Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Drb-hicom Inks Deal With Vw To Make, Assemble Cars

• Please log in to reply

enduser

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

enduser

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
http://www.btimes.co...icle/index_html

DRB-Hicom inks deal with VW to make, assemble cars

Volkswagen AG, Europe’s largest carmaker, and Malaysia’s DRB-Hicom Bhd signed an agreement to collaborate on making Volkswagen cars in the Southeast Asian country.

Volkswagen models may be assembled at a DRB-Hicom plant in Pekan, according to a statement today to the Malaysian stock exchange. Executives from the two companies signed a memorandum of understanding in Singapore today, it said.

Volkswagen ended partnership talks earlier this year with Proton Holdings Bhd, Malaysia’s national automaker, as the German carmaker had “other priorities,” Proton said in June.

Proton has been seeking a strategic alliance to help bolster exports and develop new models to better compete with the likes of Toyota Motor Corp and Honda Motor Co. -- Bloomberg

sengih

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

sengih

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
Wow! Ckd polo 1.2tsi = RM60k, ckd golf gti = RM120k? Cannot wait already... RIP Jap and Korean
Prelude 1980, Subaru 1985, Fiesta 1987, Laser 1991, Lynx 2003, Mazda6 2005, Punto 2000 [:)][:D][8D][:O][8)][:I][:P][}:)][;)][:O)][:x][^]

sure88

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:18 AM

sure88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
QUOTE (sengih @ Aug 13 2010, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! Ckd polo 1.2tsi = RM60k, ckd golf gti = RM120k? Cannot wait already... RIP Jap and Korean

More like RIP Proton !! smile_blackeye.gif

sengih

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:41 AM

sengih

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
So, should I wait for CKD Golf/Polo or buy the already finger-lickin' good price CBU Golf/Polo which VWM recently advertised?
Prelude 1980, Subaru 1985, Fiesta 1987, Laser 1991, Lynx 2003, Mazda6 2005, Punto 2000 [:)][:D][8D][:O][8)][:I][:P][}:)][;)][:O)][:x][^]

enduser

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:29 AM

enduser

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
http://www.btimes.co...icle/index_html

3 VW models to roll out of DRB-Hicom plant

Three new Volkswagen models are expected to roll out of the DRB-Hicom plant in Pekan, thus strengthening the district's position as a regional automotive hub.

Prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said assembling of CKD (complete knock down) vehicle components of the renowned German brand would see the vehicles roll out of the plant by the end of the first quarter next year.

He said the joint venture was agreed upon after his meeting with Volkswagen top officials during his overseas holiday recently.

"I've always been monitoring the developments involving DRB-Hicom and during my recent vacation, I took the opportunity to meet the Volkswagen officials and ask them whether they were till keen to establish cooperation with DRB-Hicom.

"Actually, they were waiting for the indication from me whether they could sign the agreement with DRB-Hicom or not," he said in his speech at a Ramadan gathering with DRB-Hicom management and staff in Pekan today.

Also present was DRB-Hicom Berhad managing director Datuk Seri Mohd Khamil Jamil.

Yesterday, DRB-Hicom and Volkswagen signed a memorandum of understanding to cooperate in the assembly and production of Volkswagen vehicles in Malaysia.

Najib said Volkswagen also requested for incentives from the Malaysian government to make the DRB-Hicom production plant here its export base for the Asean region.

"This needs to be studied and approved by the government," he said.

Najib said the joint venture would also contribute to the success of the East Coast Economic Region's development plan based partly on continuous development of the local automotive industry.

In this respect, he said, the DRB-Hicom management and staff needed to carry out transformation to put the company's image at the highest level, thus building foreign manufacturers' confidence including those which had already established cooperation with DRB-Hicom like Suzuki and Mercedes-Benz, in the
local automotive industry.

"Total commitment from all quarters is a vital ingredient for continuous success."

The prime minister then together with over 100 residents performed Tarawih prayers at the Batu 8 mosque in Pekan. -- Bernama
--------------------------------------------------------------

1. 3 new model...maybe like polo,vento etc but not high end model like GTi or rocco

2. vehicles roll out of the plant by the end of the first quarter next year..
bro sengih, can u wait that long smile_big.gif smile_big.gif

3. "Najib said Volkswagen also requested for incentives from the Malaysian government to make the DRB-Hicom production plant here its export base for the Asean region.

"This needs to be studied and approved by the government," he said. "

....this might means lower car price smile_big.gif smile_big.gif

alexT

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

alexT

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
at last an average malaysian joe can taste german engineering. DRB don compromixe on quality k. 2011 is sure an exciting yr for malaysian auto industry.

ikus

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

ikus

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 718 posts
Good news!!! So malaysian can stop dreaming about owning Neo and can look forward to own Polo
Mr. Romeo

hideiyoshi

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

hideiyoshi

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts
If this is goin to be reality, then i'm willing to jump into this bandwagon if they have MK6 or even Rocco although the car are known to have some issues and higher maintenance cost smile_blackeye.gif than a typical Jap smile_thumbup.gif

But i'm wondering why they dun bring in the SEAT cars here??

chipsmore

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

chipsmore

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
i guess the three models will be the one to cater for the mass. that exclude golf gti , scirocco , passat ( and above ).

1. polo perhaps 1.4tsi which is the size of suzuki swift. suggested price 80 - 90 K

2. jetta ( 1.6 and 2.0 tsi ) which is in the same size of corolla/civic. suggested price 140 - 150K

3. touran 2.0 which is in the same category of chevvy nabira. suggested price below 130K

just my duasen.
enough time to live enough money to spend

pat1988

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

pat1988

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
QUOTE (chipsmore @ Aug 15 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i guess the three models will be the one to cater for the mass. that exclude golf gti , scirocco , passat ( and above ).

1. polo perhaps 1.4tsi which is the size of suzuki swift. suggested price 80 - 90 K

2. jetta ( 1.6 and 2.0 tsi ) which is in the same size of corolla/civic. suggested price 140 - 150K

3. touran 2.0 which is in the same category of chevvy nabira. suggested price below 130K

just my duasen.

If CKD 1.4 Polo going for 80-90k, then the current offering of CBU 1.2 for RM109k would depreciate like hell within 1-1.5 years of launch ! smile_blackeye.gif smile_blackeye.gif