Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Advice for detailing newbie/newcome

• Please log in to reply

kayye

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:37 PM

kayye

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Hi guys, thanks for all the tips!

Bro g88
Yeah, I was considering purchasing MG stuff as it's so easily available OTC (mainly NXT Wash for shampoo, NXT Wax 2.0/M21 2.0 for sealant and M16 for wax, then maintain with UQW or UQD). Buttttt..... the price really costly la. So I thought of asking around first for alternatives, and I'm glad I did smile_big.gif . Sheessh, I should have asked earlier which would have saved me a quite a bit on the detailing tools...

Bro jackson
Thanks for the welcome and the useful links. Your recommendation of DG really spot on! Been doing a little reading up of my own on DG, and it seems to be getting really good reviews! From what I can read, not only does it look good, it's actually more affordable and seems to be easy to apply and remove - a plus for a newbie like me. I think my next big splurge will be on DG stuff liao...

Couple of questions: I'm sold on 501 and 105 - deffo will buy these 2. But is 601 a good buy? Considering getting 951 for maintenance in between washes. Just wondering whether 951 is fine to be applied on surfaces other than paintwork like black trim, unpainted bumper lip, headlight/taillight, windscreen/rearscreen/side windows? Am also keen on getting 901 as my wash shampoo - anyone used it yet?

After looking at their microfiber prices, I feel like kicking myself smile_disapprove.gif . Could have saved a bundle if I had bought DG, rather than MG. Oh well...

Too bad there's no QD from DG here yet...

Bro fishbonez
Osren? Thanks for the tip. Where can I get it? Any difference in using 901 as opposed to Bubble and Wax? The Multi Clean sounds interesting. If diluted right, can I use it to clean my interior (dash, glove box, inside door panels, seats, carpeting, etc.)? Also, can it be used to clean wheels? Or would I be better off using a dedicated wheel cleaner? I've managed to budge off a significant amount of grime and brake dust in my last 2 washes, but there's a stubborn residue still visible. Was considering getting Autoglym Interior Shampoo for cleaning my interior and Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner/Autoglym Clean Wheels for my tyres.

For the black marks, I was thinking of maybe getting the worst of it off with a cleaning solution first, maybe Super Degreaser (anyone know where I can get it?) like Bro PuDeN suggested or Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner, or just a really strong dilution of APC. Then remove the residue via claying and whatever's left with Meg's Cleaner Wax or DG501 (if I have it when I detail my ride). If there's anything left over, then only I'll move to SwirlX to get rid of it.

Bro dschia
Opt ONR is the Optimum No Rinse Wash izzit? If so, I don't think I will get just yet, a bit too pricey for my tastes now smile_tongue.gif

Was thinking of getting either DG951 or MG UQW for quick wax, though swinging more to 951 as I will be using DG sealants.
For QD, any recommendations? Thinking of either MG QD or Turtle Wax Ultra Platinum QD. Actually atm, those 2 my only choices seeing as they're the only ones available OTC. ...

Bro vr2turbo
Looks like DG501 is a sealed on purchase for me now! smile_big.gif

And yeah, I was thinking of using cleaner wax, but only if cleaning solution and clay doesn't get it all off.

Also, anyone know where I can get my hands on a grit guard?

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Cheers,
Kayye

g88

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:56 PM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
More injection to him pls smile_big.gif

M16 is good stuff ..worth get it..else u can try 1000P (about same price of M16 also)

fishbonez

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:34 PM

fishbonez

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts
QUOTE (kayye @ Oct 29 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bro fishbonez
Osren? Thanks for the tip. Where can I get it? Any difference in using 901 as opposed to Bubble and Wax? The Multi Clean sounds interesting. If diluted right, can I use it to clean my interior (dash, glove box, inside door panels, seats, carpeting, etc.)? Also, can it be used to clean wheels? Or would I be better off using a dedicated wheel cleaner? I've managed to budge off a significant amount of grime and brake dust in my last 2 washes, but there's a stubborn residue still visible. Was considering getting Autoglym Interior Shampoo for cleaning my interior and Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner/Autoglym Clean Wheels for my tyres.

For the black marks, I was thinking of maybe getting the worst of it off with a cleaning solution first, maybe Super Degreaser (anyone know where I can get it?) like Bro PuDeN suggested or Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner, or just a really strong dilution of APC. Then remove the residue via claying and whatever's left with Meg's Cleaner Wax or DG501 (if I have it when I detail my ride). If there's anything left over, then only I'll move to SwirlX to get rid of it.

bro kayye,
Osren is a local detailing brand that manufactures their own products. They are aimed more for detailing shops and bodyshops, so not many DIY consumers are aware of this brand. If you want to purchase, you can do so directly from their HQ in Taman Wahyu.

First difference between Bubble and Wax is the price, I'm not sure how much exactly, but for 4 litres is around RM40-RM50. However, it is not as concentrated as the branded shampoos, so you have to pour more into your bucket. Even so, I worked it out and it still comes out cheaper per wash compared to other shampoos. Since DG901 is more concentrated, you get alot of foam from much lesser amount compared to bubble and wax, and also better lubricity. Bubble and Wax will feel lubricant only if you putting in more than the required amount to clean.

Also, you mentioned that you are looking for a shampoo with more oomph, these two shampoos clean well and have little negative effect on your waxes. A more 'oomph' shampoo would be Chemical Guys Citrus Wash n' Gloss, since the label states that it can be used for paintwork cleaning at a stronger dilution. However, this will affect the waxes on the surface as well.

So I would just prep and protect the paint properly, and wash with any normal shampoo, no need for extra 'oomph'

About the Multi Clean, it can be used for interiors, but I wouldn't, because as Krismas pointed out, it is a bit harder to rinse off compared to other APCs (e.g. Meguiar's APC). For tires, you can use at 1:1 dilution. For wheel wells and wheels, maybe try 2:1 or 3:1 dilution. My experience with this is that if you don't dilute enough, it can be very strong, but if you dilute it just a little bit more, it becomes too weak. If you have very stubborn brake dust on your rims, and acidic based cleaner such as Meguiar's Wheel Brightener would make the job much easier. If you wash your wheels often, normal shampoo will be enough to maintain the wheels after a thorough cleaning with a strong chemical.

For the interior, although I have no experience with the Autoglym Interior Cleaner, another sifu on here (sherwin) commented that it's just like an APC. So if you can, better to just ask some from any of us here, you only need 100ml (dilutable 10:1 for interior). 100ml will give you 1.1 litres of interior cleaning solution(Meguair's APC). I can provide you some if we have the chance to meet.

For the black marks, is it very severe?
If it's very light like this(not sure if it's even exhaust marks >.<)

Any paint cleaner/polish/AIO will do, such as your Swirlx or ICE Liquid Clay

In the picture, I used Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

littlevil

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

littlevil

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Oct 29 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More injection to him pls smile_big.gif

You're EVIL! 1.gif Argh.. sooner or later I will start collecting DG products smile_dead.gif

kayye

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

kayye

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Bro fishbonez

The black marks are really, really very severe. Unlike yours, I can't see the paint at all....

I've heard good things about Meg's APC. Will take you up on your generous offer if we ever do meet, thanks! happy.gif

I don't think that the brake dust residue on my rims are that severe to warrant an acidic based cleaner atm. Hmmm, maybe I'll try to see in the next wash whether I can get it off or not.

Eh pardon my ignorance, but when you say wheels, you are referring to the rims, whereas tires will be the rubber tyre izzit? Kind of blur there, sorry!

Thanks in advance.

vx55

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

vx55

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts
Hi Kayye,

As most has expressed their opinions, you will be better off with proper paintwork preparation than having a stronger shampoo.
Another product line that will be easy to use and maintain is Optimum. Use Poli-Seal first to lightly polish and clean the paintwork, then you can use either Optimum Car Wax or Optimum Opti-Seal as a wax or sealant.
By the way DG has 2 available QDs smile.gif

fishbonez

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:54 AM

fishbonez

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts
Hi Kayye,
Yup when I say wheels I was referring to the rims, and tires as in the rubber tyre. Sorry for not being specific blush.gif

jackson

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:20 AM

jackson

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
QUOTE (kayye @ Oct 29 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bro g88
Yeah, I was considering purchasing MG stuff as it's so easily available OTC (mainly NXT Wash for shampoo, NXT Wax 2.0/M21 2.0 for sealant and M16 for wax, then maintain with UQW or UQD). Buttttt..... the price really costly la. So I thought of asking around first for alternatives, and I'm glad I did smile_big.gif . Sheessh, I should have asked earlier which would have saved me a quite a bit on the detailing tools...

Bro jackson
Thanks for the welcome and the useful links. Your recommendation of DG really spot on! Been doing a little reading up of my own on DG, and it seems to be getting really good reviews! From what I can read, not only does it look good, it's actually more affordable and seems to be easy to apply and remove - a plus for a newbie like me. I think my next big splurge will be on DG stuff liao...
Couple of questions: I'm sold on 501 and 105 - deffo will buy these 2. But is 601 a good buy? Considering getting 951 for maintenance in between washes. Just wondering whether 951 is fine to be applied on surfaces other than paintwork like black trim, unpainted bumper lip, headlight/taillight, windscreen/rearscreen/side windows? Am also keen on getting 901 as my wash shampoo - anyone used it yet?
After looking at their microfiber prices, I feel like kicking myself smile_disapprove.gif . Could have saved a bundle if I had bought DG, rather than MG. Oh well...
Too bad there's no QD from DG here yet...
Was thinking of getting either DG951 or MG UQW for quick wax, though swinging more to 951 as I will be using DG sealants.
For QD, any recommendations? Thinking of either MG QD or Turtle Wax Ultra Platinum QD. Actually atm, those 2 my only choices seeing as they're the only ones available OTC. ...
Also, anyone know where I can get my hands on a grit guard?
Thanks for all the help, guys!
Cheers,
Kayye

QUOTE (vx55 @ Oct 30 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the way DG has 2 available QDs smile.gif

kayye,
DG have 2 QD. But the one mostly used and available here is DG521. It says it is marine product. But people around the region and US/UK have found that the result is like QD+extra.

About DG601, well, you can choose not have it. especially when budget is a concern.
But I have to say,
that with it,
your application of DG105 or DG501 AIO or whatever sealant or wax that you use after applying DG601 on the car body; the application of those item is easier, last longer, have a better result in terms of shine, gloss, durability.
without it,
save rm55. maybe save less if you get the promo bundle and get more discount for it.

about the mf that they have, since you're gonna get a bundle of stuff from DG, check out the promotion they have. lower price and got freebies some more. now kicking myself for getting the stuff earlier. i had to buy stuff more than rm100 to get discount of only 10%.

FROM 23 JULY 2009 TILL 31 AUGUST 2009, enjoy the following Introductory Merdeka Sales
1) Buy RM100 and above entitled for 10% discount and FREE Micro Fiber Cloth worth RM13 (whilestocks last)
2) Buy RM180 and above entitled for 10% discount and FREE 1-pc MF Cloth and 1-pc MF ApplicatorPad total worth RM26 while stocks last)
3) Buy RM300 and above entitled for 10% discount and FREE Double Faced Micro Fiber Wash Mitt (hand) worth RM35 (while stocks last).

Current promotion better discount and better freebies.
Duragloss Malaysia Promotion 4th Quarter 2009
I would recommend getting the intermediate pack and the quickie clean and shine pack.

As for the GG, well some folks here have more than needed for use. I have 3, but I am using all of them smile_big.gif

Hope this helps.
It's easy when you know how...

vr2turbo

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,471 posts
For the exhaust dirt, it depends on how far the exhaust tip is from the paintwork.
If nearby, it will constantly get dirty, therefore you will need to polish it every now and then.
For me, I have the same problem, and clay cannot remove them.
Polish or paint cleaner will......... smile_thumbup.gif

kayye

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

kayye

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Bro vx55
Haha, ya I just noticed only. Didn't flip to the next page for the DG exterior products, thought only 1 page blush.gif
Might try Optimum next time, I think I kena DG poison liao smile_big.gif

Bro jackson
Alamak... got promo and free gift now? Aiks... I think I will blow my budget liao... 059.gif
Btw, is Track Claw and Enviroshield advisable to get also?

Bro vr2turbo

Most likey will have to do as you say - clean every now and then with paint cleaner coz the tip really near my bumper. Unless I swap out the Blitz spec exhaust I'm using now to the Phoenix twin exhaust I'm getting for free soon...

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Kayye