Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Component Or Mid Range Speaker

• Please log in to reply

vios2000

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:16 PM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
Dear All ICE SIFU,

I am getting into ICE however I am confuse how to improve the SQ my wife Kelisa. I have Change the HU to SONY GT470 last year and using stock speakers. Obviously, the SQ improved as compared to the original unit. Now what is the next step? My Music appetite is mix, it can be vocalist, musical, or even rock .

The acceesories shop were recommending component set for front and real speakers + 4 CH AMP. or front components set + Sub +2 CH AMP for the Sub.

I notice on my HU box from SONY shows some picture like either add a AMP to a sub where the HU drive all 4 speakers(yes the HU got a sub-out) or change the rear speaker to a pair of 6 x 9 speaker + AMP without the addition of Sub.

So My question as follow:

1. What is the correct set up?
2. How to match the AMP and my HU?? Mu HU printed 52W x 4, I add a 4 CH AMP with rating 75W x 4 CH ,what does it mean? Does it equal to 52+75=127W per CH or just 75W to each speaker?
3. How to match the HU-AMP-Speakers in term of Watt(RMS)?
4. What is the difference between Components set and Coaxial and Mid range and how to choose among them?

Thanks !

vr2turbo

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (vios2000 @ Aug 19 2010, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear All ICE SIFU,

I am getting into ICE however I am confuse how to improve the SQ my wife Kelisa. I have Change the HU to SONY GT470 last year and using stock speakers. Obviously, the SQ improved as compared to the original unit. Now what is the next step? My Music appetite is mix, it can be vocalist, musical, or even rock .

The acceesories shop were recommending component set for front and real speakers + 4 CH AMP. or front components set + Sub +2 CH AMP for the Sub.

I notice on my HU box from SONY shows some picture like either add a AMP to a sub where the HU drive all 4 speakers(yes the HU got a sub-out) or change the rear speaker to a pair of 6 x 9 speaker + AMP without the addition of Sub.

So My question as follow:

2. How to match the AMP and my HU?? Mu HU printed 52W x 4, I add a 4 CH AMP with rating 75W x 4 CH ,what does it mean? Does it equal to 52+75=127W per CH or just 75W to each speaker?
4. What is the difference between Components set and Coaxial and Mid range and how to choose among them?

Thanks !

Depends on your budget. If plenty then the full works, components, sub, amps etc. as in No:1
If budget, then got for No:2. Sub out to amp for sub woofer. Head Unit to drive front components and OE rear speakers
No need 6x9 speakers. I have the No: 2 setup in both my cars, but with 6x9, because I fitted them before the amp and sub.
If require hardcore music, then go No:1 option....my 2 sens

vios2000

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Aug 19 2010, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends on your budget. If plenty then the full works, components, sub, amps etc. as in No:1
If budget, then got for No:2. Sub out to amp for sub woofer. Head Unit to drive front components and OE rear speakers
No need 6x9 speakers. I have the No: 2 setup in both my cars, but with 6x9, because I fitted them before the amp and sub.
If require hardcore music, then go No:1 option....my 2 sens

Bro vr2turbo,
Thanks for your comment. But what about the HU/AMP/Speakers watt matching? and also those brand? I find there are some local brand like Amerion, SP that recoomended by the shop. The seller said there are cheap and "not so expensive" I also saw some brand like Mohawk and Soundstream is it really better ?

vr2turbo

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (vios2000 @ Aug 19 2010, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro vr2turbo,
Thanks for your comment. But what about the HU/AMP/Speakers watt matching? and also those brand? I find there are some local brand like Amerion, SP that recoomended by the shop. The seller said there are cheap and "not so expensive" I also saw some brand like Mohawk and Soundstream is it really better ?

If your HU is 52w x 4, that means the speakers wires carries this power and can be attached to the speakers directly.
If you are using the amp, then the connection is taken via the RCA connection of the HU. If amp is 75w x 4, then the power is 75w to each speakers. Make sure the speakers are able to handle this power.
As for brands, I am not so into it. I think it is more towards your budget on what you want.
For my ride, I have JVC components for the front and 6 x 9 for the rears. Sub is from EU. It is a test sub from a friend who was an importer. If not mistaken, the brand is Castlebell or something like it. 8inch sub with a very small magnet. Amp is Audiostream also a test unit.
For my wife's ride, same setup for speakers, but sub is an active 6inch sub that is located under passenger seat.
Because not hardcore, I feel this is good enough...... smile_tongue.gif

Zennn

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

Zennn

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 929 posts
QUOTE (vios2000 @ Aug 19 2010, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But what about the HU/AMP/Speakers watt matching? and also those brand? I find there are some local brand like Amerion, SP that recoomended by the shop. The seller said there are cheap and "not so expensive" I also saw some brand like Mohawk and Soundstream is it really better ?

recommended set up is 4ch amp, front component speakers and subwoofer. if u have the budget la
if not can start with coaxials only, no need amp. if u want to run a sub then yes u need an amp for it.

when u add an amp, the watt rating will be from amp, not the player. the player has small internal amp, 52W x 4 is max power, the real power maybe only 15W RMS. on amplifier usually 75W x 4 is nominal rating in watt RMS, the real rating.

matching speaker to amp only needed, HU not affected. amp power and speaker power have to be around the same la.

component set = comes with 2 units midrange, 2 units tweeters and 2 units passive crossover
coaxial is a midrange speaker with tweeter inbuilt in the middle of the speaker
midrange is the speaker that plays the midrange sound, tweeter plays high range, subwoofer plays low range.

ameron, mohawk, soundstream considered cap ayam, try visit more shops to find other brands. but if your budget is limited, then no choice la.. id rather u save up for other better brands, like alpine, pioneer, focal, morel, DLS, rainbow, rockford, helix, eton, boston, etc etc lah

deion

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

deion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
soundstream is not considered cap ayam as they do have some very high end stuff....(ie. their human reign amp)

You will find it very hard for your standard HU to power up your new speaker (unless u are talking about your std stock speakers) due to the low voltage.

If you would like to do the upgrade step by step 1st change your front speakers and get an amp. Don't worry about your back speakers as they usually act a "fill-in" only.

next get a good 2 channel amp to power up your sub.....depends on your liking (some ppl like sound quality n some like strong base) u can either go for a 12 inch sub or 2 x 10". Try to choose a more powerful amp for your subs...recommended nothing less then 200W (not PMPO!)...

Cost: Price is the limit...n please if you really serious into this, do some sound proofing n u will really hear the difference...forget about RF, the are way way overprice for that quality.

fkmfkm

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (deion @ Aug 20 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
soundstream is not considered cap ayam as they do have some very high end stuff....(ie. their human reign amp)

You will find it very hard for your standard HU to power up your new speaker (unless u are talking about your std stock speakers) due to the low voltage.

If you would like to do the upgrade step by step 1st change your front speakers and get an amp. Don't worry about your back speakers as they usually act a "fill-in" only.

next get a good 2 channel amp to power up your sub.....depends on your liking (some ppl like sound quality n some like strong base) u can either go for a 12 inch sub or 2 x 10". Try to choose a more powerful amp for your subs...recommended nothing less then 200W (not PMPO!)...

Cost: Price is the limit...n please if you really serious into this, do some sound proofing n u will really hear the difference...forget about RF, the are way way overprice for that quality.

soundstream..maybe nowdays are cap ayam already hahah

vios2000

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
QUOTE (Zennn @ Aug 20 2010, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
recommended set up is 4ch amp, front component speakers and subwoofer. if u have the budget la
if not can start with coaxials only, no need amp. if u want to run a sub then yes u need an amp for it.

when u add an amp, the watt rating will be from amp, not the player. the player has small internal amp, 52W x 4 is max power, the real power maybe only 15W RMS. on amplifier usually 75W x 4 is nominal rating in watt RMS, the real rating.

matching speaker to amp only needed, HU not affected. amp power and speaker power have to be around the same la.

component set = comes with 2 units midrange, 2 units tweeters and 2 units passive crossover
coaxial is a midrange speaker with tweeter inbuilt in the middle of the speaker
midrange is the speaker that plays the midrange sound, tweeter plays high range, subwoofer plays low range.

ameron, mohawk, soundstream considered cap ayam, try visit more shops to find other brands. but if your budget is limited, then no choice la.. id rather u save up for other better brands, like alpine, pioneer, focal, morel, DLS, rainbow, rockford, helix, eton, boston, etc etc lah

Dear Zennn,
Thank you very much for the informative explanation. For those brand that you recommended, I can only know Alpine and pioneer only !! smile_big.gif due to household brand.. morel DLS,rainbow are all alien to me, but will do a net search on them hehe.... smile_thumbup.gif Thanks

vr2turbo

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (vios2000 @ Aug 20 2010, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Zennn,
Thank you very much for the informative explanation. For those brand that you recommended, I can only know Alpine and pioneer only !! smile_big.gif due to household brand.. morel DLS,rainbow are all alien to me, but will do a net search on them hehe.... smile_thumbup.gif Thanks

In Car audio there is no end, just what you want to fit or can afford to fit....... smile_wink.gif

ahboy

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

ahboy

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts
QUOTE (deion @ Aug 20 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RF overprised, soundstream also the same, overprised. Their human reign expensive nia, their old school reference series much more worth while. Most stuff sells in msia r overpriced.