Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

About Castrol Magnetec (10w-40)

• Please log in to reply

p800my

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

p800my

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Recently I saw Carrefour promotion about Castrol Magnetec (10W-40) with just RM 79.9.
The product just shown below Type 1.

My question. The following are the same ? Type 1 promotion now at RM79.9, however type 2
is RM 95 at outside market.

Type 1

Type 2

In term of quality, which is better ? Type 1 suitable for Nissan Livina ?

mp420

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

mp420

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
Actually both can use if u confident both are 100% genuine Castrol. The Type 1 is EU packaging while Type 2 is local packaging. Quality sama je kot?

For more info, have to wait our bro vr2 to explain more. Maybe 2day he cuti. Haha.

Cemerlang Gemilang Terbilang dan Terus Hilang

vr2turbo

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (mp420 @ May 29 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually both can use if u confident both are 100% genuine Castrol. The Type 1 is EU packaging while Type 2 is local packaging. Quality sama je kot?

For more info, have to wait our bro vr2 to explain more. Maybe 2day he cuti. Haha.

Bro. mp420,
I am no expert lah! but as far as I know you also know already.
The cheaper type 1 are source form the EU and since they got it cheap they sell it cheap. Type 2 are local one and priced as is.
Please check their ratings. The EU ones might be SL rated and local one SM, but should not make any difference in usage as both are with 10w-40 viscosity.
By SL rating shows it is of old stock, that is why they are cheaper...... smile_tongue.gif

p800my

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

p800my

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ May 29 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro. mp420,
I am no expert lah! but as far as I know you also know already.
The cheaper type 1 are source form the EU and since they got it cheap they sell it cheap. Type 2 are local one and priced as is.
Please check their ratings. The EU ones might be SL rated and local one SM, but should not make any difference in usage as both are with 10w-40 viscosity.
By SL rating shows it is of old stock, that is why they are cheaper...... smile_tongue.gif

IC.. Thanks for your explanation. So, you are saying SL rating will be lower quality comparing SM rating ?

vr2turbo

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (p800my @ May 29 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IC.. Thanks for your explanation. So, you are saying SL rating will be lower quality comparing SM rating ?

Not really in the sense of performance. Some latest rating are test for environmental reasons. Means the oil is less toxic and no so harmful to the environment.
In fact for latest rating, the performance could go down as certain chemical which is good for performance may have to be removed to cater for such rating. As mention no need to worry so much on this. I would got for the cheaper one.... smile_tongue.gif

hcgui

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
p800my
From both d pictures u provided, i can confidently say tat the 2nd pic showing d Local Packing is FAKE oil.

Y i say so? a quick n careful check with Castrol Malaysia website shows Castrol DO NOT produce Magnatec "Professional". Only Magnatec, in SAE 10W-40 and 10W-30. and if u read carefully on d bottle, d FAKE one reads "Tailor made to keep your car at its peak for longer" and "Intelligent molecules for active and continuous protection", whereas the ORIGINAL reads "Keeps your car at its peak for longer" and "Intelligent molecules for active and continuous protection from the moment you turn the key"

i've also seen Castrol GTX "Professional" with slightly different product description but one needs to be aware tat in Malaysia, there's only Castrol GTX Modern Engine 15W-40, GTX M-Tec 10W-30 and GTX 20W-50. other than these, all are FAKE.

pls do share with us here where u take this pic so tat we know which place to avoid.

the 1st pic u showed however is EU packing n i've used it in my car for 7 months, bought from Carrefour some time ago. no problem at all.

chy23

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

chy23

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
true true...used castrol for around 5 yrs dee....nvr heard n used MAGNATEC PROFESSIONAL before!!!! attention to all castrol users pls beware!!!!

QUOTE (hcgui @ May 31 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
p800my
From both d pictures u provided, i can confidently say tat the 2nd pic showing d Local Packing is FAKE oil.

Y i say so? a quick n careful check with Castrol Malaysia website shows Castrol DO NOT produce Magnatec "Professional". Only Magnatec, in SAE 10W-40 and 10W-30. and if u read carefully on d bottle, d FAKE one reads "tailor made to keep your car at it's peak for longer" and "Intelligent molecules for active and continuous protection", whereas the ORIGINAL reads "keeps your car at it's peak for longer" and "Intelligent molecules for active and continuous protection from the moment you turn the key"

i've also seen Castrol GTX "Professional" with slightly different product description but one needs to be aware tat in Malaysia, there's only Castrol GTX Modern Engine 15W-40, GTX M-Tec 10W-30 and GTX 20W-50. other than these, all are FAKE.

pls do share with us here where u take this pic so tat we know which place to avoid.

the 1st pic u showed however is EU packing n i've used it in my car for 7 months, bought from Carrefour some time ago. no problem at all.

vr2turbo

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (chy23 @ May 31 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
true true...used castrol for around 5 yrs dee....nvr heard n used MAGNATEC PROFESSIONAL before!!!! attention to all castrol users pls beware!!!!

I saw before in Mudah.com. Then I check further and found this.....They do have some with the word Professional.... smile_question.gif

http://www.google.co...G=Search images

Sure they are fake??

leongts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

leongts

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
When in doubt, you can surely refer back to Castrol's official website. They are showing a pic of the latest packing there, complete with a "scratch-n-win" section at its lower left corner of the sticker. It didn't mention about "Professional" in its sticker. Seems dubious.....hmmmm

Regards.

hcgui

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
I'm a Castrol user for a few years adee too. i'm quite confident it's fake.

this is Malaysia's OFFICIAL Magnatec. New and Old Packing. try to spot the difference compare to the Magnatec "Professional". dont forget to compare also with d description on the EU Packing. smile_approve.gif

castrol_magnatec.jpg Original_Castrol_Magnatec.jpg

wad i did was to call up Castrol's toll free line to check whether the shop i'm buying from is an official dealer and/or authorized distributor. this way, i felt much safer when buying. someone should also call it's toll free line to double -check whether there's the "Professional" range esp in Malaysia. i guess u can ask them to go audit as well if u're suspicious of any Castrol's product at any shop. i think they'll be more than happy to do tat.

cheers.