Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Gear Change Jerking

• Please log in to reply

ymfoo

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

ymfoo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

The 2003 Estima I have been driving for the last few years is giving some gear change problem.

The MPV was having silky smooth non-noticeable gear change until the past month, the gear change becomes more noticeable and slightly jerky. This is especially so at around 20km/h. At that speed, the car jerks everytime I step on the accelerator gently. If I step on it harder, the jerk becomes rather violent.

Is this a sign of that the gear box is coming to the end of its life? My mileage is only 110,000km!! The car is serviced according to the book.

Can anyone offer help or solution?

Thanks in advance.

Cars, Oh cars......

V406198

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (ymfoo @ Jun 9 2010, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 2003 Estima I have been driving for the last few years is giving some gear change problem.

The MPV was having silky smooth non-noticeable gear change until the past month, the gear change becomes more noticeable and slightly jerky. This is especially so at around 20km/h. At that speed, the car jerks everytime I step on the accelerator gently. If I step on it harder, the jerk becomes rather violent.

Is this a sign of that the gear box is coming to the end of its life? My mileage is only 110,000km!! The car is serviced according to the book.

Thanks in advance.

when you said you serviced according to the book , may i know what did the service book stated the service interval/mileage on ATF change ? i assume your Estima are recond unit from japan, so your service book also base on japan spec ? so far had you done any ATF change during your ownership ?

by normal rule of thumb, any car acceleration/gear change with jerk/vibration could be many reason..

- Bad engine mounts
- over due ATF
- Bad gear box valve body
- Bad drive shaft
- Bad igntion system
- Bad front absorber top mounting...

2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.

vr2turbo

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (V406198 @ Jun 9 2010, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when you said you serviced according to the book , may i know what did the service book stated the service interval/mileage on ATF change ? i assume your Estima are recond unit from japan, so your service book also base on japan spec ? so far had you done any ATF change during your ownership ?

by normal rule of thumb, any car acceleration/gear change with jerk/vibration could be many reason..

- Bad engine mounts
- over due ATF
- Bad gear box valve body
- Bad drive shaft
- Bad igntion system
- Bad front absorber top mounting...

Heard some say for ATF, most SC don't flush, just pan change only...... smile_blackeye.gif

ymfoo

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:06 AM

ymfoo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jun 9 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heard some say for ATF, most SC don't flush, just pan change only...... smile_blackeye.gif

I sent my MPV to Naza approved workshop for service every 10K. ATF is changed every 20K.

Are there any tests that can be performed to check out the problem?

Cars, Oh cars......

vr2turbo

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (ymfoo @ Jun 21 2010, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sent my MPV to Naza approved workshop for service every 10K. ATF is changed every 20K.

Are there any tests that can be performed to check out the problem?

Can't the Naza SC check on it. They should have the equipment...... smile_tongue.gif

kfloo

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

kfloo

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
im driving Hyundai Getz year 2003 1.6 . my gear box also have the jerk when slow down / stop. May i know any one have that issue before. i do flush the ATF oil at 30k km. but still have such porblem which is now already 116k km.

Please advice if send to repair gear box. can it solve?

vr2turbo

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (kfloo @ Aug 28 2010, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im driving Hyundai Getz year 2003 1.6 . my gear box also have the jerk when slow down / stop. May i know any one have that issue before. i do flush the ATF oil at 30k km. but still have such porblem which is now already 116k km.

Please advice if send to repair gear box. can it solve?

Is the jerk very bad? If not, just continue using as opening up an auto box is pretty expensive.
If not send to mechanic for second opinion before deciding..... smile_wink.gif

elton

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

elton

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
i'd say there is sludge build up in the auto tranny. Try doing a flush on ur estima and see smile.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (elton @ Sep 1 2010, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'd say there is sludge build up in the auto tranny. Try doing a flush on ur estima and see smile.gif

Wah, if atf can sludge, means very long time no change oil....... smile_shock.gif

mubull

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

mubull

Tokyo Drifter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts
QUOTE (ymfoo @ Jun 9 2010, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks in advance.

I think bro v406188 hv given u few possibilities.

On top of tht, did u ever change your ATF filter for ACR30 ? how bout the plug ? the plug /ignition cables condition? OS sensor?

Send it to them and they shd hv the small computer device to chk the ignition..
cheers.... Duragloss The Wet Look
www.duragloss.com.my
facebook.com/duraglossmalaysia