Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

What Is The Oil Change Interval

• Please log in to reply

vios2000

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Dec 27 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The official answer is "no".

The moment oil is being put into the engine, it will start to deteriorate, even if you seldom use the car. With short trip like yours, it is putting even more stress on the engine oil when compared to another engine doing long distance every day. For example, water is produced in combustion and during long distance driving, there is enough time for those water will be burnt off. But with short trip, you do not give the engine enough time to burn off those water and those water will contaminate the engine oil so oil deteriorates faster.

In real life and normal driving, everybody does it and that proves one thing: nobody need to get paranoid about engine oil. As long as you stick to Toyota's car manual service interval, no need for those super expensive Synthetic. It is an overkill.

Bro tourist,

I notice the following:
The smoothness or "draggability" of the oil used in my previous Vios are as follow:
Synthetic>semiSyn>mineral.

I used synthetic oil before, and the moment i press on the accelerator, I feel the engine much "lighter" and willing/easy to rev as compare to semi or mineral engine oil.? Why ah?

Tourist

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (vios2000 @ Dec 29 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro tourist,

I notice the following:
The smoothness or "draggability" of the oil used in my previous Vios are as follow:
Synthetic>semiSyn>mineral.

I used synthetic oil before, and the moment i press on the accelerator, I feel the engine much "lighter" and willing/easy to rev as compare to semi or mineral engine oil.? Why ah?

Synthetic oil are more 'slippery'. Castrol own studies show a 5% FC improvement.

But when it comes to engine protection, in real life, no different as long as it is OK'ed by the Toyota.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

vios2000

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Dec 29 2009, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Synthetic oil are more 'slippery'. Castrol own studies show a 5% FC improvement.

But when it comes to engine protection, in real life, no different as long as it is OK'ed by the Toyota.

Bro Tourist,

Agreed with you statement. That's why TYT never mention to use synthetic oil in the manual. However, the SA are all bull shitting to use syn oil to boost their sale.... smile_disapprove.gif The same goes to Nissan SA, my research on slyphy confrim it. why those SA cannot be "honest" to the customer but always try to frighthen customer by all the blablabla..... smile_disapprove.gif

Tourist

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:10 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (vios2000 @ Dec 29 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro Tourist,

Agreed with you statement. That's why TYT never mention to use synthetic oil in the manual. However, the SA are all bull shitting to use syn oil to boost their sale.... smile_disapprove.gif The same goes to Nissan SA, my research on slyphy confrim it. why those SA cannot be "honest" to the customer but always try to frighthen customer by all the blablabla..... smile_disapprove.gif

These SA bull shit Modus operandi tag is "Synthetic is twice as expensive so will last twice as long" smile_clown.gif

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

Joytoy

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:42 AM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
Hey guys ! Are we still arguing over this.

If you can afford it, use the fully synthetic. if not use the semi & again if not use the mineral.

To me when I swap the mineral with the synthetic, I felt immediate difference. So no matter what the argument will be, I would prefer the synthetic over the mineral. And I change the EO at 8k-9k together with the oil filter.
Why ? Because I felt it myself the moment i threw the mineral out & swap it with synthetic. To me the price diff is justified in the drive satisfaction. I also feel that FC is better with the syn, however that is not confirmed with certainty but I really feel & believe.

So guys, enjoy your ride & use the EO as what you would expect them to do.

Tourist

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:23 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Dec 30 2009, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you can afford it, use the fully synthetic. if not use the semi & again if not use the mineral.

To me when I swap the mineral with the synthetic, I felt immediate difference. So no matter what the argument will be, I would prefer the synthetic over the mineral. And I change the EO at 8k-9k together with the oil filter.
Why ? Because I felt it myself the moment i threw the mineral out & swap it with synthetic. To me the price diff is justified in the drive satisfaction. I also feel that FC is better with the syn, however that is not confirmed with certainty but I really feel & believe.

We are talking about 2 different thing. Oil "slippery-ness" and Oil Change Interval. As I said, I agree with the former but not the later and nor do the oil manufacturers themselves. If they do, they would have put it in Black & White and I have never seen that.

simonlim

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Dec 30 2009, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this topic is boring too. as far as i know, i just change the EO when the car feels lag. everybody thinks differently, so i dont think there is a need to argue also. who cares what kind of EO we use?? just change to whatever it is and satisfy ourselves with the ride then enough la right?
<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30