Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Car Replacement, What Car To Buy?

• Please log in to reply

Naj

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

Naj

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
Hi guys,

First of all, happy new year to all celebrating.
I have come to a T-junction right now, can't decide to turn right or left.
I'm planning to sell my Audi A4 (B5). The car is in good condition,comfortable, still have the handsome look,etc. Fully paid too.
A thought of selling just crossed my mind out of nowhere. Maybe im just afraid about the resale value later and perhaps parts availability. So I have 2 options as below:

Option1- Keep the car and just bear what ever the cost later.(can't afford to bear all actually)

Option2- Sell the car,get another car(doesn't mean it has to be new). May you suggest what car to get to replace the A4 without spending to much and add burden for the parts later yet I get the same comfort and enjoyable driving. I have few in the list.

Alfa 147 manual
BMW E46 318i/320i/325i
Mini Cooper 0ne manual(first batch of the new mini)
New Mazda3
New Honda City
New Ford Focus

I hope you guys can share some thoughts and suggestion here. So should I keep the A4? If sell, what car should I replace with?

Thanks in advance.

Naj

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

Naj

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
Anyone?
Please advise if im putting the post at a wrong thread.
thank you

Dogbert

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:22 PM

Dogbert

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 669 posts
What's your budget for the replacement should you sell your A4 ?

Naj

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:50 AM

Naj

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
Hi there,
thanks for the reply. I dont have a specific budget but anything in the range of 40k-80k would be good. Above 80k-120k would be...a lil pain.

lancer1981

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:50 PM

lancer1981

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts
BMW E46. A good car but you have to be careful whether previous owner just followed the required service and this will caused sludge built-up. It can be so bad that you may need an engine replacement. My friend recommended me to get one but you have to buy one with complete service history and the owner also carried out additional service for the car. E46 318 will be under power so get a higher cc but road tax higher too.

Mini Cooper One. Are you referring to Mini Cooper and Mini One? 1st generation new MINI have some quality issues and yes the manual transmission has less problems. If you decide to get a MINI try to buy one closer to year 2007 the later ones have less quality issues compared with the earlier ones. Personally I will not buy the automatic model.

Between the above 2 cars I take the E46. The MINI is a very good car to drive than the E46 but if you get a bad one (MINI) you will get lots of headache. You can also check out the comments regarding the E46 here.

Buying a new car will have less problems compared to a used one. This is just my thoughts.
Have wheels will ride, beats walking.

Naj

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:23 AM

Naj

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
QUOTE (lancer1981 @ Feb 25 2010, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BMW E46. A good car but you have to be careful whether previous owner just followed the required service and this will caused sludge built-up. It can be so bad that you may need an engine replacement. My friend recommended me to get one but you have to buy one with complete service history and the owner also carried out additional service for the car. E46 318 will be under power so get a higher cc but road tax higher too.

Mini Cooper One. Are you referring to Mini Cooper and Mini One? 1st generation new MINI have some quality issues and yes the manual transmission has less problems. If you decide to get a MINI try to buy one closer to year 2007 the later ones have less quality issues compared with the earlier ones. Personally I will not buy the automatic model.

Between the above 2 cars I take the E46. The MINI is a very good car to drive than the E46 but if you get a bad one (MINI) you will get lots of headache. You can also check out the comments regarding the E46 here.

Buying a new car will have less problems compared to a used one. This is just my thoughts.

Hi Lancer,
thanks for your kind reply.

Yes, i've called some of the E46 seller and yes, some have done extra service to clear the sludge problem.
Price are very competitive.

As for the MINI, im referring to MINI One. yes, Ive heard the quality issue but I guess, i'm fine with it. the new ones are still expensive, not worth to get I guess. With that price, I can get a good condition E46.

After doing some calculations and budget, I think monthly installment for car price range from 50k-80k is comfortable for me. Higher might put me is pain if problems arise. If this is the case, what conti car is likely to be recommended? Sometime that I would be bored driving it and not giving much problem for at least another 4-5 years.

jepakazoid

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

jepakazoid

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

How about peugeot 308 VTi or eve the turbo version since you have listed New mazda 3 and honda city in ur list? The price should be competitive to these two models.

lancer1981

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

lancer1981

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts
How about Suzuki Swift?
Have wheels will ride, beats walking.

Naj

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

Naj

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
hi,
thanks for the suggestions. I dont really like the look for the 308, more to like girly design.
As for the swift, my other half is driving that car so ...no point buying the same car. smile.gif

is the alfa 147 alright?

johnchan06

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

johnchan06

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
Dear all,

Actually im looking at some used audi A4 1.8, saw few car yesterday, years 1996-1997! thinking to exchange my current sentra1.5 2001 car!

Any recommendation bout the A4 1.8?? Is the maintenance really high and do they give lots of problem??? Hope you guys can reply fast cos thinking to get one soon???

Thanks in advance