Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Help Needed For Sentra 1.6 A Maintenance

• Please log in to reply

sentra786

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

sentra786

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Dear experts,

I'm driving a sentra 1.6 A (2005 model). And its due for servicing for mileage clocking at 50,000km. Based on the service booklet of Nissan, these are the items to be done;

1. Lube service
2. Change power steering fluid
3. Change brake oil
4. Change brake pad
5. Change alternator belt
6. Change power steering belt

FYI, I've changed my power steering fluid at 25,000km and brake oil at 30,000km. The transmission/gear oil was changed at 40,000km.

Can anyone please enlighten me the interval period of each oil change for sentra (ie power steering fluid,brake oil and transmission oil)?

Do I really have to change the brake pad, alternator belt and power steering belt now or any recommendation?

What is the interval to change spark plug and air filter? Last time I changed it at 40,000km.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

fooyc

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:40 AM

fooyc

N20 Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,573 posts
QUOTE (sentra786 @ Dec 1 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear experts,

I'm driving a sentra 1.6 A (2005 model). And its due for servicing for mileage clocking at 50,000km. Based on the service booklet of Nissan, these are the items to be done;

1. Lube service
2. Change power steering fluid
3. Change brake oil
4. Change brake pad
5. Change alternator belt
6. Change power steering belt

FYI, I've changed my power steering fluid at 25,000km and brake oil at 30,000km. The transmission/gear oil was changed at 40,000km.

Can anyone please enlighten me the interval period of each oil change for sentra (ie power steering fluid,brake oil and transmission oil)?

Do I really have to change the brake pad, alternator belt and power steering belt now or any recommendation?

What is the interval to change spark plug and air filter? Last time I changed it at 40,000km.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Firstly I don't claim to be a Nissan nor N16 Sentra expert, just shared what I know having own 2 Sentras at home for the past 6years each.

1. P/Steering fluid, you can actually do it every 40K km interval, when the 2nd round of ATF fluid(best drain/filled every 20K km) due for change.
2. Brake oil and service is also best to kept it at every 20K km interval.
3. ATF Fluid (like I mentioned in item 1), is best to kept at 20K km interval if possible, otherwise, please make sure you are
using Nissan Matic-D ATF fluid, should you wish to retain the 40K km interval. TCEAS supplied Castrol ATF is not suitable for our car.
4. Brake pad, is depending on your wear/tear rate. No fixed interval. Get your mechanic to check. If you are using the genuine Nissan-Hitachi Japan brake pad, they should well last you into 60-80K km range, no sweat.
5. Belts. They are 2 there, one is 6PK (the lengthy and big one), another is 4PK. BOTH, is also depending on your wear rate. Technically, the original Nissan Japan parts, again, should last well into 80K km range, before the rib showing signs of crack. Again, check to tell.
6. Spark plug. The stock are the BKR5E plugs. 20K km is preferred, or depending on the wear rate on the tip again. I have long stop using BKR5E, preferably is the 4x more costly Cefiro plugs, PFRG6-11, approx 30-40bucks each. Platinum tip and rated to last well into 80-100K km range.
7. Air filter. Again, wear rate. Those who tend to drive a lot of trunk road do see the filter element gets dirty pretty fast. Make sure every service the mechanic takes it out, and blow off the dust. They should technically see at least a 20K km lifespan. I definitely won't make fun of this to stretch to 40K, your call mate.

BTW, these are merely my opinions. I don't follow down to the dot as per TCEAS manual, my maintenance tend to be more stringent than theirs most of the time and more costly no doubt. Just my 2cents.....
Please don't PM me.

sentra786

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

sentra786

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
QUOTE (fooyc @ Dec 2 2009, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly I don't claim to be a Nissan nor N16 Sentra expert, just shared what I know having own 2 Sentras at home for the past 6years each.

1. P/Steering fluid, you can actually do it every 40K km interval, when the 2nd round of ATF fluid(best drain/filled every 20K km) due for change.
2. Brake oil and service is also best to kept it at every 20K km interval.
3. ATF Fluid (like I mentioned in item 1), is best to kept at 20K km interval if possible, otherwise, please make sure you are
using Nissan Matic-D ATF fluid, should you wish to retain the 40K km interval. TCEAS supplied Castrol ATF is not suitable for our car.
4. Brake pad, is depending on your wear/tear rate. No fixed interval. Get your mechanic to check. If you are using the genuine Nissan-Hitachi Japan brake pad, they should well last you into 60-80K km range, no sweat.
5. Belts. They are 2 there, one is 6PK (the lengthy and big one), another is 4PK. BOTH, is also depending on your wear rate. Technically, the original Nissan Japan parts, again, should last well into 80K km range, before the rib showing signs of crack. Again, check to tell.
6. Spark plug. The stock are the BKR5E plugs. 20K km is preferred, or depending on the wear rate on the tip again. I have long stop using BKR5E, preferably is the 4x more costly Cefiro plugs, PFRG6-11, approx 30-40bucks each. Platinum tip and rated to last well into 80-100K km range.
7. Air filter. Again, wear rate. Those who tend to drive a lot of trunk road do see the filter element gets dirty pretty fast. Make sure every service the mechanic takes it out, and blow off the dust. They should technically see at least a 20K km lifespan. I definitely won't make fun of this to stretch to 40K, your call mate.

BTW, these are merely my opinions. I don't follow down to the dot as per TCEAS manual, my maintenance tend to be more stringent than theirs most of the time and more costly no doubt. Just my 2cents.....

Thanks Fooyc smile_thumbup.gif

The last time I was sending my car to TCEAS for service (but my own supply, bought at Sim Ghee, Jln Ipoh). I guess they supply the original parts with a better price. TCEAS prices are sky high !!! Now after the warranty period, I'm planning just to send my car to workshops outside - I guess N16 is not a very complex car so most of the workshop would be able to do the servicing.

Sorry again if I ask very basic question here;

1. Brake oil - which is the recommended brand (Dot 4 isn't?). Do I need 4 litre?
2. Power steering oil - this is Nissan Matic D ATF right? How many bottles/litres I need? What about 'flushing' it? What are the things that I need to purchase in order to service the power steering?
3. Transmission oil - this is also Nissan Matic D ATF right? How many bottles/litres I need? What about 'flushing' it? What are the things that I need to purchase in order to service the gear box?

Thanks

fooyc

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:08 AM

fooyc

N20 Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,573 posts
QUOTE (sentra786 @ Dec 2 2009, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Brake oil - which is the recommended brand (Dot 4 isn't?). Do I need 4 litre?
2. Power steering oil - this is Nissan Matic D ATF right? How many bottles/litres I need? What about 'flushing' it? What are the things that I need to purchase in order to service the power steering?
3. Transmission oil - this is also Nissan Matic D ATF right? How many bottles/litres I need? What about 'flushing' it? What are the things that I need to purchase in order to service the gear box?

1. TCEAS supplied Castrol Dot 3 suffice. If you are adventurous, may try the Dot 4. 2 bottles is at max you need when doing brake fluid bleeding work.
2. P/Steering oil, yes, Matic-D 1 bottle. But if you use TCEAS Wynn's flush machine, take the Wynn's flusher fluid together as well. So, juz bring a bottle of Matic-D will do.
3. ATF, yes, Matic-D. 4 bottles (1L per bottle) for drain/filled. As for machine flushing, you need approx 7-8bottles. I never did machine flushing before, as my ATF only use for 20K km before I dump it off.
Please don't PM me.

maui303q

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

maui303q

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
QUOTE (fooyc @ Dec 3 2009, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. TCEAS supplied Castrol Dot 3 suffice. If you are adventurous, may try the Dot 4. 2 bottles is at max you need when doing brake fluid bleeding work.
2. P/Steering oil, yes, Matic-D 1 bottle. But if you use TCEAS Wynn's flush machine, take the Wynn's flusher fluid together as well. So, juz bring a bottle of Matic-D will do.
3. ATF, yes, Matic-D. 4 bottles (1L per bottle) for drain/filled. As for machine flushing, you need approx 7-8bottles. I never did machine flushing before, as my ATF only use for 20K km before I dump it off.

I would suggest anyone to stick to unker foo's advise on the service for their N16. I'm being too advanterous and experiencing lots of funny things with my 1.8 N16

1. Brake pads stick to hitachi.
2. ATF stick to D Matic.
3. Best to use Nissan genuine parts as they really lasts longer.
Vrooom Vroom...

fkmfkm

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:01 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (maui303q @ Dec 6 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would suggest anyone to stick to unker foo's advise on the service for their N16. I'm being too advanterous and experiencing lots of funny things with my 1.8 N16

1. Brake pads stick to hitachi.
2. ATF stick to D Matic.
3. Best to use Nissan genuine parts as they really lasts longer.

errr..funny things ? need agent mulder ?

ManU

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:29 AM

ManU

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
popcorn / foo

when u engage hard braking on your n16, does it come with some sort of kluk kluk sounds ? no sound if just normal braking, only hear it when u brake hard and long... where could be the sound comes from ?

fooyc

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:21 AM

fooyc

N20 Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,573 posts
QUOTE (ManU @ Dec 10 2009, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
popcorn / foo

when u engage hard braking on your n16, does it come with some sort of kluk kluk sounds ? no sound if just normal braking, only hear it when u brake hard and long... where could be the sound comes from ?

If your car has the ABS installed, it could well be ABS activated. Which kinda hard to tell for me, I never had to activate the ABS..Otherwise, it could be the stupid caliper again, time to regrease or replace a new pin.
Please don't PM me.

ManU

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

ManU

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
QUOTE (fooyc @ Dec 10 2009, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your car has the ABS installed, it could well be ABS activated. Which kinda hard to tell for me, I never had to activate the ABS..Otherwise, it could be the stupid caliper again, time to regrease or replace a new pin.

foo
the car doesnt has ABS, could it be the stupid caliper issue ? but just 8k ++ milleage only wo ? but it didnt happen all the time, sometimes u brake hard and long also, wouldnt hear it ... maybe will ask the SC to check it on next coming service ..
before this i heard u mentioned about the n16 rear suspension wrongly setup, does it mean its rear suspension belongs to easily rosak type ?
whats the rpm reading for your 1.8 at speed 110km/h ?

fkmfkm

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (ManU @ Dec 11 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
foo
the car doesnt has ABS, could it be the stupid caliper issue ? but just 8k ++ milleage only wo ? but it didnt happen all the time, sometimes u brake hard and long also, wouldnt hear it ... maybe will ask the SC to check it on next coming service ..
before this i heard u mentioned about the n16 rear suspension wrongly setup, does it mean its rear suspension belongs to easily rosak type ?
whats the rpm reading for your 1.8 at speed 110km/h ?

dont worry wont rosak so fast one...haha...can last at least 200K..