Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Should I Buy A Volvo S40 2.0

• Please log in to reply

bigafella

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

bigafella

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Hi Volvo drivers,

I have never own a volvo before but my dad use to own a 244. I am thinking of getting the S40. Now it is about RM175K OTR. I test drove it and it feels great.. handling was good and all. I tried also the Peugeot 407 and the Camry.

Before i decide, please advise on the reliability of the car, the service (i heard Peugeot is bad) etc.

Thank you. i m looking at getting it next month.
bigafella

scenic

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:05 AM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (bigafella @ Mar 25 2010, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Volvo drivers,

I have never own a volvo before but my dad use to own a 244. I am thinking of getting the S40. Now it is about RM175K OTR. I test drove it and it feels great.. handling was good and all. I tried also the Peugeot 407 and the Camry.

Before i decide, please advise on the reliability of the car, the service (i heard Peugeot is bad) etc.

Hi bro,
May be you can write down the what you like and don't after the three test drives here. Then, we discuss accordingly. Cheers.
director's choice

Kevin

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Mar 26 2010, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi bro,
May be you can write down the what you like and don't after the three test drives here. Then, we discuss accordingly. Cheers.

I don't think it is very wise to plonk down RM175k on a Volvo S40 2.0 at this juncture. Many reasons for saying so.

scenic

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Mar 26 2010, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it is very wise to plonk down RM175k on a Volvo S40 2.0 at this juncture. Many reasons for saying so.

Is a new model coming in ? Cheers.
director's choice

Informer

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
QUOTE (bigafella @ Mar 25 2010, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Volvo drivers,

Alternatives. Wait for the 2011 Hyundai Sonata to be launch by April 2010.

or... upcoming 2011 Kia Optima K5

Kia Optima 2011 - front view
Both... good looking cars and design...
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

scenic

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
Bro Informer,
smile_thumbup.gif smile_approve.gif smile_wink.gif trink39.gif Cheers.
director's choice

beamer28

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

beamer28

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
just get a Mazda 6 la ... i mean for that price, u get:

1) class leading specs (eg 6 airbags i/o camcords 2, keyless , sunroof etc)

2) Decent driving dynamics - MZR engine with 5 speeder paddle shift: output ( 170+ hp)

3) Best looking in class (personally)

4) Spacious interior + boot

5) Good ol japanese reliability ....

S40 is just on its way out (quite ancient), really not sure what category car it fits in nowadays, and Volvo is now owned by China's Geely (not sure what their future holds) mellow.gif
-------------

Step aside Beemers and Mercs , Veedub is coming

tpl

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

tpl

N20 Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,101 posts
QUOTE (beamer28 @ Apr 20 2010, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just get a Mazda 6 la ... i mean for that price, u get:

1) class leading specs (eg 6 airbags i/o camcords 2, keyless , sunroof etc)

2) Decent driving dynamics - MZR engine with 5 speeder paddle shift: output ( 170+ hp)

3) Best looking in class (personally)

4) Spacious interior + boot

5) Good ol japanese reliability ....

S40 is just on its way out (quite ancient), really not sure what category car it fits in nowadays, and Volvo is now owned by China's Geely (not sure what their future holds) mellow.gif

Yeah,, later parts all buatan china.
2012 NMT President

alexT

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

alexT

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
top up another 20k and get an alfa 159.

jOnAs

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

jOnAs

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts
bigafella,

my wife drives a S40 2.4 2005, feels great, solid and handling is good. Good car indeed. However, i dont think it's wise buying at 175k otr. (2.0 some more) It was launched in 2004 and this year gonna be the 7th year of it's reign. I believe it's almost at the end of it's cycle. Although my wife just bought it last year but considering the low price ( less than half the price the 1st owner paid for ) i think still reasonable.

Maybe you could look around and consider some newer models coz the 407 and camry also launched quite some time d. The current camry generation was launched way back in 2006 and i believe the new generation should be out next year since jap's car life cycle abt 4-5 yrs only.
J.Y