Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Car Warranty Void After Accident?

• Please log in to reply

yeosan

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

yeosan

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
Dear all,

I had an car accident last 2 months, badly hit by a lorry from opposite road. (Proton Persona - 10months old). After almost 2 months of waiting, my car is finally out from workshop. Last weekend, I sent my car to Proton service for service and was informed by the service centre that my car warranty is void because accident. Is it true?? Anyone of you have the same experience?? Thanks.

Jumpman23

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:21 PM

Jumpman23

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
If it is sent to appointed workshop and proper claiming is done. There is no such bull shit as void unless you send to other service panel.

Tourist

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
This is what I would do if I were in your situation.

Even though Proton SC is not listed as an appointed insurance workshop, the fact that this car is still under Proton warranty makes Proton SC an automatically insurance appointed workshop (even though there is no black & white and is a little known fact). By sending the damaged car to Proton SC, your Proton warranty will remain intact.

Now we know many Proton SC do not have facilities and ability to repair badly damaged car. So if Proton SC want to sub-contract out the work to other workshop, it is non of our concern because our contract is purely with Proton SC.

Been there. Done that.

There may be other ways to maintain Proton warranty after accident that I don't know about.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

Tourist

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (Jumpman23 @ Dec 7 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it is sent to appointed workshop and proper claiming is done. There is no such bull shit as void unless you send to other service panel.

If that appointed workshop is a Proton SC, then yes, it is bull shit. But if it isn't a Proton workshop, why should they honor Proton's warranty? This is because we all know, for warranty to remain intact, ALL work/repair/service must be done by Proton SC which clearly wasn't the case here.

Since the repair was done by the workshop, most insurance workshop has to give you3 or 6 months warranty on the work they do. But on work they didn't do, they will of course not honor it.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

Jumpman23

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

Jumpman23

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
If that appointed workshop is a Proton SC, then yes, it is bull shit. But if it isn't a Proton workshop, why should they honor Proton's warranty? This is because we all know, for warranty to remain intact, ALL work/repair/service must be done by Proton SC which clearly wasn't the case here.

Since the repair was done by the workshop, most insurance workshop has to give you3 or 6 months warranty on the work they do. But on work they didn't do, they will of course not honor it.

Next time, if anyone here were to buy a Proton, make sure you get a written consent that all car after accident and is repaired, will get the same clause treatment as per warranty booklets.

Check with the Salesman, and technician.

Tourist

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (Jumpman23 @ Dec 8 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Next time, if anyone here were to buy a Proton, make sure you get a written consent that all car after accident and is repaired, will get the same clause treatment as per warranty booklets.

Check with the Salesman, and technician.

Not only Proton. If you have a damaged Toyota, best take it back to Toyota for repair. If you have a Nissan, best take it back to Nissan. If you have a KIA, best take it back to KIA etc. AFAIK, that is the best method to ensure your Toyota/Nissan/KIA warranty remain intact after an accident.

V406198

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:49 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Dec 8 2009, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not only Proton. If you have a damaged Toyota, best take it back to Toyota for repair. If you have a Nissan, best take it back to Nissan. If you have a KIA, best take it back to KIA etc. AFAIK, that is the best method to ensure your Toyota/Nissan/KIA warranty remain intact after an accident.

That is not true as quoted by tourist , recently i got very bad accident on my 1 1/2 years old Suzuki Grand Vitara and first was sent to authorized workshop in sungai penchala but was told the repair might take up to 6 months...shit ! so tow it to jalan 222 when a reputable independence workshop that was my insurance panel and it took about 2 months plus to done the job and understand during the repair the new parts ordering & software setting was done through a authorized dealer/workshop near by ( mean Suzuki dealer are aware about my car was accident ) and few week back went to the same authorized dealer/workshop for interval service, their still honest my warranty with free replacement parts & free service....which still under 3 years warranty.

2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.

Tourist

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (V406198 @ Dec 8 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is not true as quoted by tourist , recently i got very bad accident on my 1 1/2 years old Suzuki Grand Vitara and first was sent to authorized workshop in sungai penchala but was told the repair might take up to 6 months...shit ! so tow it to jalan 222 when a reputable independence workshop that was my insurance panel and it took about 2 months plus to done the job and understand during the repair the new parts ordering & software setting was done through a authorized dealer/workshop near by ( mean Suzuki dealer are aware about my car was accident ) and few week back went to the same authorized dealer/workshop for interval service, their still honest my warranty with free replacement parts & free service....which still under 3 years warranty.

May I ask is this authorized dealer an authorized Suzuki dealer? If no, I don't think Suzuki will honor your warranty or need to. If yes, then it sort of fit into what I said, i.e., authorized Suzuki people must be involved to maintain your warranty. And Toyota people must be involved to maintain Toyota car. And Nissan people must be involved for Nissan car etc.

V406198

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Dec 8 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
May I ask is this authorized dealer an authorized Suzuki dealer? If no, I don't think Suzuki will honor your warranty or need to. If yes, then it sort of fit into what I said, i.e., authorized Suzuki people must be involved to maintain your warranty. And Toyota people must be involved to maintain Toyota car. And Nissan people must be involved for Nissan car etc.

Hahaha...but your early massage are sound differently by saying any accident car must send back to their authorized dealer/workshop for repair to get the valid warranty going on... now you are saying differently to "Maintain" to get valid warranty ? anyway my points is when accident happen the repair is NOT necessary to be done by authorized dealer /workshop if you had confirmed this warranty issue with your car dealer. that what i had done.

BTW my early posting are crystal clear mean... Authorized dealer/workshop = Suzuki authorized dealer/workshop,
2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.

Tourist

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (V406198 @ Dec 8 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahaha...but your early massage are sound differently by saying any accident car must send back to their authorized dealer/workshop for repair to get the valid warranty going on... now you are saying differently to "Maintain" to get valid warranty ? anyway my points is when accident happen the repair is NOT necessary to be done by authorized dealer /workshop if you had confirmed this warranty issue with your car dealer. that what i had done.

BTW my early posting are crystal clear mean... Authorized dealer/workshop = Suzuki authorized dealer/workshop,

You got it wrong. I did not use the word "MUST". I used the word "best" because repair/claim are all done by the same official SC.