Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

What Is The Oil Change Interval

• Please log in to reply

Joytoy

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:37 PM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Nov 23 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The service interval is 10,000km now be it mineral oil or semi or fully. You want to service at 5000km also can. No one stops you. Warranty still stands at 10,000km interval. What about Honda or Nissan, is it at 5000km ? Thanks.

The drive feel is definitely different between mineral, & synthetic.
You can feel the difference immediately.

Use the synthetic one at all times if possible.

yowwei

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

yowwei

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
smile_sleepy.gif

Tourist

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:32 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Nov 23 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The service interval is 10,000km now be it mineral oil or semi or fully. The argument stops here. Thanks.

But I am wondering why:
1. The service booklet for recording section still list 5000-km. It legally implies you must do it at 5000-km to maintain warranty.
2. The salesman confirm the 5000-km.

So I don't think the argument can stop when you do it at 10,000-km and Toyota void your warranty.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

ring

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

ring

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
Tourist,

The idea to get you commit service @ 5,000 KM is very simple & apparent.

They get incentive from lub company. They get incentive from manufacturer for service work done. They want you to come often so that they 'suck' $$$ from you in name of warranty cover.

Moreover, Japanese car is made of simple systems with very little electronic sensors. All mechanical parts rarely have severe problem.
Ring

"IDEMITSU engine oil and YUASA Battery...A truely Japanese quality product"

scenic

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Nov 24 2009, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I am wondering why:
1. The service booklet for recording section still list 5000-km. It legally implies you must do it at 5000-km to maintain warranty.
2. The salesman confirm the 5000-km.

So I don't think the argument can stop when you do it at 10,000-km and Toyota void your warranty.

I don't see any point of disputing here. Am driving one Toyota and I service my car every 10,000km since day one. My service book also stated 10,000km. Like I said if you want to service at every 5,000km also no issue, your money anyway. The SA can also record down in your service book as it is provided there with 5,000km, 10,000km, 15,000km and so forth. Even my SA also told me to service every 10,000km except the first two service which was at 1,000km and 5,000km. This issue has been discussed over time again and again. You walk into any Toyota Service Center by UMW, it is clearly stated at 10,000km. Where's the issue of warranty ?
director's choice

scenic

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (ring @ Nov 24 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tourist,

The idea to get you commit service @ 5,000 KM is very simple & apparent.

They get incentive from lub company. They get incentive from manufacturer for service work done. They want you to come often so that they 'suck' $$$ from you in name of warranty cover.

Moreover, Japanese car is made of simple systems with very little electronic sensors. All mechanical parts rarely have severe problem.

Ring,
This is not true of what you said above. The first time I walked into a UMW Toyota Service Center, the ppl there already told me clearly to come back at every 10,000km for service interval. I hope you have proof to substantiate your comment above.
director's choice

ring

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:38 PM

ring

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Nov 24 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ring,
This is not true of what you said above. The first time I walked into a UMW Toyota Service Center, the ppl there already told me clearly to come back at every 10,000km for service interval. I hope you have proof to substantiate your comment above.

That ppl whom told you about the service interval...can't even tell, explain or undertstand properly about the API oil rating. Wonder why you took their bait so easily.

Ring

"IDEMITSU engine oil and YUASA Battery...A truely Japanese quality product"

Tourist

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:59 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Nov 24 2009, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see any point of disputing here. Am driving one Toyota and I service my car every 10,000km since day one. My service book also stated 10,000km. Like I said if you want to service at every 5,000km also no issue, your money anyway. The SA can also record down in your service book as it is provided there with 5,000km, 10,000km, 15,000km and so forth. Even my SA also told me to service every 10,000km except the first two service which was at 1,000km and 5,000km. This issue has been discussed over time again and again. You walk into any Toyota Service Center by UMW, it is clearly stated at 10,000km. Where's the issue of warranty ?

Few thing you are confused about:
1. I have absolutely no intention of doing it at 5000-km like you claimed. Don't know where you got that funny idea.

2. I have every intention to keep my warranty intact. What the SA told you DOES NOT count so he can say anything he wanted with the famous rubbish about FS can last twice as long as Mineral because it is twice as expensive or claiming pig can fly. What I wanted to know is, what is Toyota's position on this because the service record clearly states 5,000-km, 10,000-km, 15,000-km like you mentioned. And if do the calculation, that means Toyota is saying service every 5,000-km.

3. Have you ever claim expensive engine warranty to ascertain your warranty still intact with 10K-km service?
I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

Joytoy

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Nov 24 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3. Have you ever claim expensive engine warranty to ascertain your warranty still intact with 10K-km service?

Thankfully, most Toyota engines & GB easily last way past the warranty period of 100k km.

Tourist

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Nov 25 2009, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thankfully, most Toyota engines & GB easily last way past the warranty period of 100k km.

If everybody is 100% certain their engines & GB will never go wrong, many people would not have wanted to have their service done at UMW Toyota SC with their far higher price. The fact that they wanted to go to UMW SC shows many people are concerned about warranty issue, hence my question in this forum.