykl

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

henrykl

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Thanks sifu ! smile_thumbup.gif

YSW

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

YSW

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts
QUOTE (henrykl @ Sep 11 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi...anyone? i have a question about fully synthetic or non synthetic engine oil to ask for my kelisa auto.
i always change my engine oil using non synthetic engine oil ( 10W-30 ).
the technician recommended me to use a fully synthetic ( 5W - 30 ) engine oil.

I just need to confirm with yours all, because i scare they just want to earn money,then recommended me use more expensive engine oil.

1) Is that fully synthetic engine oil can last longer till 10,000 km or 6months for service? (normally is 5,000 km or 3months)
2) Is that good for engine and will get more powerful for our engine?

thanks for your all sifu ! thanks thanks thanks smile_tongue.gif

May I know which brand of full synthetic 5W 30 your technician recommended?

Tourist

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (henrykl @ Sep 11 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No such thing. They are just trying to cheat more money out of you. While FS can make the car feel lighter and slightly better fuel consumption, extended oil change interval is not possible.

Here's a quote from Volvo:
"Synthetic oils do not allow further extension of oil drain intervals. It is the contamination rate, i.e., soot, and the depletion of additives, rather than base oil quality that determines the useful engine oil life and therefore the oil change intervals."

http://www.volvo.com...omponentsVT.pdf

Now go tell that mechanic to go to hell for telling you lies.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

vios2000

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Sep 14 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No such thing. They are just trying to cheat more money out of you. While FS can make the car feel lighter and slightly better fuel consumption, extended oil change interval is not possible.

Here's a quote from Volvo:
"Synthetic oils do not allow further extension of oil drain intervals. It is the contamination rate, i.e., soot, and the depletion of additives, rather than base oil quality that determines the useful engine oil life and therefore the oil change intervals."

http://www.volvo.com...omponentsVT.pdf

Now go tell that mechanic to go to hell for telling you lies.

smile_thumbup.gif

stinger82

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:01 AM

stinger82

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
they lied. my regular mechanic also lied to me, telling me the shitty NASA lub is better, and can tahan 10000 km, and 7000km already like kopi O. the normal petronas oil can go until 8000 km and looks fresh.

Btw, perodua now is using the new lub with Golden color ( not the old Silver color). The golden color lub comes with a 10000 kmservice interval, just did a service there, confirmed by SA, front desk and mechanic.

Tourist

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (stinger82 @ Sep 25 2010, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Btw, perodua now is using the new lub with Golden color ( not the old Silver color). The golden color lub comes with a 10000 kmservice interval, just did a service there, confirmed by SA, front desk and mechanic.

Talk is cheap. Best ask them to confirm what they said in writing and if they can do that, very good. If not, ask them to go to hell.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

aspire

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:10 AM

aspire

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts
QUOTE (stinger82 @ Sep 25 2010, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they lied. my regular mechanic also lied to me, telling me the shitty NASA lub is better, and can tahan 10000 km, and 7000km already like kopi O. the normal petronas oil can go until 8000 km and looks fresh.

The "gold" engine oil from Perodua is the new API SM standard engine oil. The "silver" one is API SL.

But please do not extend the service interval to 10,000km for Kelisa. The extended interval is meant for Viva and MyVI. Even for Viva and MyVI they can service their car with 10,000km interval using the "silver" engine oil. It is in their book. However, API SM rated engine oil will ensure better cleaning and performance at extended service.

The truth is, interval service is fixed. If it is designed for 5,000km interval oil change, no matter what engine oil you use, you should service at 5,000km. If the engine is designed for 10,000km interval oil change, you can use mineral oil for the whole 10,000km. What better oil buys you is, prolonged performance throughout the interval, be it cleaning performance, power, fuel savings, "smoother" engine sounds, etc.

limking

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

limking

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts
I would suggest that you should use back the same type of oil you're using all these while . Your car ain't giving you any problem ,so why the fuse ? If you change the velocity / fictions will be affected too since you'll be using diffence specifations . My two cents worth . smile_cool.gif
PATIENCE !!! PATIENCE !!! PATIENCE !!! IT'LL GET YOU THE BEST WHEN TIME IS RIGHT AND SO WILL BE THE PRICE