Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Help - Ford Lynx Jerking

• Please log in to reply

pangcp

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:37 AM

pangcp

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I just bought a 2001 Ford Laser (Lynx) sedan which is quite similar to Mazda Protege. When I first tested the car, there is no problem with the drive. The RPM dropped to 500 and the car shaked when I stopped at traffic light. The salesman said it was clogged throttle body and cleaned it for me.

After 2 days, I picked up the car and the RPM drop problem was gone. But then, I experience a sudden jerk (less than 1 second) when I drive in the city and highway. It is a pull back jerk, only happen once at a time. The RPM will drop slightly and rise back to previous level. Eg: 3000rpm to 2500rpm and back to 3000rpm in less than a second. Sometimes the RPM rise back quickly, sometimes the RPM stays at lower level and slowly rise up again. There is no gear change on this time.

The jerk force is moderate. More forceful than sudden brake. But my body just move forward slightly. And it is not caused by gear changing. The car is not shaking.

The jerk happens at speed from 20km/h to 120km/h. It may occur several times in a minute. And it may occur once in 5 to 10 minutes.

Later a software diagnostic was performed and one error is deleted. Immediately, city driving no longer jerks.

Now, the jerk only occurs above 70km/h. It happens quite consistently at 80km/h.

It mostly happen while cruising at steady speed. The car accelerates nicely with no loss of power. The gear changes smoothly, up shift and downshift. There is no clanking or explosion sound. When the jerk occurs, there is a slight "thump" sound. Recently, I realize the engine makes a high pitch sound during highway driving.

The car idles at 800rpm. I can see the RPM needle moves up and down slightly, around 790 to 810rpm. Fuel consumption is okay too. Highway gets 40mpg and city gets 24mpg.

The spark plug, gearbox oil filter, air filter, engine oil, gearbox oil was changed without any difference on the jerk. Fuel filter is still in good condition.

Side note: the ABS and parking brake light don't light up. The bulb is spoilt. When a new bulb is replaced, the parking brake light glows much brighter. Maybe this cause it to blow up in the first place. The panel electronic board was suspected to have spoilt. I don't know whether this will affect the car's other electronic system.

A recently computer diagnostic found no error. So what was the possible cause for this jerking? Thanks for your help.

randythoma

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

randythoma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
not a good way to drive your day to work! This issue should be fixed by the dealership. I once experience this but only with a clogged fuel line.
Drive Cars that are Green Powered

Breadman

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Breadman

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
It could be a few things. Sensors, ignition coil or spark plug cable. Go get it checked.

In the case of my 2001 Lynx, it was the sensors. smile.gif
"Behind every great fortune there is a crime." ~ Mario Puzo (The Godfather)

ring

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

ring

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
Hi pangcp,

What you described was actually a symptom of "Miss-firing". If one of your spark plug fail, you would have this experience of rough feel or "jerky drive". Re-check after its replacement a new set of plug & if the symptom persist. The next point is the plug cables that needs to replace. If that does not help, your next target is the fail distributor caps.

Note : New car spark plug cables worn out faster due to new engine technology. It requires replacement after the 5th year. Perhaps, manufacturer use a more inferior parts can be the reason behind it.

Hope this help!

Ring

"IDEMITSU engine oil and YUASA Battery...A truely Japanese quality product"