Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Vios Service Interval: 5k Or 10k

• Please log in to reply

clausewitz

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

clausewitz

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Sep 15 2010, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I read, Synthetic is certainly the best option if your car is used in extreme cold (aka Arctic or Alaska and the oil doesn't freeze) or extreme hot (aka Sahara desert and the oil doesn't thin out too much) environment. IMO, we don't have those extreme temperature.

The reason for that is because FS are more stable over a wider range of temperature so needed less Viscosity Improver when used in producing multigrade oil. That is why you see 10W40 made from FS base oil and 15W40 almost exclusively from Mineral. And 15W40 (Mineral) oil is one of the oil listed by heavy truck manufacturers like Scania etc that are certified to be used for 100,000-km extended oil change (with extra filtration). That should silent critic saying Mineral oil can not be used for mere 10,000-km.

Again comparing FS 10W40 or 5W40 and Mineral 15W40. The lighter 5W or 10W40 will certainly make the car feel more 'powerful' because it's thinner and therefore less drag on the engine.

I once also read Castrol did a study of FS vs Mineral and if my memory serve me correct, there is either a 5 or 10% improvement in FC.

i agree on ur statement above regard mineral is also able to go for extended OCI if its design to go for it.

personally, no doubt a good mineral oil shall be able to go for 10k OCI but again, its a good mineral oil but our local market, its hardly to find a good brand mineral oil comparing in other country.

if not mistaken, caltex last time sell a good mineral oil called havoline series, which is good to use up to 10k yet selling at rm80++ untill it phased off and get it replaced.

again, the questions is why we wan to use full syn? if mineral able to do almost perfect like syn oil....becoz so far i cannot find a good mineral that can last me easily 10k between OCI compare full syn oil.

Tourist

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (clausewitz @ Sep 23 2010, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i agree on ur statement above regard mineral is also able to go for extended OCI if its design to go for it.

personally, no doubt a good mineral oil shall be able to go for 10k OCI but again, its a good mineral oil but our local market, its hardly to find a good brand mineral oil comparing in other country.

if not mistaken, caltex last time sell a good mineral oil called havoline series, which is good to use up to 10k yet selling at rm80++ untill it phased off and get it replaced.

again, the questions is why we wan to use full syn? if mineral able to do almost perfect like syn oil....becoz so far i cannot find a good mineral that can last me easily 10k between OCI compare full syn oil.

If what you said is true, then it is equally hard to find a good FS oil compared to other country. So you are back to square one meaning same OCI for Malaysian FS and Malaysian Mineral. Period and BTW, you have been cheated by oil salesperson to say what you just said.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

clausewitz

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

clausewitz

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Sep 23 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If what you said is true, then it is equally hard to find a good FS oil compared to other country. So you are back to square one meaning same OCI for Malaysian FS and Malaysian Mineral. Period and BTW, you have been cheated by oil salesperson to say what you just said.

what i mean is generally (maybe i get cheated). maybe those workshop i go didnt carry any good mineral oil yet i bring my own oil (full syn) for oil replacement as i will go 15k min between OCI (at least i get peace of mind)

no doubt we have heard mineral oil able to do so but the mentioned mineral oil are available in our local market widely?

Tourist

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (clausewitz @ Sep 24 2010, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no doubt we have heard mineral oil able to do so but the mentioned mineral oil are available in our local market widely?

Yes. Plenty. Just be wary of fakes. I don't think major petrol station dare to sell fakes so I normally buy there. Same go for Coolant, brake fluids, battery water etc.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.