Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Skil Polisher 9070

• Please log in to reply

GRexer

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

GRexer

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
Was wondering if anyone had heard of the "new" SKIL Polisher 9070 rotary buffer? Costs around RM300+, supposed to have a minimum no load speed of 1000rpm(not sure if it bogs down, need to try out a unit to know) and maximum speed of 3000rpm, with what seemed like 5 speed options (Speed selector up to 5). Spindle is M14 thread, weighs around 3.2KG as well.

No load speed seems a tad too high compared to the minimum 600rpm of Hitachi/Makita, but for the price of a Random Orbit Buffer, is it worth a try? Considering the Bosch GEX-125AE is around RM300+ as well. Or the Ken 9518BE is even more worth it for the price?

Standard accessories include M14 to M16 adaptor, 7" Velcro pad, 7" Sponge pad, seems like quite complete to start buffing except the need to buy more pads.

vr2turbo

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (GRexer @ May 31 2010, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was wondering if anyone had heard of the "new" SKIL Polisher 9070 rotary buffer? Costs around RM300+, supposed to have a minimum no load speed of 1000rpm(not sure if it bogs down, need to try out a unit to know) and maximum speed of 3000rpm, with what seemed like 5 speed options (Speed selector up to 5). Spindle is M14 thread, weighs around 3.2KG as well.

No load speed seems a tad too high compared to the minimum 600rpm of Hitachi/Makita, but for the price of a Random Orbit Buffer, is it worth a try? Considering the Bosch GEX-125AE is around RM300+ as well. Or the Ken 9518BE is even more worth it for the price?

Standard accessories include M14 to M16 adaptor, 7" Velcro pad, 7" Sponge pad, seems like quite complete to start buffing except the need to buy more pads.

Should depends on your use. Bro. jackson have a "bohai" unit which is even cheaper. Hope he can comment on his for comparison...... smile_thumbup.gif

jackson

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

jackson

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
I have seen this Skil Polisher before.

Is it this?

Off hand I would rate it as slightly a step up than the China Brand RB that I have. Think of the many grades of imitation/fake products. Grade A, Grade AA, Grade B, etc

I would say the Skil brand carries some weight. just like Toyota brand compared to Hyundai brand compared to Proton. Makita is like Toyota, Skil is like Hyundai brand, my Bohai is like Proton brand.

Skil Story

It looks like a complete set. All you need to buy next are pads and products.

3 things i would be concerned about:
1. Sound. Is it high pitch and LOUD? My Bohai is very very loud, as are all China brand RB. Makita is much quieter. Would be interesting to see (hear) where Skil stands.
2. Whether it bogs down...
3. If spoilt, got service?

Maybe the shop selling it let you test sound and see if it bogs down. But honestly, to me, if bogs down or not, dont matter that much. Sound level matters more. Being a considerate neighbour, I worry of annoying neighbours with the sound it makes.
It's easy when you know how...

msk

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

msk

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
Hey, surprised this skil pops up as 2322 refers me to consider also. Guys on forum, if you know more, please inform.. I look at the site US brand and contact page actually refers to Bosch Malaysia address.

Speaking of noise, I already thought Bosch is loud as I tend to do car detailing at night in porch when cool by hand last time.. Now after work evening I also felt a bit worried what my neighbour thinks of having machines on off for a few hours.. I dread to think what Makita will sound like and China brands. How are you guys handling it?

KrisMas

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
Firstly, although the pitch is higher, Makita's dB is lower than the Bosch.

Secondly, it's highly unlikely that this Skil RO is much different than the others in that price range. Like a car, you can have a local car mod to look like an evo but it can never outperform the real deal, unless you go the full mod including the engine, gearbox, chassis, etc. which is where the bulk of the cost lies.

Maybe you would get a better warranty/maintenance coverage as skil is own by a bosch, but other than that, I doubt that it's anywhere near the performance of the Makita, Hitachi or the like.

But, saying that, if money if the issue, these polishers are suitable for DIYers since you're seldom be using them other than on your own ride.

Regards.

vr2turbo

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (KrisMas @ May 31 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, saying that, if money if the issue, these polishers are suitable for DIYers since you're seldom be using them other than on your own ride.

Regards.

You are then talking about durability. Since DIY less usage, but if into business better get the Makita...... smile_wink.gif

GRexer

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

GRexer

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
Hm.. Consider that the price is RM300 fixed, is it really worth the premium over BoHai and FuQiang? Both which I saw going for RM139 and RM185 respectively at Mr. DIY outlets.

Was actually thinking of this as an alternative to the ROB in the form of the Bosch GEX-125AE considering that the price is VERY similar, of course, it's for DIY purposes only and not for business. Just trying out new detailing tools.

spirit36

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

spirit36

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
anyone can share the actual weight of Skill vs Makita RB?
If it is Bosch RB, it surely heavy compare to Makita...thats my personal experienced... smile_blackeye.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (GRexer @ Jun 1 2010, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hm.. Consider that the price is RM300 fixed, is it really worth the premium over BoHai and FuQiang? Both which I saw going for RM139 and RM185 respectively at Mr. DIY outlets.

Was actually thinking of this as an alternative to the ROB in the form of the Bosch GEX-125AE considering that the price is VERY similar, of course, it's for DIY purposes only and not for business. Just trying out new detailing tools.

As a maintenance tool the ROB will be better. Lighter to handle and good for polishing and waxing.
The RB on the other hand is heavy and used more for cutting and compounding.
If buying one, get the ROB. If into DIY and doing compounding buy both, but RB can purchase later..... smile_approve.gif

jackson

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

jackson

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
Grexer,
In hindsight, I would say just get an ROB.

For the stuff that would need an RB, I'd rather save the money, and send it to a reputable, trusted shop and get the car properly polished, compounded, etc.

Then, I would use the ROB, proper carwash method as maintenance. Applying waxes,sealants, or ROB with Menzerna 85RD or 3M Ultrafina.

You would need to go to the shop at most once a year. This is provided you DO NOT send to petrol station carwash regularly, or man on bicycle wash your car daily services.

I bought my Bohai because it was cheap, and I always wanted to play with an RB. But practicality wise, I would say get the ROB. If I had to choose only one, I would get the ROB.
It's easy when you know how...