Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

True Of Myth Series ----- Na Can Tapau Turbos

• Please log in to reply

bOROi

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

bOROi

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
I am told by a mechanic that if you take two cars, one NA engine and the other a Turbo charged car, both with the same top speed but the Turbo is with superior torque. Now if you raced these two cars on a straight road for say 200 miles, the NA car will win handsdown. The turbo will be infront initially because of the better torque but once both reach the top speed then the NA car will finally overtake the turbo car because the NA car can drive at top speed all the way while the turbo top speed will taper and will not be able to catch up...it seems the power of the turbo will taper off

Is is true and not a myth or my mechanic talking cork?????
Myah United Rules!!!!

rallychamp

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
QUOTE (bOROi @ Nov 25 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am told by a mechanic that if you take two cars, one NA engine and the other a Turbo charged car, both with the same top speed but the Turbo is with superior torque. Now if you raced these two cars on a straight road for say 200 miles, the NA car will win handsdown. The turbo will be infront initially because of the better torque but once both reach the top speed then the NA car will finally overtake the turbo car because the NA car can drive at top speed all the way while the turbo top speed will taper and will not be able to catch up...it seems the power of the turbo will taper off

nope..turbo still wins...its superior torque great for acceleration after corner/overtaking other traffic...(200miles is a long way)...

-the area NA wins is handling on twisty roads because the driver able to fine tuning his throttle control far better and easier than the turbocharged car....

*the case power-curve tappering at higher rpm...the NA and turbo faces the same problem...when reaching its limit both engine wouldn't go any beyond...

inn fact..if the turbo engine was badly tuned with huge turbo lag the NA engine can gain advantage during acceleration over turbo engine... smile_approve.gif

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

artemus

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

artemus

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts
myth or fact?

sometimes its proven oredy rite?
lemans 24 hours endurance

F1 (na i think) race..

daytona speedway...

merdeka endurance race...

who wins a lot?
cheap and fast wont be reliable
fast and reliable wont b cheap
reliable and cheap wont be fast

vr2turbo

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (bOROi @ Nov 25 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this a trick question? If both have same top speed but turbo have better acceleration, how will the NA catch up....ha! ha! smile_big.gif

QUOTE (artemus @ Nov 25 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
myth or fact?

sometimes its proven oredy rite?
lemans 24 hours endurance

F1 (na i think) race..

daytona speedway...

merdeka endurance race...

who wins a lot?

When F1 was in turbo era, it has a displacement of 1.5L only. Then change to 3.0 NA and yet Honda won the next two years on their turbo, before all have to change to 3.0 NA.....

SplitFire

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:55 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Nov 25 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this a trick question? If both have same top speed but turbo have better acceleration, how will the NA catch up....ha! ha! smile_big.gif

When F1 was in turbo era, it has a displacement of 1.5L only. Then change to 3.0 NA and yet Honda won the next two years on their turbo, before all have to change to 3.0 NA.....

F1 cars only 3.0L meh....I thought all 6.0L beast. smile_tongue.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

mosh

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

mosh

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Nov 25 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my car can tapau most of kancil turbo in long run.. smile_big.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Nov 25 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You did not follow F1, or only the races...... smile_tongue.gif
When F1 on 1.5L twin turbo, power churning 800bhp. Initial switch over to V10 3.0L NA they could only get 600bhp.
But as they went along, with new tech, it slowly increased to 800bhp again, but then FIA ruling step in to cut the power for safety reasons.
Now they are running V8 2.4 NA and they are slowly bringing to power back to where they were before..... smile_thumbup.gif

QUOTE (mosh @ Nov 25 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my car can tapau most of kancil turbo in long run.. smile_big.gif

Your displacement is bigger....... smile_tongue.gif

bOROi

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

bOROi

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
[quote name='vr2turbo' date='Nov 25 2009, 03:24 PM' post='1490672']

No bro...this is no trick question. I am told if these two cars with the same top speed are to race on a STRAIGHT road WITHOUT any other traffic, the turbo will be in front first and will reach top speed first. But the NA will also reach top speed later and be tailing the turbo cars but maybe over a mile or so at the most, but the point is I am told an NA car will be able to keep that top speed for the rest of the distance, while turbo tends to taper in its power, meaning it just cannot sustain the top speed for very long, it will slow down and then pick up again.

this means over long distance a car with continuous top speed will beat a car with intermittent top speed. So is it a fact that a turbo car will not be able to sustain top speed over long period???

Bro rallychamp mentioned that when the track haas a lot orf corners, the NA will win??? In this case I believe the turbo will win in this case because with the extra torque it will be able to downshift and speed out of these bends and corners faster than the NA cars.

Myah United Rules!!!!

vr2turbo

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (bOROi @ Nov 26 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No bro...this is no trick question. I am told if these two cars with the same top speed are to race on a STRAIGHT road WITHOUT any other traffic, the turbo will be in front first and will reach top speed first. But the NA will also reach top speed later and be tailing the turbo cars but maybe over a mile or so at the most, but the point is I am told an NA car will be able to keep that top speed for the rest of the distance, while turbo tends to taper in its power, meaning it just cannot sustain the top speed for very long, it will slow down and then pick up again.

this means over long distance a car with continuous top speed will beat a car with intermittent top speed. So is it a fact that a turbo car will not be able to sustain top speed over long period???

Bro rallychamp mentioned that when the track haas a lot orf corners, the NA will win??? In this case I believe the turbo will win in this case because with the extra torque it will be able to downshift and speed out of these bends and corners faster than the NA cars.

You mean, say a turbo top speed at 6k rpm, will drop to 5800 rpm after a while. If still at 6k rpm, top speed will not drop......
Anyway, I am not able to test my turbo that way and I still have my speed cut at 190km/h for safety....... smile_thumbup.gif

V406198

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Nov 26 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean, say a turbo top speed at 6k rpm, will drop to 5800 rpm after a while. If still at 6k rpm, top speed will not drop......
Anyway, I am not able to test my turbo that way and I still have my speed cut at 190km/h for safety....... smile_thumbup.gif

Turbo car will only build up quickly the curve power by the turbo charger with high boost , but once the car was on it peak power the turbo boosting will not contributed much..if you keep high boost the turbine to the max on peak power and very soon you will blow your engine, so for turbo car to keep remain the top speed with high boost in long distance will cause few issues in cooling systems that may effected the ECU to work on limp mode( mean max performance to reduce to safer measure) to protect the engine...

NA car will performance on another way with slowly build up curve power (unless your NA are big Vtec that can rev in high rpm) but once it on peak power it will just maintain the peak power easily as the NA engine are just love the high flow pressurize in take and will be less problem with cooling systems...

above comments are base on both car are traveling in 80% peak power in long distance..
2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.