Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Car Tire Pressure Gauge

• Please log in to reply

Tourist

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
While I do find the new digital pump at petrol station a huge leap in improvement over the old dial type, I have reason to believe I have encountered one that I strongly suspect to be unreliable.

I did read online saying the 'stick' type of hand held gauge are not reliable and should go for the dial type. But I have so far nothing much to complain about the 'stick' type PCL that I been using for years.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

vernond

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

vernond

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Feb 24 2010, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I do find the new digital pump at petrol station a huge leap in improvement over the old dial type, I have reason to believe I have encountered one that I strongly suspect to be unreliable.

One pump actually deflated my tyres so you can imagine how well they are maintained.

lelong.com.my/friendlystore

vr2turbo

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Feb 24 2010, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did read online saying the 'stick' type of hand held gauge are not reliable and should go for the dial type. But I have so far nothing much to complain about the 'stick' type PCL that I been using for years.

Whether dial type or stick type of gauge depends on the brand also and whether their calibration is correct.
I had a dial type before and at the end there was a screw sort of dial for you to tune the pressure.
I went and match it against my friend's tyre shop Michelin one..... smile_thumbup.gif

QUOTE (vernond @ Feb 24 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One pump actually deflated my tyres so you can imagine how well they are maintained.

You kept the pump thing on even though it was releasing air??

vernond

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

vernond

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Feb 24 2010, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You kept the pump thing on even though it was releasing air??

Of course not, I drove to a different pump, with a slightly deflated tyres.

lelong.com.my/friendlystore

vr2turbo

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:00 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (vernond @ Feb 25 2010, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course not, I drove to a different pump, with a slightly deflated tyres.

ha! ha! yaloh, some station pumps are that bad. The Esso in Shah Alam, Digital one not working, the dial one really out.
I tried once, dial 34psi, but found it bumpy. Check with gauge shows 40+ psi...... smile_shock.gif

lancer1981

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:14 PM

lancer1981

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts
I have stopped going to petrol station to pump air, now using bicycle pump (very good exercise lo smile_big.gif ) when I first bought the tire gauge did not check the accuracy and then my tires wear not so even. So visited Petronas and Shell to compare. Now I add one psi to the my required tire pressure for daily use, add 3 psi when travelling outstation.
Have wheels will ride, beats walking.

vr2turbo

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (lancer1981 @ Feb 25 2010, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have stopped going to petrol station to pump air, now using bicycle pump (very good exercise lo smile_big.gif ) when I first bought the tire gauge did not check the accuracy and then my tires wear not so even. So visited Petronas and Shell to compare. Now I add one psi to the my required tire pressure for daily use, add 3 psi when travelling outstation.

But for my tyre size of 215/45/R17, using the bicycle takes too long.....tried before....ha! ha!

Yup, that is one way to verify and compare your gauge accuracy and then add accordingly if the gauge cannot be adjusted.
Yes, for outstation add 2psi more..... smile_thumbup.gif

lancer1981

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

lancer1981

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Feb 27 2010, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But for my tyre size of 215/45/R17, using the bicycle takes too long.....tried before....ha! ha!

Yup, that is one way to verify and compare your gauge accuracy and then add accordingly if the gauge cannot be adjusted.
Yes, for outstation add 2psi more..... smile_thumbup.gif

I bought this bicycle pump with a cylinder at the base of the pump (don't know what is the name). The cylinder gets pressurize as I pumped. Generally between 6 to 12 pumps, depend on the tire size, equal 1psi. It is not so bad have been doing that for many years beats going to petrol station and the pump is out of order. smile_big.gif
Have wheels will ride, beats walking.

vr2turbo

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:54 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (lancer1981 @ Feb 27 2010, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought this bicycle pump with a cylinder at the base of the pump (don't know what is the name). The cylinder gets pressurize as I pumped. Generally between 6 to 12 pumps, depend on the tire size, equal 1psi. It is not so bad have been doing that for many years beats going to petrol station and the pump is out of order. smile_big.gif

Including getting some exercise to go with it....... smile_thumbup.gif smile_big.gif

tiger1986

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

tiger1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
I usually pump mine using air compressor, then measure using the stick type gauge, release to the correct pressure.

But recently my dad moved the air compressor to a inconvenient place, so I started to use petrol station air pumps again. sad.gif Usually pump 36PSI, go home, cold night release to correct pressure.