Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Gear Not Shifting Smoothly In Auto Transmission In Proton Wira

• Please log in to reply

saleemskma

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

saleemskma

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
Dear All,

I drive 14-year-old (1996 model) 1.3GL auto transmission proton wira for the past 1 year. I mean, I bought the car last year as second hand car. At the time of buying, the transmission was smooth. After 6 months, When I drive, the gear shift was not smooth as before. Especially, when I turned right and pressed the accelerator, the rpm increased to 3-4k with heavy engine sound for few seconds, then suddenly with a jerk, the engine sound and rpm got reduced and speedometer showed increase of speed. The car moved suddenly as if someone had kicked it from the back. I checked with mechanic and he changed the auto transmission oil and engine oil. After that also, the problem appeared on and off.

Two weeks before, I drove 20km to my office in the morning. When near to office, the car was not accelerating to second or third gear. Rpm and engine sound increasing but speed not changing above 20km. And the car came to a halt after driving for 500 meters. I could start the engine again but the car was running in the same condition. I drove the car slowly to a nearby mechanic and the mechanic told to change the gearbox with recon one. I agreed and it was RM 1250.

After the gear box change, for the few days, the transmission was smooth. Now again, it is giving the same problem. When moving from 20km to 30 km, and at 40km speeds, the car moves suddenly as if someone kicked it from the back for a while and after wards continue to accelerate.

Today, I checked the auto transmission fluid dipstick after idling the engine for 20 minutes. The dipstick contains oil with lot of air bubbles.

I am just worried about the recent gear box change. Am I cheated by the mechanic? This is my first car and I don't know much about car and its working mechanism.

What could be the exact reason for this problem? Any recommendation for good workshop to rectify this problem. I stay in Taman connaught, Cheras, KL. I appreciate any advice from members.

Thanks a lot for reading my problem patiently.

rallychamp

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:28 AM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
u change to recon one????
how about warranty on that gb???

normally they give a week warranty...(for halfcut gb maybe longer or maybe same duration for warranty)

-thats the risk u have to play when dealing with recon/halfcut parts....and since it was cheaper....u need luck also to get a reliable GB...

i suggest u to go at the place where u change the gearbox and claim for another gb..(labour and oil maybe u need to pay again)

that was the only worthy solution i guess....

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

vr2turbo

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ Aug 22 2010, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
u change to recon one????
how about warranty on that gb???

normally they give a week warranty...(for halfcut gb maybe longer or maybe same duration for warranty)

-thats the risk u have to play when dealing with recon/halfcut parts....and since it was cheaper....u need luck also to get a reliable GB...

i suggest u to go at the place where u change the gearbox and claim for another gb..(labour and oil maybe u need to pay again)

that was the only worthy solution i guess....

Yup, since the gear box have been changed go back to the mechanic who did it and get it rectified.....
Moreover I will transfer this topic to Auto Maintenance rather then leave it in Petrol, Oil and Additives Thread

elton

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

elton

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
Hey mate,

Sorry to hear about the sht that you been through. Your previous transmission was slipping, and your current transmission's shifting isn't smooth. Seems like the valve body inside the tranny is giving problem this time.

The slippage was due to wear and tear in the tranny itself. As for the 'kick your car butt' issue, it's gonna take time to rectify.

However, since you already change the entire auto tranny with your mech, he is to be responsible for repairing the gearbox.

You didn't pay RM1,250 to replace the tranny, but keep in mind that you actually paid RM1,250 to solve the problem.

If you brought your own tranny, and let him fix, you are to pay the labour to dismantle the tranny again.
But since he got the tranny for you, he is to bear the labour and oil cost, if any.

It's similar to when you buy your own spare parts from a spare part shop. If that part screws up, you will have to pay your mech labour two times to replace that part.
If the workshop got the spare part for you at a marked up price, he must not charge you for labour smile.gif.

That's why sometimes I don't get parts myself, but let the workshop get it for me. Sometimes I see certain stingy faces showing up at spare part shops buying 'advanced' spare parts like driveshafts, window regulators, valves, etc.... all to save cost lol. It's not worth it.

Anyways, back to topic (sorry i drifted away tongue.gif), I doubt you brougt your car back to the workshop again. Give him a second chance to rectify it before going to a different workshop and spending another 1.2k. If that same workshop is gonna charge you again, then its your rights to screw him biggrin.gif.

vr2turbo

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (elton @ Aug 22 2010, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey mate,

Sorry to hear about the sht that you been through. Your previous transmission was slipping, and your current transmission's shifting isn't smooth. Seems like the valve body inside the tranny is giving problem this time.

The slippage was due to wear and tear in the tranny itself. As for the 'kick your car butt' issue, it's gonna take time to rectify.

However, since you already change the entire auto tranny with your mech, he is to be responsible for repairing the gearbox.

You didn't pay RM1,250 to replace the tranny, but keep in mind that you actually paid RM1,250 to solve the problem.

If you brought your own tranny, and let him fix, you are to pay the labour to dismantle the tranny again.
But since he got the tranny for you, he is to bear the labour and oil cost, if any.

It's similar to when you buy your own spare parts from a spare part shop. If that part screws up, you will have to pay your mech labour two times to replace that part.
If the workshop got the spare part for you at a marked up price, he must not charge you for labour smile.gif.

That's why sometimes I don't get parts myself, but let the workshop get it for me. Sometimes I see certain stingy faces showing up at spare part shops buying 'advanced' spare parts like driveshafts, window regulators, valves, etc.... all to save cost lol. It's not worth it.

Anyways, back to topic (sorry i drifted away tongue.gif), I doubt you brougt your car back to the workshop again. Give him a second chance to rectify it before going to a different workshop and spending another 1.2k. If that same workshop is gonna charge you again, then its your rights to screw him biggrin.gif.

Customer's rights.....Things that can or cannot claim in the event of failure.... smile_thumbup.gif

fkmfkm

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (elton @ Aug 22 2010, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey mate,

I must be one of the stingy face...

wah stingy face to spare part shop by driveshafts...hmmm.......

rallychamp

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
if me buy a driveshaft sure install it at home...

more saving.... smile_approve.gif

if gearbox replacement/clutch related only will do if got partner to help me..coz that thing was heavy leh....patang pinggang wooo.....

(NFS Underground)

vr2turbo

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
Actually not all parts will fail, but somethings the customer buys the wrong part. Have seen this many times at my mechanic.
Even sometimes one model got a few parts, different variation.
Even sometimes mechanic orders and wrong parts are delivered, then got to call again for parts exchange..... smile_shock.gif

rallychamp

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Aug 22 2010, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually not all parts will fail, but somethings the customer buys the wrong part. Have seen this many times at my mechanic.
Even sometimes one model got a few parts, different variation.
Even sometimes mechanic orders and wrong parts are delivered, then got to call again for parts exchange..... smile_shock.gif

yup..so mostly bring the sample and go buy....if pomen...ask sparepart runner to come and pickup the spoiled part as sample....later come back along with replacement....

in this gb case..sure owner have to go back and ask the workshop for another replacement....its a must...

(NFS Underground)

vr2turbo

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ Aug 22 2010, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yup..so mostly bring the sample and go buy....if pomen...ask sparepart runner to come and pickup the spoiled part as sample....later come back along with replacement....

in this gb case..sure owner have to go back and ask the workshop for another replacement....its a must...

unless got con........ smile_shock.gif smile_blackeye.gif