Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

2011 Hyundai Sonata I45 - Personal Review

• Please log in to reply

Informer

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
2011 Hyundai Sonata i45 - Personal Review
DRIVEN & Tested

PART I

Introduction...

From Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia..../Hyundai_Sonata

... The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size sedan manufactured and marketed globally by Hyundai Motor Company. Since 2010, it is known as the i45 in the Singaporean, Australian and New Zealand markets ...

First generation (Y, 1985 - 1987)
... The first Sonata was only for Korea domestic market. The vehicle was unveiled in South Korea in November 1985.
Engine choices include 1.8L or 2.0L I4. The body was based on the Hyundai Stellar ...

Sixth generation (YF, 2011 - present)
... The YF models were originally developed in 2005, with a development cost of @450 billion Won (US$ 372 million*). Sales of the vehicle in South Korea began on 2 September 2009, before the production vehicle's South Korean launch. In South Korea, The 6th Sonata delivers its 2-liter Theta II MPi gasoline engine (Max output 165 PS (121 kW; 163 hp), Max torque of 202Nm). Its fuel economy is more than 11% improved. For the US market, Hyundai uses their new direct injection 2.4 liter four cylinder engine. With direct injection technology this new engine will boast improved gas mileage and 201 PS (148 kW; 198 hp) at 6300 rpm, 25.5 kg/m (250 Nm; 184 lb/ft) at 4250 rpm.

It is part of the Theta II engine lineup. Furthermore, all engines are offered with a new six-speed automatic transmission. The 6th Sonata adopts Hyundai's new "fluidic sculpture" design language, boasts an increase in performance, and an improvement in safety features and fuel efficiency. It incorporates state-of-the-art technology to elevate the Hyundai brand. The 6th Sonata is built on hot-stamped ultra high-strength steel ...

View Walk-Around of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata (US version)
Watch Video...

View the new Hyundai's Theta 2.4 GDi Engine Technology...
Watch Video...

To be continued...
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

Informer

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
PART II

Pricing & Car Engineering...

The local Malaysian version comes in 3 variant. All variant are of CBU import units most probably imported from Ulsan, South Korea, Hyundai Manufacturing Plant. Only the American/ Canada variant will be supplied by HMMA Manufacturing Plant in Alabama, USA.
- Hyundai in America video promo...
- Hyundai in Europe video promo...

1. 2.0L Engine (1998cc), Standard at RM135,888.00 (OTR - with Insurance)
2. 2.0L Engine (1998cc), High-Spec at RM143,888.00 (OTR - with Insurance)
3. 2.4L Engine (2359cc), High-Spec at RM163,888.00 (OTR - with Insurance)

All variant comes with Gated-Type 6 Speed A/T, Theta II 2.0L or 2.4L MPI Petrol Engine.

Both engines are of Dual CVVT, 16 Valves Direct Acting with Mechanical Lash Adjuster.
The 2.0L produces power of 165HP @ 6,200RPM, with Torque at 202Nm @ 4,600RPM while the 2.4L produces power of 178HP @ 6,000RPM, with Torque at 233Nm @ 4,000RPM
Weight for the 2.0L is about 1,404Kg while the 2.4L is around 1,411Kg.

All cars comes standard with 215/55R17, 17-inch Alloy Wheels with one spare (non-alloy wheel).

For safety, 2 front air-bags, ABS exist on all versions as standards. Both the 2.0L and 2.4L High-Spec comes with ESP (Electronic Stability Programme), HAC (Hill-Start Assist Control) and BAS (Brake Assist System).
Full Leather, Active Head-Rest, Tilt and Telescopic steering, and parking foot brake are standard on all versions.
Suspension system are of McPherson Strut type (Front) & Multi-link type (Rear). These setup ensures both ride comfort and superior handling throughout the journey.

More Event Photos and Images from war2z photo gallery...
Click here...

To be continued...
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

Informer

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
PART III

Interior and Features...

Step-in in the driver seat and one will feel the premium build quality of the said car. Dashboard and interior is flush with soft-plastic and leather trimmings that only exist in cars like the BMW's and Mercedes. Once inside, slam closed the doors, and will be pampered by that European style present in the interior styling.

The dashboard cluster is of binnacle type with VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display) packed in a 2-cylinder type design blue back-lit color theme lights with MID (Multi-Function Information Display) located in between.
Only the High-Spec 2.0L and 2.4L versions comes with Smart Key + Engine Start/Stop Button with the Standard version uses the conventional Key type start switch.

Air-con is of manual version on the both the 2.0L but the 2.4L High-Spec only gets Auto Air-Con system.
The center console is nicely designed with blue back-lit color theme and of friendly premium look and design.

Air-Con Rear Duct and Auto Cruise is standards on all variant.
Steering Wheel Audio Control comes standard on all model.
Since this car doesn't compete with features and Car Tech that are available in the makes likes BMW. Mercedes or Audi to name the least, this Premium Tech is above par compared to the CKD makes of Camry, Accord etc.

For the both the High-Spec version, the Driver Seat is pampered with 8-Way Power Adjustable Seat but the 2.0L Standard uses normal seats adjustable format with height adjustment. The 2.4L High-Spec version got both driver and passenger front power seats.
Organ type Accelerator Pedal are standard.
Foot-brake is located exectly on top of the left foot-rest when fully depressed.
Audio system comes with premium CD/Radio stereo system with MP3, Ipod, Aux, and USB port functionality available.
Center Armrest console is of Multi-box type with cup-holder nicely concele under a sliding type panel.

Panoramic Sunroof is only avalible for both the 2.0L & 2.4L High-Spec version with push button.

To be continued...
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

Informer

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:56 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
PART IV

Exterior...

Hyundai design philosophy is known as "Fluidic Sculpture".
What is Fluidic Sculpture?
... "Fluidic Sculpture" is Hyundai's new design philosophy which embodies a flowing and dynamic form execution. Hyundai design embrace the harmony of human co-existence and the wisdom of sustainable growth from nature's never ending evolution to create a vision of progressive and passionate futuristic design ...

The 2011 Sonata is designed by chief designer Philip Zak and team at Hyundai's North American Design Center in Irvine, California.

Both 2.0L type will have only Projector Halogen Lamp whereas the 2.4L High-Spec comes with HID Lamps.
Fog Lamp and Electrical Folding Side Mirror comes standard on all models

The design is so premium that looking at the car at stand-still makes one wonder how European look this car have been setting it apart from the conventional common Japanese design except for the ones that exist in the American/ European versions (Acura, Infinity, Lexus).
Body build is rigid and of solid material. The doors slam will a sound thud and more of a premium feel rather that conventional normal cars nowadays.
Rear boot space is huge with split rear seats 40/60 fordable type. There two pull type knob at the boot on both ends for easy usage.

LED outside side mirror electronically fordable type is available on all models.
Rear lights comes with warp-around LED with some sort of eyelid solid continuous flow lines like the ones first introduce on the Audi A4 front headlamps.
In terms of dimension, the Sonata is comparable with the massive hugh size Honda Accord which is at 1,835mm (Width), 4,820mm (Length) and 1,470mm (Height) respectively.

In future, all new Hyundai cars will come will i-Flow design concept.
1. Video Preview 1...
2. Video Preview 2...

One sad issue about SD Hyundai local is their lack of vision and talent in creating informative and good design websites.

Even Komoco Singapore website is pack with info about the said car products. Not good, but just better.
I learn more about Hyundai brand from Worldwide Hyundai USA because there is really not much to see from the local brand website. Websites are places where costumers first come to see a particular product before they then go and see the real thing at the Showrooms.

If by first impression, there are lack of information in a particular website, the interest of a potential customer will be a let down. If SD Hyundai Management think a website is not important, well they better think again because you can have the best product in the world but without free access to wealth of information to the local masses, the said product cease to exist but only to a handful of customers that are interested in it.

Since there are no online e-Brochure for the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata from the local website, consumer can download the US version .pdf brochure as linked below...
e-Brochure (US version): Click here...
... right click... save as...

To be continued... DRIVING experience...
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

Kevin

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
Note that the spare tyre is also a space saver spare (no issues for me).

enigma56

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

enigma56

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Jun 27 2010, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Note that the spare tyre is also a space saver spare (no issues for me).

View and test drive the unit the other days...

My 'personal' opinions are as follow:

- tying very hard to like the shape but failed.
- interior is so normal or boring, nothing to excite, probably due to colour scheme..and fancy air cond vents...
- driving feel is normal and can be noisy when rev hard.
- exhault sound terrible when rev hard.
- difficult to feel the extra hp, probably due to 6 speed gear set up.

Overall it is a very complete car but no soul to me.... you won't be admiring it always...

OK car.

jayraptor

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (enigma56 @ Jun 28 2010, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
View and test drive the unit the other days...

My 'personal' opinions are as follow:

- tying very hard to like the shape but failed.
- interior is so normal or boring, nothing to excite, probably due to colour scheme..and fancy air cond vents...

Overall it is a very complete car but no soul to me.... you won't be admiring it always...

OK car.

I find many sales staffs are still not being briefed to explain the noisy rev. Many complained about the high rev additional capability after test drive thinking that this is flaw. It really makes me wanted to explain to them in free speech with loud speaker seeing the sales staffs helpless in introducing the supposed to be added advantage. SD marketing staffs didn't get my message earlier or too lazy to react?

Here's my verdict, tested with 4 full size adults male + 1 pretty salesgirl. She sits in front though we wished to have her sandwiched in between at rear, best is in between my legs as the rear legroom is ample smile_tongue.gif

Engine:
Very impressive engine, powerful low & mid end torque with additional high rev capability. When you have that 165ps@6200rpm output, sure will get the loud rev but note that this Sonata could do it because of dual CVVT. If the Accord and Camry tuned to this output, it will get very high FC and overloading the engine.

Accord has high rev but its poor torque brought it down. Camry's engine is noisy at low speed but because it does not have cam phasing at speed, it is more silent than Sonata & Accord at high speed. High revv in Sonata YF 2.0 kicks in at over 3000rpm onwards, that's when you hear the loud roar. Driven below 3000rpm, it is quiet and with 2000-2500rpm acceleration enough torque & power to glide the car around.

If wanted the more quiet version, can go for Sonata 2.4L without high rev capability. It will not be noisy. Silly mistake made by SD, should get at least 1 Sonata 2.4L to prove its great NVH. Now many mistaken Sonata has bad NVH.

The exhaust used in 2.0 is the sports muffler (shorter than standard) similar to the one used in Lancer GT. It will give more noise than standard longer reverse flow muffler. Some might not like it.

Acceleration:
Best is Sonata YF getting 10s+, I can beat Civic 1.8 & Sylphy 2.0 with this thing. Defeating Camry 11s and Accord 12s. The test drive allows me to throw the rented Camry & Accord more kaw than with friend's car. Very kind SD gave us opportunity to have fun. That new not yet open road is so useful in test drive. Accord '08 (Camry Killer) is totally inferior to Camry, don't find any reason why should I go for Accord that lost in acceleration and comfort. Much lagging can be felt in Accord while Camry has little.

Both the Camry and Accord need more revving to >3000rpm get to optimum speed whereas the Sonata YF requires just 2500rpm. The high revving in Sonata YF is used mainly for overtaking or during emergency or as supplement to high torque when going uphill. Else, no need to use.

Handling:
The test unit Sonata YF 2.0 high spec doesn't have VSC whereas the local variant Sonata 2.0 High spec has it. Even without VSC, the Sonata could still throw hard corner with little understeer. SD made wrong move to bring in that variant without VSC as test unit, totally wrong as it could give wrong perception to public. I only found out when the salesgirl told during the high speed hard cornering. The Camry & Accord with VSC off if being thrown like that would have understeered more badly. Some cars without proper suspension setup like Sylphy and VSC might enter that road at 3 o' clock instead of completing U-turn at that tiny roundabout.

NVH:
Sonata NVH, if driven above 3000rpm, the engine high rev roar might not be pleasant to some. However, driven below 3000rpm, it gives quiet ride but the sports exhaust will generate little noise. Camry's engine is louder at low speed but overall Camry wins. Accord has the high rev sounds.

Interior:
Interior width Accord wins, headroom & legroom in Accord & Camry good. Sonata YF has best legroom but interior width & headroom less than the 2. They should have retained the interior space of older Sonata NF that is best, better than both Camry & Accord. smile_angry.gif

Sonata comes with anti-heat materials dash and door panels as found in BMW & Merc. It feels like plastic but in fact they are new materials tend to replace the traditional soft materials. Less susceptible to absorb heat so that you won't get burn if you park your car under direct hot sun.

Which will I buy:
I'll go for Sonata YF for the superiority. As proven in Sonata NF and the borrowed Forte 1.6EX, I just need to glide around at 2000rpm and requre 2500rpm only when accelerating due to very good low end torque. Forte 1.6EX kerb weight 1261kg FC in city traffic recorded 340km with 27.8L of RON95 at RM50 giving 12.2km/L. Sonata's Theta II with dual CVVT would give superior reading. Only thing I dislike is its interior rear seat space same as Forte when 3 men sitting behind.

Informer

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
Part V - Final

Since the media preview of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata read on Paultan's Blog, the said launch was expected to be by end of April 2010.
It took almost about 2 months later for the launch to take place from the expected date.
After all the hype and rumors in Blogs and Forums, finally the long waiting is finally over.

The latest news heard was about a Preview Launch at Hyundai Glenmarie on the 24th. June 2010 but only more of a private function.
The 26th. - 29th. June Public Preview was then open to or by invitation from local SA's, Hyundai Events Reservation in Facebook or by calling to Glenmarie Showroom Center for appointment. The function was held on the 1st. Floor of a Conference Center at the back alley of the main Showroom Hall. Five units of Silver Sonatas parade outside the entrance and was made available for test-drives in these particular visiting days.

As I walk-up the stairs towards the Show Center, the stairway was bluish lit with hanging white curtains all the way up. It's like climbing up the stair to an aisle. Visitors will be greeted by beautiful models with sexy white dresses before had to do a registration near the Show area entrance. Visitors can either opt for refreshment first or go straight to see the cars directly.
Visitors will have to walk-by a bluish lit hallway with running laser lights on the floor and walls.

Upon reaching the end of the hallway, there seen 4 units of Sonatas nicely arranged in the Show Hall.
The first impression was how good looking the car is in real live better than what I've imagined in the web or video reviews.
It takes some time to walk through the car inside-out to see the features and specs of the said car.
I was then given a brochure by the SA.

The first question that comes to mind is "Why should one buy this car?".
Besides the 300,000km or 5 years Warranty, what else do people look for in their investments before they buy a new car that cost roughly more that RM140,000.

The previous Hyundai and KIA model had a long history of problems and the most common question to potential buyers are it's resale value. Any car bought from day one depreciates but what matter most is the percentage of the said depreciation value. Since mobile phones and PC models changes almost every 6 months, it's a common trend nowadays, people tend to change them now and then.

If these so called gadget which cost about RM1,000 surely doesn't matter much to enthusiast, but buying a car for the sake of changing them when a new model comes by is just not worth the investment. Since, it has become a trend, no matter what, changing cars after 3-5 years are plain normal nowadays. The Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. brand had long been rooted in the minds of Malaysian before the existence of Proton or Perodua. This make them a strong brand in the local car market today.
People that buys these common said brand are considered the wise ones upon making their decision of their long term investment.

Hyundai and KIA have been at a long time following the tail of the Japanese car makers, and they foresee that building cars for a small particular segment/ region won't bring them far. So, they follow suit what the Japanese makers had done before which is building their brand name in the Western and European market.

What Lexus, Infinity, Acura did from the past, is now copied by the Koreans but they take it one step ahead.
By building Manufacturing Plants in USA and Europe, they are able to create jobs for the local and build a sense of fonding bond with the locals. They also appoint and utilize the Western creative design ingenuity in their products line with strict local safety standard to win the heart of locals and this popularize their brand extensively.

The Test-Drive...

After spending almost an hour mingling among crowd, had some beverages, I was finally called for my test-drive session.
Upon walking down the stairs, my awaited test-car was already waiting for me. Step in, do some adjustments with the steering wheel, seat, side-mirrors etc., I was then on my way. The Sonata is of a CBU unit, 2.0L High-spec version. Build quality is refine and flawless with little gaps in-between body seams. The car felt sturdy with butter-smooth gear shift on the 6 speeder drive transmission. Either, up or downshift, the smoothness is the same.

Steering felt direct and NVH is quite sedate. It's more like a cool premium feeling rather than the previous Camry or Accord tested before. No doubt, all these same cars are hugh with interior space and leg-room, but that six-speeder gear-change does give some peace of mind. Rear passengers gots lots of leg-room and headroom space, because by comparison, the dimension of the Sonata is almost at par with the one in the Accord. Maybe the Accord design have got that "look at me" impression, but the Sonata is just darn pretty with futuristic curvy lines and contours.

The ride suspension absorbs well. On full acceleration and full emergency braking, the car felt compose with stretching tires biting the tarmac, but passenger and driver felt only slight nudge forward during the test. During a Mr. bean round-about test, body roll felt minimal. All in all, the Sonata is a better car then what the present Camry and Accord had to offer.
Since no highway test is been done, there is no way to know whether the car will wallow at higher speed like the Camry. On the other hand, driving and handling have to beat the Mazda 6 or Accord if owners felt the urge to take it to the limit.

Having said that, it's up to SD Hyundai to make the best marketing and after-sales services, because it's will be the future benchmark for Hyundai brand in the local market. My main comment is the mono-tone black interior that exist like the one in the Tucson and the foot-brake pedal is exactly on top of the foot-rest which is to me, it should be placed a bit to the left so as not to hinder the movement of the left foot. Some will hate Hyundai for the brand and low re-sale value, but the car dynamic and fluidic styling will tell the rest of the story.

Thanks to SD Hyundai for sharing this experience and good luck in their future en-devour.
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

skcheng

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

skcheng

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
i just checked the dimensions for the D segment sedans as below, on paper it shows Sonata is almost same size with Camry in dimension, the Sonata is even 1.5cm wider than Camry.
The Accord is the largest among all of them.

Sit in Mazda 6 before, the head room for rear sit has very limited leg and head room for 6 footer.
The P407 also has not enough head room for tall people.
Dun know why, I feel like both P407 and Mazda 6 interior space is like C segment car only.
My Avante has better head room than Mazda 6.

The rear seat for Sonata is pretty much OK for 6 footer, the leg room is good. The head room is better than Mazda 6 and P407. I think those who want spacious D segment car would not go for Mazda 6 and P407.

I thought this Sonata YF has better dimension than previous Sonata NF ?

Dimensions (L x W x H)

Accord
(4945 x 1845 x 1475)mm

Sonata
(4820 x 1835 x 1470)mm

Camry
(4825 x 1820 x 1470)mm

Mazda 6
(4755 x 1795 x 1440)mm

P407
(4692 x 1811 x 1452)mm

Kevin

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
The Sonata YF has much less headroom than the Sonata NF. All thanks for the slope of the roof towards the rear smile_angry.gif There's tonnes of leg space though.

Still a lovely car.