Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Smell Of Petrol Fume (inside And Outside Car)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

flounder

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

flounder

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
hi all,

Lately I can smell the petrol fume from outside my car... quite strong smell...
sometimes can smell it inside as well.. thought it was nothing so jz leave it for about 2mth.

Today I juz sent my car to modify my exhaust pipe (kepala oni) and when they jack my car up using something like fork lift, can see my petrol tank got leakage of petrol... as it was very oily from the outside... i duno what but clearly something is wrong here..

anyone face similar issue before and how was it resolved? an estimate of the damage gona be will be good too...

my car has no more warranty, so a recommendation of a good workshop is appreciated! smile.gif

Regards!

sn00py

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

sn00py

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
This may cause a fire if somebody throw live cigarette butt out of the window. By the way how is the leakage look like? is it from rusty or crack?
sn00pz

soeffeyan

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

soeffeyan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
QUOTE (flounder @ Aug 3 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi all,

Lately I can smell the petrol fume from outside my car... quite strong smell...
sometimes can smell it inside as well.. thought it was nothing so jz leave it for about 2mth.

Today I juz sent my car to modify my exhaust pipe (kepala oni) and when they jack my car up using something like fork lift, can see my petrol tank got leakage of petrol... as it was very oily from the outside... i duno what but clearly something is wrong here..

anyone face similar issue before and how was it resolved? an estimate of the damage gona be will be good too...

my car has no more warranty, so a recommendation of a good workshop is appreciated! smile.gif

Regards!

Can you see where is the crack? or is it flowing from somewhere else?

Last time I got strong petrol smell, my fuel pump broken. Try remove the right hand side of the rear passenger seat, there is a black cap, twist open the black cap, see if there is any petrol leakage on top of the fuel pump.

flounder

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

flounder

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
nope i cant see any crack.. when i open the back seat, i can see there is a huge black cover... but how do u twist open it again? just rotate either clock wise/counter clock wise?

soeffeyan

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

soeffeyan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
QUOTE (flounder @ Aug 11 2010, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nope i cant see any crack.. when i open the back seat, i can see there is a huge black cover... but how do u twist open it again? just rotate either clock wise/counter clock wise?

I cannot remember. I might just pull it out. But anyway i think it is quite safe to open it, as long as you dont put force onto it, because directly below the black cover is the fuel pump...

tnash

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:21 AM

tnash

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts
QUOTE (soeffeyan @ Aug 13 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cannot remember. I might just pull it out. But anyway i think it is quite safe to open it, as long as you dont put force onto it, because directly below the black cover is the fuel pump...

I open the black cover of the fuel pump and saw that the fuel pump bracket cracked which loosen the fuel pump resulted
in overflow of fuel. This caused the petrol smell inside/outside of car. What my sifu did was to tighten broken bracket with a fastener and wallaaaaa....solved.... smile_big.gif
I did it at All Touch Auto in USJ 19....cost RM20 only for the labour and fastener....
tnash

flounder

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

flounder

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
today sent my car to KS for 40k service.. ask them to check the smell too...

comfirmed it is the fuel pump koyak! did not change it yet cuz bloody expensive... they quote me RM1100 (escluding labour)...
anyone knw where else can this be fixed because my car juz over warranty.... so no need to fix at KS anymore...

anyone got jalan to secure this fuel pump at better price?

edthrax

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

edthrax

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
QUOTE (flounder @ Aug 30 2010, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
today sent my car to KS for 40k service.. ask them to check the smell too...

comfirmed it is the fuel pump koyak! did not change it yet cuz bloody expensive... they quote me RM1100 (escluding labour)...
anyone knw where else can this be fixed because my car juz over warranty.... so no need to fix at KS anymore...

anyone got jalan to secure this fuel pump at better price?

i had the same problem also.. my fuel pump bocor... Raju from leon auto quote me rm980(including labour) to replace a new one.. but he said he'll try to patch the hole since it was small...one of his worker uses something like cement glue and after applying and waiting it to try for an hour.. the fuel leak was gone. I send my car 3 days ago.. since then no more fuel smell and just need to crank the engine once..instead of twice last time. cost me rm10.. duit kopi according to the worker..

occasionally i open the back seat to check for the any leak but so far the cement glue is doing its job.

Anyway i asked asli auto..the cost for a fuel pump is rm760
Jayraptor's Awesome Facts are based on “my friend”, “my foreman”, “my colleagues” or some car magazines. Posts like an essay for an exam, but never with proven facts.

flounder

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

flounder

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
finally fixed mine today... sent to a very experience mechanic name Abu... tried using the cement type of glue but mine no luck cuz still leaking... so went to NZ Auto (Half cut shop) at batu caves to get the pump @ RM400... [comes with 1 week warranty] im keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully can last long!

p/s: my FC was clocking 40L for 250km before it was fixed... which is insane tongue.gif

edthrax

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

edthrax

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
QUOTE (flounder @ Sep 2 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
finally fixed mine today... sent to a very experience mechanic name Abu... tried using the cement type of glue but mine no luck cuz still leaking... so went to NZ Auto (Half cut shop) at batu caves to get the pump @ RM400... [comes with 1 week warranty] im keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully can last long!

p/s: my FC was clocking 40L for 250km before it was fixed... which is insane tongue.gif

Oh can get kedai potong parts? The mechanic told me that bestari cannot use peugeot 206 1.6 fuel pump. Different size. 40l for 250km thats insane. Huhu
Jayraptor's Awesome Facts are based on “my friend”, “my foreman”, “my colleagues” or some car magazines. Posts like an essay for an exam, but never with proven facts.