Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Would You Buy Retrofit Hybrid System For Your Car?

• Please log in to reply

libero

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

libero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
I've look around on types of hybrids available and stumble accross these two different retrofit hybrid technologies.

http://www.popsci.co...-kit-wins-award

and

http://www.sigmaauto...ctrocharger.php

The first one based on the description seems like you wrap a motor around your brake system and install the batteries and controllers in the boot. The second one seems more suitable for 4wd since it's installed around the long driveshaft and they're using somethng called supercapacitor instead of batteries.

Why would anyone buy such system if it cost alot to install. And how much fuel savings can we get? Would you buy one if it cost RM 10,000? If petrol price increases to RM 3/liter I might consider it I think.

libero

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

libero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
Since there is no reply so far, I would like to ask the forumers opinion on these features on the retrofit hybrid system:

1. Fuel consumption reduction by 30% in hybrid electric mode.
2. Electric drive mode range up to 40 km on single charge.
3. Batteries can be recharged at home. For example, if your house is only 15 km from your office, you can skip the petrol station and just recharge the batteries at home.
4. All wheel drive capability since both rear wheels have in-wheel motors in them.

All these at a price of RM 12,000 (plus installation) or less. What do you think?

jimmydean

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

jimmydean

6th Gear

• Members
  • 9 posts
I have doubt that we can buy the HEV retrofit kit at RM 10,000. The lithium ion batteries cost alot. You don't want to use lead acid since you can only use for maybe 12-18 months before you need to replace them. Are you selling this kit? What about JPJ regulation? If there are structural or safety changes made to the car, you'll probably need approval from JPJ.

lwlty

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

lwlty

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
Rm 12000/rm3 =4000L petrol.

Battery can tahan (lifespan) 3 or 5 Years?

for me we open eyes see all world taxi company brave use hybird ? still use NGV/cng .

Now Japan wan buy Gas(cng/ngv) with France(Total company) is largest compay gas on world.

Japan used ngv at taxi on TENA , CAMMRY ETC madel.

jangan kena tipu lagi bro,

macam dulu mana ada AIR ganti petrol ? bolehland shj percaya.

libero

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

libero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
QUOTE (lwlty @ Apr 15 2010, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rm 12000/rm3 =4000L petrol.

Battery can tahan (lifespan) 3 or 5 Years?

for me we open eyes see all world taxi company brave use hybird ? still use NGV/cng .

Now Japan wan buy Gas(cng/ngv) with France(Total company) is largest compay gas on world.

Japan used ngv at taxi on TENA , CAMMRY ETC madel.

jangan kena tipu lagi bro,

macam dulu mana ada AIR ganti petrol ? bolehland shj percaya.

1. Nickel Metal Hydride battery can last very long if managed properly. In one of the report "In real world use, some fleet Toyota RAV4 EVs, using NiMH batteries, have exceeded 100,000 miles (160,000 km) with little degradation in their daily range." and "SCEā€™s positive experience points to the very strong likelihood of a 130,000 to 150,000-mile (240,000 km) Nickel Metal Hydride battery and drive-train operational life". Source - http://en.wikipedia....vehicle_battery & Knipe, TJ et al. (2003) "100,000-Mile Evaluation of the Toyota RAV4 EV" Southern California Edison, Electric Vehicle Technical Center report. 240,000 km with yearly driving range of 30,000 km will give you 8 years of driving before battery replacement is due.

2. If you saved RM 200/month using the hybrid system, in 5 years the system will pay itself with the amount of money saved (RM 12,000 = RM 200 x 12 months x 5 years).

3. Now we have natural gas and petrol at subsidized pricing. When fuel prices increases because i. no more subsidy by government and/or ii. declining petroleum production cannot meet world demand, then you'll see that RM 12,000 retrofit is a bargain.

4. At current rate, if you travel only 40 km daily (urban driving) and only using electricity from the grid instead of fueling up at the petrol station, you'll most likely use only 7 kWhr electricy and will pay only RM 2.10. This is equal to paying RM 5.25 per 100 km traveled. Proton Persona fuel consumption is 6.6 L/100 km which you pay RM 11.88 per 100 km traveled.

5. Itu air ganti petrol memang kencing punya... tapi hybrid system sudah proven since 1999 with Honda Insight. NGV pun orang pakai sebab subsidized sahaja dan government encourage untuk reduce pollution sahaja. Kalau tak ada subsidi dan incentives dari government, harga pun tak jauh dari petrol juga.

lwlty

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

lwlty

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
ya setuju jawapan 5