Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Semi Or Fully: Oil Change For Every 5k Km...

• Please log in to reply

darthkir

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

darthkir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi,

My new 2.0 litre car will need to be send for servicing every 5k. The question is; will I benefit most from fully synthetic oil or semi-synthetic in terms of cost, performance increase etc.?

vr2turbo

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (darthkir @ Jan 13 2010, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

My new 2.0 litre car will need to be send for servicing every 5k. The question is; will I benefit most from fully synthetic oil or semi-synthetic in terms of cost, performance increase etc.?

Your 2.0 is NA or force induction?
In protection, FS should be the best, but cost effective to change at 5k km seems to be on the expensive side.
If can afford keep to FS, if not then semi or if you want Mineral are also good enough for 5k km OCI

darthkir

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

darthkir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 13 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your 2.0 is NA or force induction?
In protection, FS should be the best, but cost effective to change at 5k km seems to be on the expensive side.
If can afford keep to FS, if not then semi or if you want Mineral are also good enough for 5k km OCI

What is NA or force induction? I drive a 2.0 litre Hyundai Avante/Elantra.

Will i feel the actual difference (performance & FC)?

vr2turbo

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (darthkir @ Jan 13 2010, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is NA or force induction? I drive a 2.0 litre Hyundai Avante/Elantra.

Will i feel the actual difference (performance & FC)?

Ha! ha! sorry, so used to use that in Car Mod posting. NA is normal aspirated and force induction is like turbo and super charged.

What is your recommend viscosity for your new ride? Some will change to FS using a lighter viscosity, therefore the engine feels lighter thus having slightly better performance. As for FC depends on your right foot....ha! ha! smile_big.gif

darthkir

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:57 PM

darthkir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
found this;

a 2-year motor oil test done on 75 New York taxi cabs in 1996 showed no significant nor any discernable differences whatsoever between using regular motor oil with a package of additives versus synthetic motor oil in terms of performance, sludge buildup, and wear and tear. It's a tie or in other words it looks to be more of a matter of financial capabilities whether a motorist can afford the overly expensive price of synthetic oil mostly for the peace of mind since apparently synthetic oil is practically no better and no worse than regular motor oil with additives. A partial copy of the Consumer Reports article titled "The surprising truth about motor oils" can be found at URL: http://www.moneyblue...s.oilchange.php

gunner93

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

gunner93

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
When you see your turbine housing glowing red hot and the oil has to lubricate the shaft spooling above 100,000RPM , you begin to appreciate why you have to invest in FS. smile_approve.gif

"Less Booze, More Boost" 

http://gunner93.multiply.com

Tourist

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (darthkir @ Jan 13 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
found this;

a 2-year motor oil test done on 75 New York taxi cabs in 1996 showed no significant nor any discernable differences whatsoever between using regular motor oil with a package of additives versus synthetic motor oil in terms of performance, sludge buildup, and wear and tear. It's a tie or in other words it looks to be more of a matter of financial capabilities whether a motorist can afford the overly expensive price of synthetic oil mostly for the peace of mind since apparently synthetic oil is practically no better and no worse than regular motor oil with additives. A partial copy of the Consumer Reports article titled "The surprising truth about motor oils" can be found at URL: http://www.moneyblue...s.oilchange.php

That is why I don't use Fully Synthetic. But there are all sort of people spreading the myth that FS can last longer which is ridiculous. It's like saying buying a twice as expensive condom can make us last twice as long smile_clown.gif

And there are others who have money to burn so I suppose it's their money.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

vr2turbo

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (gunner93 @ Jan 13 2010, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you see your turbine housing glowing red hot and the oil has to lubricate the shaft spooling above 100,000RPM , you begin to appreciate why you have to invest in FS. smile_approve.gif

That is why it bores down to application. NA engine don't need FS oil, unless owner wants a lighter viscosity oil..... smile_tongue.gif

Tourist

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (gunner93 @ Jan 13 2010, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many turbo diesel (hotter than petrol engine) says no need for FS, even huge Scania trucks. So none of us uses FS and never any problem.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

vr2turbo

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Jan 14 2010, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many turbo diesel (hotter than petrol engine) says no need for FS, even huge Scania trucks. So none of us uses FS and never any problem.

Turbo diesel engines runs hotter, but petrol turbine runs hotter because they rotate many more times that of the diesel turbo...
As for the engine oil, minerals can be used for turbo engine, but some prefer FS, as they have higher flash point.... smile_thumbup.gif