Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Head Unit And Speakers Recommendation

• Please log in to reply

tiger1986

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:08 AM

tiger1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
My car is 1.6 Wira 1996. Right now everything still stock, cassette player, 4x speakers with one spoilt speaker. Recently I DIY replaced the spoiled one with new model Lancer stock speaker. xD (Singapore friend upgraded to Xplod, so gave me his old one)

I have totally no knowledge in car entertainment system, except knowing that Sony is good and knowing quite a bit in pro audio engineering (E.g. PA system and Concert Hall setup). So please advise/recommend.

I am looking for the following features:
-Support MP3, WMA, AAC file formats via USB
-1 DIN form factor
-Supports 4 channels for 2 front 2 rear.
-Ability to control the loudness balance between front and back speakers (I think that is fade, not sure the correct term)
-FM Radio (Standard I guess)
-At least 15W per channel

Please recommend a good head unit that I can use. Something mid range is not too expensive, or too cheap until it is so lousy. All I need is reasonable sound quality coming out of USB storage. I don't need CD or those boom box setup.

Should I change speakers? Please give your best advices and recommendations.

The head unit I have cannot adjust loudness balance between front and back. Does this means I need to rewire the speakers all over?

There is an accessory outlet branded "BROTHERS" near my house and I stay in Skudai Johor. If possible, please advise products that are within easy reach. I don't want to go all the way to KL just to install something not available here.

drexchan

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:42 AM

drexchan

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts
1. Sony is not really a strong brand in car audio.
2. Brother's is not a good place to spend your money.
3. Most decent mid-range HU supports MP3 and WMA through USB
4. Most decent HU gives you >10RMS Watt/channel
5. Most HU has 4-channel output, with Bal/Fad control
6. All HU has FM radio, with exception of some very high-end professional machines.
7. Subwoofers are not for madness loudness.
8. No HU that has USB but no CD, it's not a matter of want or not, it's default.
9. Most probably that you will need to rewire the speakers.
10. Factory-fitted speakers are far from decent sounding.
11. Without an amplifier, expensive speakers are useless.
12. Good shop are not all in KL, and not all shops here are good.
13. No recommendation on brand will be given (conflict of interest), but
14. As long as you are happy, go by your budget.

tiger1986

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:06 AM

tiger1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
QUOTE (drexchan @ Jan 2 2010, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. Brother's is not a good place to spend your money.

I need more opinions for Brother's.

artemus

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:24 AM

artemus

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

dunno how to link..but theres a thread in lowyat/ice..discussing bout brothers.. some testimonial..im sure u wont think about brothers again..

sifu drex

n0.8... ive noticed some clarion hu model that doesnt have cd player but using BT/sd n usb..forget what model..
cheap and fast wont be reliable
fast and reliable wont b cheap
reliable and cheap wont be fast

tiger1986

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

tiger1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
QUOTE (artemus @ Jan 2 2010, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dunno how to link..but theres a thread in lowyat/ice..discussing bout brothers.. some testimonial..im sure u wont think about brothers again..

sifu drex

n0.8... ive noticed some clarion hu model that doesnt have cd player but using BT/sd n usb..forget what model..

Okie I can avoid Brother's for car audio. I think will DIY install. I think their problem is the lack of understanding electrical engineering. Audio stuff if not experienced very easy to go wrong with polarity one and channels mix up. (That is my experience in audio engineering)

Just wondering, is their tinting good?

limking

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

limking

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts
QUOTE (tiger1986 @ Jan 2 2010, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okie I can avoid Brother's for car audio. I think will DIY install. I think their problem is the lack of understanding electrical engineering. Audio stuff if not experienced very easy to go wrong with polarity one and channels mix up. (That is my experience in audio engineering)

Just wondering, is their tinting good?

If you're from JB suggested you should go to Sim Lim Tower ,S'pore for your car audio system parts , prices are much more lower than here even with the currency rate high right now . More branded choices but cheaper . Installation can be done back here in JB .here that Winn Audio opposite Ocean at Tmn Sentosa does a good job but price wise ????
If I were you , I'll avoid Brothers on any installation works . Perhaps can buy stuff from them if there's promotions , otherwise straightly out of my way .
PATIENCE !!! PATIENCE !!! PATIENCE !!! IT'LL GET YOU THE BEST WHEN TIME IS RIGHT AND SO WILL BE THE PRICE

drexchan

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

drexchan

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts
QUOTE (tiger1986 @ Jan 2 2010, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think their problem is the lack of understanding electrical engineering. Audio stuff if not experienced very easy to go wrong with polarity one and channels mix up. (That is my experience in audio engineering)

Channels are color coded and phases are labelled. Channels can be verified with Fad/Bal function and phase can be verified with a phase tester. Even without a phase tester, experienced ears can tell if the speakers are in or out of phase.

One don't need an engineering degree to get the phase and channels right. Just basic.

fkmfkm

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (drexchan @ Jan 2 2010, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Channels are color coded and phases are labelled. Channels can be verified with Fad/Bal function and phase can be verified with a phase tester. Even without a phase tester, experienced ears can tell if the speakers are in or out of phase.

One don't need an engineering degree to get the phase and channels right. Just basic.

Drex..do u know where can buy one phase checker ?

drexchan

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

drexchan

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts
QUOTE (fkmfkm @ Jan 2 2010, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Drex..do u know where can buy one phase checker ?

My supplier. tongue.gif, but we don't sell that.

tiger1986

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

tiger1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
QUOTE (limking @ Jan 2 2010, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're from JB suggested you should go to Sim Lim Tower ,S'pore for your car audio system parts , prices are much more lower than here even with the currency rate high right now . More branded choices but cheaper . Installation can be done back here in JB .here that Winn Audio opposite Ocean at Tmn Sentosa does a good job but price wise ????
If I were you , I'll avoid Brothers on any installation works . Perhaps can buy stuff from them if there's promotions , otherwise straightly out of my way .

Already checked price at SLT. They do have better models but at a higher price. Otherwise, most products are more or less the same price.

FYI I used to work at SLS (Just opposite SLT).

But I might go SungBeng (http://www.sungbeng.com/) to get my head unit + speakers. Friend's friend shop.